Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Chosing one ...

isu22andy

Have a deer on camera that is something that I have never shot before and want to take him and only him . Am I setting myself up for a long disappointing season or is it doable ? Has anyone killed the one deer they wanted on camera ?

Those 100", 2 year old 10 points are easy to kill. I think you got a good shot at getting him if you put your time in. I'm pulling for ya bud!

It really depends on you and your goals...I have known people that will target just one or two deer and if they get them they are happy and if they don't, they are still happy. Happy to have had the chance to chase a giant. I have also known people that were freaking out, and I do mean freaking out, by the middle of November if they haven't connected on Mr. Big.

Do what makes you happy and only you can answer that. I know that I went through a period years ago where I was determined to shoot a Booner, and only a Booner. Well guess what...after about 5 years of that I decided that I was OK with shooting a sub-Booner every year or so. :) (Note - it didn't help my case that I was then hunting an area where Booners were exceptionally rare, as in...there weren't any. :))

So if you have a nice one on cam and you really want him AND you won't be miserable if you don't get him...I say go for it.

I spent a whole season in 2012 holding out for a giant, and then found out he had died of EHD early on in the season. I spent another whole season holding out for a giant and actually almost made it happen, but didn't kill that one either. I don't regret either season. That being said I think I would have trouble passing a 160+ just to hold out for one deer.

It's a mental battle. When I finally shot a buck I had chased for 4 yrs, it was more circumstances than anything. For the first time in that period, I did not have him on camera the year I shot him and didn't even know if he was still around or alive.

Have a couple in mind if possible, but prepare yourself to accept going without a harvest and like Daver stated, and more than anything - be thankful for the opportunity.

do you have history on this buck? Are you sure come october he wont relocate? I always have a deer that is my top priority- but unless it is truly a once in a lifetime deer- I usually have a few I am willing to take and also wouldnt pass up a mature passing through buck

I have done it without any regrets. Twice actually. Both times I saw the deer and actually had them both within bow range. Neither one offered me an ethical shot and both took off (one was chasing a hot doe and the other was running off smaller bucks). I ate my tag both years and someone else harvested them during the 1st shotgun season on neighboring properties. To do it you have to be willing to eat a tag sandwich at the end of the year, but for me it was worth it because having those encounters is what it is all about for me.

I haven't killed a buck with my bow since 2010. Partially because I suck, but mainly because I've been pretty much holding out on a particular buck since 2012 (2011 just didn't present anything). I'm with BDahms in that I would shoot any mature buck given the chance. My main issue I believe I had with focusing on one deer is overhunting a particular property. Honestly, after the neighbor killed that deer last year it was bitter sweet. Part of me was obviously let down, the other part was somewhat relieved. Having that deer shot allowed me to take a fresh look at other properties and just helped me relax a little. Not saying it won't happen again, but I won't intentionally pursue only one deer unless I have the opportunity at something enormous. Do I regret it? No. I love the hunt and eating my tag is a fair trade for having the opportunity to chase these animals. In the end it's completely up to you, make your choice and don't question it.

Have a deer on camera that is something that I have never shot before and want to take him and only him . Am I setting myself up for a long disappointing season or is it doable ? Has anyone killed the one deer they wanted on camera ?

The last two years my buddy and I harvested our "hit list" bucks off my farm. For me I might go in wanting a certain buck that I might have on camera but don't go as far as putting it in my mind that's the only buck I want. I think that could lead to a disappointing year.

Simply put being in a good stand is a gift that I enjoy every time I go. I try not making too much of one deer. Adds stress to something that should be enjoyable and also puts pressure on the shot if it may arise. Doesn't mean I'm still not hunting or targeting a particular buck but if something else comes along that fills my goals I will take it and be just as happy.

I have a game plan each year. I have an age and other requirements I won't bend on. I don't own a hunting farm, I depend on private and public ground. Alot of years I don't have a buck at the start of the season I really want. Last year I did and it was him or none. Had a couple chances without getting the ethical shot i wanted and he was killed opener of muzzy. Was one of the most fun seasons I have had in a long time. You must be prepared to fail, and for someone else to get the one your after and some of the ones you might pass. I have been dry since 2013, no regrets. I would rather have something special than 15 135"-155" deer. That is just what makes me happy. May not for the next guy.

I am guessing that you do not own the land you are hunting on, otherwise you would have two tags to work with?

It is a tough call, good luck to you and I hope it works!

I've waited for "the one" several times. Not enjoyable seasons. From my experience, if it is early (before rut), you have him patterned, you have put you eyes on him, and he has not been spooked then maybe it would be worth holding out.

It's much more fun if you not put that kind of pressure on yourself though.

I'm in the same boat this year. Had a new buck show up that is an absolute beast. If he continues to show up or somewhat develops a pattern then I will go all in for him. If he doesn't show up anymore then I will shoot the first shooter that presents a shot during the season.

You can bet that if he's BIG, that other people are trying to kill him as well. If you're fine with the possibility of eating a tag sand which, then I would go for it.

I've waited for "the one" several times. Not enjoyable seasons. From my experience, if it is early (before rut), you have him patterned, you have put you eyes on him, and he has not been spooked then maybe it would be worth holding out.

It's much more fun if you not put that kind of pressure on yourself though.

I think your answer is here. If you feel pressure to shoot a buck I wouldn't pick only one.

Of course doable. If u wanna do it with "somewhat consistency" which is hard anywhere on any farm and luck has to be in equation too.... Consistency requires: "plenty of ground" as in- u are hunting his home range. Low pressure. Food through out fall. Lack of idiots doing stupid things on the farm. Putting in ton of time. Not overpressuing him & making unforced errors. Having great set ups for actual hunt, access, rotation, wind, etc. Seeing the rascal and making the shot!! And that's leaving out a bunch of things. Shooting a mature buck, with consistency that u target each year is extremely hard but for sure doable. Good luck, hope to see some pics come fall!

do you have history on this buck? Are you sure come october he wont relocate? I always have a deer that is my top priority- but unless it is truly a once in a lifetime deer- I usually have a few I am willing to take and also wouldnt pass up a mature passing through buck

This is the part that worries me . No history but I feel confident he won't relocate far due to the ground he is by . A secluded 10 acre patch of trees that is posted heavy due to an old man hating hunters but no other real cover for quite some time . The only problem with the situation is I may only have 2 setups to kill him both on fence lines .

I am guessing that you do not own the land you are hunting on, otherwise you would have two tags to work with? It is a tough call, good luck to you and I hope it works!

Nope do not own the ground . The ground I hunt has no cover. Worried about setting a stand so close to his bedding area and spooking him out of there with my scent ... Does a guy wait till the combine runs ? Also won't have much of a shot because it's straight down since the tree is in the fence line and there's only 4-6 feet of grass before the corn ...

This is the part that worries me . No history but I feel confident he won't relocate far due to the ground he is by . A secluded 10 acre patch of trees that is posted heavy due to an old man hating hunters but no other real cover for quite some time . The only problem with the situation is I may only have 2 setups to kill him both on fence lines .
More details Sorry for the multiple posts .. First time I set camera , checked it after a week - the one was not there ... However yesterday after I went I grabbed the camera thinking I didn't have jack shit on it (only have 6) . He was on there three times within 12 days . One time at 1 AM , one time at 5:30 am and the other at 9 00 pm . There were beds in the fence line but could not tell if they were buck beds or not .

Nope do not own the ground . The ground I hunt has no cover. Worried about setting a stand so close to his bedding area and spooking him out of there with my scent ... Does a guy wait till the combine runs ? Also won't have much of a shot because it's straight down since the tree is in the fence line and there's only 4-6 feet of grass before the corn ...

Not saying this is real smart but I have hung stands in middle the of night during a storm for this purpose.

Not saying this is real smart but I have hung stands in middle the of night during a storm for this purpose.

It's crossed my mind ... My options are 1) till approaching rain and right wind , assault property with 2-3 cams on the fence line back out till hunt time hang and hunt 2) no cams , hang and hunt with right wind of course 3) hang cam and stand , trim tree before a rain and hope it doesn't spook him too much .

Prob won't hunt any of these stands until late October early November unless convinced otherwise .

Top Bottom