Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Chestnut trees

Bryan95

I've been growing oak trees in rootmakers for about 4 years now and I've began to want to get more diversity and have found a lot of good info on chestnuts and it has really interested me and I would like to hear more from others. My limitation is I don't have a local source to collect chestnuts from like I do with acorns, I don't have a problem buying some but chestnut seedlings aren't cheap compared to bareroot trees. For others growing chestnuts, where have you been getting your trees or seed? What varieties should I look for? From what I've been hearing is that many people like chestnut trees over oaks for deer, so I think they would be a great addition along with the oaks on the farm

Lots of seed when they start dropping on ebay. I've gotten some from chestnutridgeofpikecounty.com. also. Expect a learning curve on watering. Chestnut likes dry roots. I've done Miracle Gro before but have went to a more porous potting medium. Been raising Dunstan's but looking to add chinese so all the eggs aren't in one basket. Good luck.

Dunstans are susceptible to winter die back as well. I had a number of seedlings that I started from seed last year. They all experienced winter die back, as we all know it wasnt a typcal fall and winter for the upper Midwest though last year. I believe the Chinese chestnuts might have better cold hardiness.

I've been looking at Chinese chestnuts because they seem to be easier to buy and cheaper then dunstans and don't have to worry about blite. When is a good time to plant them?

Timing? Same as any tree, spring or fall. I've found chestnuts to be a medium to difficult tree VS others for being "fussy". Like Goatman said, water & soil type can be an issue FOR SURE. I've had to experiment to get mine tweaked.

I've got Chinese, Dunstan and a few other hybrids like Timbur & some others I can't remember. I'd stick with Chinese. Cheaper and deer won't notice a lick of difference IMO. I've seen both opinions that one or the other is better in our climate but I haven't noticed a big difference either way. Maybe lean towards Chinese being better but not sure.
I've had some die along the way for a variety of reasons. That's why I call them somewhat "fussy". But, you can grow from seed successfully for sure. Unlike my experience with DCO's which I still have yet to be fully successful with growing from seed (can be done, no doubt, just difficult).
Personally, I would NOT go buy a 1 year old Dunstan for $20-25. Now, if it were a 3-4 year old tree, sure, I'd pay well for them (more than $20-25 for sure) but that's a lot for a 1 year old tree from seed. For young trees, seed or Chinese would be my choice or a cheaper option for Dunstans.

has anyone had success with chestnuts or tips for growing and varieties? Thinking about adding some to my apple and pear plantings any info be appreciated

Theisens and walmart have been selling dunstans the last few years. Trees are generally 4-6 ft tall usually $25-$35 win on sale.

Coons got ton of mine this year. I got rid of coon problem but left me with a lot less. Chinese my favorite for a variety of reasons. I still have a lot of other varieties though. Grow them in soil with perlite, vermiculite & a "tree soil" which just passes water more quickly or drains well. Like above, watering is a learning curve. And critters eating them ;). Dang Racoons!! I like rootmakers and I start in cell trays and I just moved these to pots. Smaller growth on top with awesome root systems though. Love em. *few crabapples and dco's mixed in here too. Read on "acorns to oaks" in dbltree section as well
IMG_7911.jpg

I have problems with squirrels here!! They dig up my oaks and chestnuts just to get to the nut. I bought some of the dunstan chestnuts from theisens earlier this year and have had a rough year with the drought but have watered as much as I can and they are still hanging in there.

Top Bottom