Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Clover Plot Question

DarkArcher

Lung Buster
Hey guys - with a few recent rains my clover plot is starting to green back up a bit here in Monroe County. I have a few questions. This was originally going to be a plow down type of plot but with these rains coming so late in the summer I decided to keep what little food I did have rather than attempting a new plot and not getting any rain.

With it greening back up would it be a good idea to mow now? Too much stress and not enough growing time now? The plot is really clean as far as weed competition goes.

Also, any type of fertilizer or boost I can give it, as it looks that we might catch a few more rains and cooler weather for a bit.

Thanks!

P&K is always a good idea on clover. A $8 soil test would tell you exactly what you need if you wanted to do it "textbook"

If no weeds, I would not mow.

you could add more clover to thicken it up or even add cereal grain to it and terminate that in the spring very easily and keep the clover.

Thanks for the insight, that was my thought on not mowing as well. Its my 1st owned farm and we have had a ton of projects going and I know I need to spend a little more time focusing on the PH's on some plots even though we throw down P&K.

Here are a few before and after pics of this particular plot. From being burnt and cleared to planted with oats and clover.....I never did get back to get a great pic of the clover once it had been mowed and the clover really started to out grow cover crop. It still has a nice stand of clover and is starting to bounce back now, I couldn't be happier for the 1st year on a spring clover plot.

i3dG6k

hTrm6k

bDPZsQ

hmudK5

edene5

iXPymk

df32974b-90b1-4f60-92f2-64e601327fae

Last edited:
Top Bottom