Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

City of Ames Gun Sales Ban

pete

I received the below e-mail, please take the time and click on the below link to oppose this!

http://capwiz.com/iowacarry/issues/alert/?alertid=61899521&PROCESS=Take+Action

By now many of you have heard about the absurd actions taken this week by the Ames City
Council where they are taking steps to ban the sale of firearms out of one's own home.

The situation stems from a request made by a resident of Ames back in April wherein he
asked for and received a permit to sell firearms from his own home. Of course, just to
get this permit the Ames resident had to promise to store all weapons in a gun safe, operate
his business only during certain hours of the day, and he volunteered to sell no ammunition
as part of his business.

I'm sure that many of you, like me, know numerous retirees and veterans who legally
sell 1 or 2 guns out of their own homes every year. Often these are some of the most
reliable and trusted people in town!

Now, nearly 6 months after being granted the permit, the Ames City Council has reversed
their earlier decision and are just a few steps away from permanently banning EVERYONE
in Ames from selling firearms out of their homes.

Iowans already have to deal with town after town passing their own gun bans whereby they
try to limit what "city-owned" property you can carry on. IGO members will recall that
last session a bill passed out of the House Public Safety Committee that would ban the
possession of guns, even to those with a permit, in hospitals, town halls, and more "city-
owned" property.

That's why we need you to take a moment and contact all the members of the Ames
City Council immediately and tell them to apologize for their votes this past Tuesday and
to leave our gun laws alone. While they voted to ban these sales this week, this was just a
step in the process, so we still have time to stop this!

You see, when one city government tries to curtail gun rights, it spreads to the next town
and the next town and the next as we saw after the passage of "Shall Issue" legislation in

We need to put the brakes on this right here in Ames, before they try in your town.

So please, take a moment to call and email the members of the City Council and the
Mayor (who publicly supports the measure) today!

Also, please pass along this email to your friends all over the state so that they can get
involved too.

Mayor Ann Campbell
(515) 239-5105
bobanncamp@aol.com

Ward One Representative
Tom Wacha
(515) 981-6895
tom@tomwacha.org

Ward Two Representative
Jami Larson
(515) 292-9083
jlarson101@aol.com

Ward Three Representative
Jeremy Davis
(515) 661-4969
jeremyndavis@gmail.com

Ward Four Representative
Victoria Szopinski
(515) 292-4165
vszopinski@gmail.com

At-Large Representative
Matthew Goodman
(515) 441-0460
matthew@eatfightingburrito.com

At-Large Representative
Peter Orazem
(515) 294-8656
pforazem@gmail.com

Thank you for your support of the 2nd Amendment here in Iowa.

For Freedom,

Aaron Dorr
Executive Director
Iowa Gun Owners

P.S. The City Council in Ames has taken a major step forward in their plan to PERMANENTLY
ban law abiding residents from selling guns out of their own homes as many retirees and
veterans do all across Iowa.

As we've seen, once one town tries to clamp down on our gun rights, other towns follow suit.
That's why it's urgent that you take a moment today and contact the Ames City Council and
Mayor and tell them to apologize for their 6-0 vote this past Tuesday against your gun rights,
before this is tried in your town.

Make sure and send this message to all of your friends using our "Forward to a Friend" link
below.

I called. Don't know why, I don't live in Ames. Don't intend to. Maybe I just like tellin' folks what to do. Either way, Ames residents your welcome. Your government will no longer oppress you. ;)

Last edited:
I don't live in Ames either but I don't want this to happen in other communities in Iowa if Ames set this law in motion.

I'm curious to find out what sparked this push for a ban ordinance. Does any one know?
My guess would be that some hippy found out that their neighbor applied for a permit and threw a hissy fit.
and by hippy, i meant democrat! ;)

This surprises me. I would expect something like this from iowa city but not ames.

Do you think this ordinance will really stop the sell of guns out of homes though? If I have a gun for sell, I'm still going to tell people, and sell the gun off the record like most used guns currently are.

I don't think its a matter of stopping people prior to a sale as much as it is being able to hang them afterward.

Last edited:
I don't think its a matter of stopping people prior to a sale as much as it is being able to hang them afterward.
And we all know how laws are a deterrent, right? :grin:

The average criminal thinks they are too smart to get caught, so consequences don't come into play.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom