Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Cereal Grains and cover crops

I also encourage including a red clover for plowdown with your cereal grains although it can be frost seeded later on.

Plant 8-12#'s per acre... Alta-Swede Mammoth Red Clover seed source

You can overseed most any of these combimation into standing corn, soybeans and brassicas if they are not to thick. Just before a rain would be best.

Rye and Hairy vetch

Winter rye

Triticale

Seed source

Hairy Vetch

Hairy Vetch I.D.

Hairy Vetch info

Hairy Vetch as a Cover Crop

Austrian Winter Peas seed source

Getting ready for rye, AWP, hairy vetch and red clover right after Labor Day

Oats already seeded and fertilized. I'm going to plant some rye plots next to the oats, and both are along side alfalfa and brassicas...we'll see which they prefer and when.

DBLTREE

Thanks for the replies. So all I have to do is mow it down to ankle high or so in the summer and fall?
Next year u would be best off killing right before seed is done forming. That’s for maximum tonnage of organic matter. U can do earlier with + & - to that. Worst case..... goes to seed & u rotate into brassicas.... nothing clethodim & crop oil can’t clean up.

Next year u would be best off killing right before seed is done forming. That’s for maximum tonnage of organic matter. U can do earlier with + & - to that. Worst case..... goes to seed & u rotate into brassicas.... nothing clethodim & crop oil can’t clean up.
^^^^^^^ Leaving it until brassica time is a really good practice for a lot of reasons. My favorite one is that you will have nearly ZERO weeds!!!! The allelopathic properties of rye against most weeds is awesome!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Here’s a full example of dbltree rotation. Use imagination on other side of hill where I’ll drill in other 40-45% into the above cereal rye mix of dbltree’s. 10-20% clover/alfalfa left in the erodible area & rotate brassicas with rye mix yearly. Deer have one little pinch by my stand with rub & scrape in a fence gap but otherwise - plot kinda keeps em moving through or around so able to wait until nothing is close to stand for a clear exit at end of hunt. My goal (not always attainable) is to have a stand or blind by food where deer don’t just sit in front of me the whole time. I want them MOVING through & continuing on. Allows for less pressure, less spooking deer & clean entrance/exit in most of the cases. Never perfect but one goal with where & why I plant around a stand or blind.

^^^^^^^ Leaving it until brassica time is a really good practice for a lot of reasons. My favorite one is that you will have nearly ZERO weeds!!!! The allelopathic properties of rye against most weeds is awesome!!!

Don't you run the risk of the rye using up nitrogen rather than fixing it if seed reaches maturity?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Don't you run the risk of the rye using up nitrogen rather than fixing it if seed reaches maturity?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I don't believe so because the nutrients will be stored in the root system and then release once plant mature and dies...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Just checked a brassica plot and it didn’t germinate at all. My question is do you all think if I went in the 21st timeframe and broadcast winter rye it’d be worth it or am I going to be too late for anything?

Just checked a brassica plot and it didn’t germinate at all. My question is do you all think if I went in the 21st timeframe and broadcast winter rye it’d be worth it or am I going to be too late for anything?
absolutely not! plenty of time for rye. may not get as tall as youd like but its going to be alot better than nothing. I would also think about adding some oats as well. pack or drag if possible or just broadcast and hope for rain

Yeah not even close to being too late. Get er' done. Extended forecast looks unseasonably warm too. Goodluck!

So if I was going straight winter rye in a field would that be 100#/acre for seed rating?

I’m trying to find treated urea so I don’t have to disc anything but, I’m having a hell of a time finding it in eastern Iowa.

So if I was going straight winter rye in a field would that be 100#/acre for seed rating?

I’m trying to find treated urea so I don’t have to disc anything but, I’m having a hell of a time finding it in eastern Iowa.
yes 100#'s....also urea is not needed for rye...it literally grows on concrete

If u guys pick up peas, or anything else... fire up some pricing. It’s pretty crazy some of the differences in pea pricing. I’ve seen a 50 lbs bag of peas go for $25 all the way to like $60. At 50 lbs an acre - or a pretty high rate - they are expensive!!! Every year I need to think back on pricing & do a little cost comparison. I’ll fire up some for the year as I buy oats, rye, triticale, peas, radish, etc. I buy bulk for cover crop acres so it’s always 50 lbs bags.

If u guys pick up peas, or anything else... fire up some pricing. It’s pretty crazy some of the differences in pea pricing. I’ve seen a 50 lbs bag of peas go for $25 all the way to like $60. At 50 lbs an acre - or a pretty high rate - they are expensive!!! Every year I need to think back on pricing & do a little cost comparison. I’ll fire up some for the year as I buy oats, rye, triticale, peas, radish, etc. I buy bulk for cover crop acres so it’s always 50 lbs bags.

$42.oo a bag for the Survivor Winter peas ..

Any of you guys who broadcast and walk away, are you having luck adding oats to the mix? Or is too unlikely to get much to germinate, don't waste the effort, just keep it rye? I don't see any string of consecutive rainy days in the forecast to keep things wet. Just a single chance tomorrow night and another chance several days past that.

Any of you guys who broadcast and walk away, are you having luck adding oats to the mix? Or is too unlikely to get much to germinate, don't waste the effort, just keep it rye? I don't see any string of consecutive rainy days in the forecast to keep things wet. Just a single chance tomorrow night and another chance several days past that.
I almost always broadcast and walk away because I'm planting into something else such as standing beans or thin area in brassicas. This is with rye. I don't plant oats. This year with some complete failures on brassicas ill prolly broadcast and drag or cultipack.

Thanks, I'm in a similar boat. I do have something like a quarter stand of brassicas that just need thickened up quite a bit. Only asked about the oats because I'm sitting on 3 bags I'd like to get out of my basement. I'll probably blend them in just for the fun of it. They have radishes mixed in already (last years PP cover crop stuff). But I'll probably go with 2 bags of Rye grain per /ac as well.

my plot was a complete failure last time i was down there...i had a few and i mean very few radishes germinate. My plan is to literally mark them with flags(yes that few)...spread some rye, oats and clover and then cultipack it all in hopes of not running over the already germinated seeds(i know this sounds weird but i need this plot to produce food)...i also plan to backpack spray some the weeds that came in first to hopefully eliminate them....been a tough year for plotting unless you had a no til drill...

Top Bottom