Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Clay soil

nemohunter

We had a pipe put in recently and just got about 10" of rain in the last week and it washed all the top soil off the hill leading to the pipe, any suggestions on something to plant on clay? Doesn't have to be a food source, would just like to get something growing on it.

Clover

If there is any top soil left and it stays moist, clover might work out real well. We planted clover on a friends place in mostly clay and I would love to have his clover plot. It is in a lower area.

good luck

Sounds like you have some soil building to do. Rye, clover, winter peas, etc, etc. I might go with a no-till rotation on things that really hold soil & benefit/build soil - which all of these do. I'd also be getting soil in to top shape with nutritional & PH needs. Manure fertilizer would be ideal as it offers so much more including organic matter. Lime as well.

Oh, just saw it doesn't have to be a food source..... Indian and big blue stem, great on clay. I'd probably be mixing with something else like a cool season grass if you really have some major erosion issues. If erosion issues are not that bad (only when you get 10" rains, wow), I'd just do BB & Indian. Indian being the best for poor soil in my opinion. Or trees may be an option if it wouldn't screw up some major dirt project you did (not sure exactly what situation you're talking about).

Last edited:
Top Bottom