Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Climbing Sticks

looking to purchase a nice set of climbing sticks and I'm really intrigued by the Muddy Aerolite sticks but at only 32" a section coming in packs of 3 does that really get you high enough to a comfortable spot? Ive noticed a lot of other sticks come in the same dimensions. Any other suggestions for sticks

Big game makes muddy sticks. They have the same stick without the muddy name on it on clearance on their website. As for getting you high enough? I like to use 4 sticks. I am now using 3 LW and one Aerolite. Aerolite at the top. Having the steps on both sides is nice when your hanging the the stand and climbing in and out.

Look at X-stands. They have some nice sticks, personally I am going to get rid of most my others and go to these. I really like that you can get your whole foot into the step and that it is serrated for grip.

I've been using Lone Wolf sticks for a few years now, and I love them. 32", light, and very packable. I know the muddy sticks come with ropes (used to anyways), but I dont mind the straps on the LW sticks at all. Wrap them in hockey tape and they are much better to handle.

The only downside of them is that they only have a step on one side, but I don't really mind that either. I've also heard the muddy sticks are kinda loud.

I usually use 4 sticks to get to the height I want, although I could add a 5th stick if I needed to get higher.

Big game makes muddy sticks. They have the same stick without the muddy name on it on clearance on their website. As for getting you high enough? I like to use 4 sticks. I am now using 3 LW and one Aerolite. Aerolite at the top. Having the steps on both sides is nice when your hanging the the stand and climbing in and out.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Big-Game-Treestands-Platinum-Pro-X-Climbing-System/1620063.uts

If you are referring to these sticks then I'll give my personal review of them. I currently use them on my hang and hunt stand. With 4 steps I'd say I can get 16' in the air, but I have long legs beings I'm 6'4". The are more stable then the muddy steps that have the cam/rope straps, but are more noisy. At three pounds each they can weigh your setup down a little bit, but I carry an aluminum stand so the combined weight is minimal. The cabela's price on them right now is pretty hard to beat. And lastly they stack decent, but strapping them to a stand for transport can be somewhat of a pain.

If you are looking for a rock solid set of sticks that are silent i'd suggest Gravity Forward Climbing Sticks. They have a rating of over 750#, each section is attached via ratchet strap, rubber coated d-rings, and the crimped ends fit together perfectly so there is no noise. Depends if you are wanting to be mobile, but if you have a permanent location id suggest giving them a try.

Heres the link

Whatever you get, alot of guys started modifying their sticks so they can get more height out of 3 sticks to save weight. I'm planning on adding straps to the bottom of my sticks in a loop and putting some type of rubber/plastic for footholds. If you google "climbing stick modifications" and look at images you can see what others have done. Great idea to add height and save weight.

Top Bottom