Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Chichaqua Bottoms

DeerHunter3

Anyone have any input on the hunting at chichaqua? Lot of pressure? Looks like a good area...I'm new to this part of the state and was simply just looking for opinions on this area.

Buddy tried to bow hunt out there and said lots of people walking their dogs so yes lots of pressure. Worth a shot though.

Haven't really hunted it since college, but I avoid all areas within 45 minutes of the DSM area anymore. Especially if it's flat, close to a highway and easily accessible. Even past 45 min there are good and bad spots though. My best public area has pretty good hunting pressure and I had more squirrel hunters than deer on my last camera pull. There are overlooked pockets where people don't go though, find those and you'll find big bucks.

Looks like a great area if you used a boat to get further back away from the pressure. There's a lot more hunters that wouldn't be willing to walk that far back into a public area. Not to mention if you're further back the people walking their dogs or hunters could push deer your direction. I think if I were to hunt that area I'd be putting in a 14 of 16 foot flat bottom to get to the back areas.

To me some of the area looks super tough to get to, which is what im interested in! My problem may be getting across the south skunk river, not sure how deep it normally is but right now its roaring! Ive got to assume there a trophy caliber bucks around there as the area is giant! Maybe someone can shed more light on this that has hunted there?

Make sure you know all the controlled hunting and special refuges out there. If some one was willing to work at it and get back in away from the dog walkers you could have some great hunting. I've seen some good ones out there while duck hunting.

I hunted out there for about five years (until I bought my place). First year was the best but there are always good bucks running around.

I walked back in a mile, used a beaver dam to cross one of the streams (canals) crossing the bottoms and then set up just south of the refuge part that isn't open until Dec. 1. Lugged a tree stand all that way and even put up a trail cam.

On the plus side, I didn't get the cam stolen! I was far enough off the beaten track that I only got one picture of a human. Didn't get a good buck, but a couple of good chances.

My neighbor met a guy who arrowed a 170 buck out there (had pictures).

Go out there during shotgun at your own peril. I had guys pushing without any idea who or what was down range and the were shooting at anything. There were also a group of hunters who bragged that they bagged two fawns that probably weighed 40 lbs each.

I once crossed the Skunk in late November to grab a dead head. I packed in some river sandals and some shorts, undressed my lower half and put on the shorts. It was COLD! Never deeper than my crotch, tho.

Brian

We hunted there 3 or 4 years a few years ago. There is some good hunting there and I didn't think it was that crowded at that time, may have changed though. We killed a few does and my friends daughter killed her first buck there. Saw a few shooters but never got a shot at one.

There usually is a lot of water in there and the secret is to get back in there where few people venture.

Top Bottom