Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

cleaning muzzleloader

boonerz

Hey guys

I'm a bow hunter so not much background with muzzleloaders. I got a muzzleloader and took a buddy's 12 year old son out to shoot his first deer this last year and can't seem to get it real clean. I know they corrode easily and I've cleaned it twice but still looks like it could be cleaned every month and still not get completely clean. Curious what products and methods you guys use to clean them. Any help appreciated.

What kind of powder did you use and how many times was it shot prior to cleaning?

sounds like who ever used it before you did not take care of it, try the foaming bore cleaner and leave it set for a hour and repeat as needed

sounds like who ever used it before you did not take care of it, try the foaming bore cleaner and leave it set for a hour and repeat as needed

I would agree. Was it a used gun? If it was, be sure to check for any pitting in the barrel.

I have an old night my grandpa gave me. It was a rust covered filthy mess. I spent hours cleaning it. Make sure to use bore butter after a good cleaning. It will prevent more corrosion and rust in the barrel. Also if its pitted Like mine, i would recommend a sabot.

It is a Knight my grandpa bought brand new about 5 years ago. He is a clean freak when it comes to his gun so I know he cleaned it after every use but still doesn't seem to matter.

When I say it seems like it could be cleaned every month I don't mean its absolutely filthy, just seems like after you get it clean, put the grease on the threads and let it sit for a month or so you can start seeing the rusty dirt starting to appear on it again. Just wondering if we are not using the right cleaning products/method? Appreciate the help so far. I will try some foaming bore cleaner and maybe that will help it.

Overall, I think its in pretty good shape considering its age. That powder just gets everywhere and hard to get in all the nooks and crannies.

Thanks for the help

I believe Triple 7 is water based, so use soap and hot water to clean. An oil based cleaner will make a mess and probably leave a lot of residue behind. Also, make sure it is really dry before putting it back together. I will usually clean mine and leave it disassembled for at least overnight then run oil through it and put it back together. Good luck!

I've been there before with cleaning a black powder barrel that had light rust from one end to the other. Here are the steps I used with success. The fella told me it never rusted again with proper cleaning.

1. I started off with getting all the loose stuff out with a few strokes using a nylon brush dipped in an appropriate BP solvent followed by dry patches.

2. Next, you need to get all the embedded crud out that hides at the base of the riflings ( If you don't, this crud is only going to collect moisture again and you could be right back where you started. )

3. Now comes the heavy-duty 10-10 scrubbing showing no mercy ( learned this one from a gun smith). Take a brass brush and put JB Bore Paste ( blue lettering ) on it and run it ten times along the length of the barrel. Let if sit for 10 minutes, then run a few solvent-soaked patches down the the barrel again followed by a few dry ones.

4. If the barrel is still dirty repeat step 3. On the barrel I cleaned, I had to repeat Step 3 three times.

That's just one way based on the products I always keep on-hand. There are many other ways.
If the barrel does have pits from rust, Do not use Bore butter, use an oil after cleaning
Dave

Last edited:
Get the water as hot as you can and mix with dawn dish soap. After inside of barrel is clean and dry lubricate inside of barrel with t/c bore butter. Will work if barrel has been taken care of in the past.

Get the water as hot as you can and mix with dawn dish soap. After inside of barrel is clean and dry lubricate inside of barrel with t/c bore butter. Will work if barrel has been taken care of in the past.

Always used this same method cept I use a different lube for the barrel. I was taught this many years ago by my grandpa (back before in lines were around). It's never failed me.

I've always used hot water and ajax to clean my muzzleloaders at the end of the season. This combo really cuts the old grease that the breach plug leaves behind and totally breaks up sabot and powder residue. I like to use a wire swab to scrub out the breach plug threads really good. Let the parts air dry and then give the barrel, trigger assembly and action a squirt of hoppes #9, wipe the barrel down with a rag soaked with hoppes #9.

Agree with the hot water, Dawn and bore butter. Works very well. I am also assuming it's a blued barrel?? If you plan to ML hunt for many years, my advice would be that the stainless steel barrel is worth every penny and much more forgiving if you don't get the gun cleaned for a couple days after shooting it. Good luck.

NWBuck

Top Bottom