Cereal Grains and cover crops

Discussion in 'Dbltree's corner' started by dbltree, Aug 25, 2006.

1. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

I also encourage including a red clover for plowdown with your cereal grains although it can be frost seeded later on.

Plant 8-12#'s per acre... Alta-Swede Mammoth Red Clover seed source

You can overseed most any of these combimation into standing corn, soybeans and brassicas if they are not to thick. Just before a rain would be best.

Rye and Hairy vetch

Winter rye

Triticale

Seed source

Hairy Vetch

Hairy Vetch I.D.

Hairy Vetch info

Hairy Vetch as a Cover Crop

Austrian Winter Peas seed source

Getting ready for rye, AWP, hairy vetch and red clover right after Labor Day

Oats already seeded and fertilized. I'm going to plant some rye plots next to the oats, and both are along side alfalfa and brassicas...we'll see which they prefer and when.

DBLTREE

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Sligh1

Next year u would be best off killing right before seed is done forming. That’s for maximum tonnage of organic matter. U can do earlier with + & - to that. Worst case..... goes to seed & u rotate into brassicas.... nothing clethodim & crop oil can’t clean up.

4. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

^^^^^^^ Leaving it until brassica time is a really good practice for a lot of reasons. My favorite one is that you will have nearly ZERO weeds!!!! The allelopathic properties of rye against most weeds is awesome!!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Sligh1 and EatSleepHunt like this.
  5. Sligh1

Here’s a full example of dbltree rotation. Use imagination on other side of hill where I’ll drill in other 40-45% into the above cereal rye mix of dbltree’s. 10-20% clover/alfalfa left in the erodible area & rotate brassicas with rye mix yearly. Deer have one little pinch by my stand with rub & scrape in a fence gap but otherwise - plot kinda keeps em moving through or around so able to wait until nothing is close to stand for a clear exit at end of hunt. My goal (not always attainable) is to have a stand or blind by food where deer don’t just sit in front of me the whole time. I want them MOVING through & continuing on. Allows for less pressure, less spooking deer & clean entrance/exit in most of the cases. Never perfect but one goal with where & why I plant around a stand or blind.

Jbohn likes this.
  6. DannyBoy

DannyBoy Well-Known Member

Don't you run the risk of the rye using up nitrogen rather than fixing it if seed reaches maturity?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

7. Tmayer13

Tmayer13 PMA Member

I don't believe so because the nutrients will be stored in the root system and then release once plant mature and dies...

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

8. 2dblind

2dblind Active Member

Just checked a brassica plot and it didn’t germinate at all. My question is do you all think if I went in the 21st timeframe and broadcast winter rye it’d be worth it or am I going to be too late for anything?

9. Tmayer13

Tmayer13 PMA Member

absolutely not! plenty of time for rye. may not get as tall as youd like but its going to be alot better than nothing. I would also think about adding some oats as well. pack or drag if possible or just broadcast and hope for rain

10. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

Yeah not even close to being too late. Get er' done. Extended forecast looks unseasonably warm too. Goodluck!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Tim Hull likes this.
  11. 2dblind

2dblind Active Member

So if I was going straight winter rye in a field would that be 100#/acre for seed rating?

I’m trying to find treated urea so I don’t have to disc anything but, I’m having a hell of a time finding it in eastern Iowa.

12. Tmayer13

Tmayer13 PMA Member

yes 100#'s....also urea is not needed for rye...it literally grows on concrete

13. 2dblind

2dblind Active Member

Perfect. That’s the best possible answer I could of got!!! You’ve been my personal food plot guru this week haha. Thanks for the help.

Tmayer13 likes this.
  14. Jbohn

Jbohn Active Member

Looks like Welters has a new Pea Called Survivor Peas, I grabbed a few bags to try out this September ..Just passing on..

SB3 likes this.