Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Clover - when to plant?

deadeye

So I have an acreage between Cedar Rapids and Iowa City. I have about 2 acres on top on a ridge. Some of it is house yard. I have some grass with a little bit of clover in the yard. The yard is thin. I am planning on overseeding Dutch White Clover yet this fall (instead of grass seed) in the front house yard. Behind the house I have a mix of Jumbo Ladino White and Alice White and Kura White. I basically have the same thing - some grass some clover situation going on. The farthest away gets less light and isn't quite as bare but I haven't had a lot of luck getting clover going via frost seeding methods. I keep it mowed for weed control, but the clover isn't thick enough to choke out the grass yet. I basically only have a lawn mower. I was thinking to mow short mid Aug before a rain and broadcasting it and then hoping to get it rained into the ground. If worse case I can run a sprinkler around. How would people recommend planting this to have the best luck? It seems some people like fall planting, some like frost seeding, and some like spring. I have the seed now and would like to get things going sooner than later, but don't want to waste the seed either. I was leaning towards fall planting (mid Aug). However I am open to recommendations. Please let me know. This cool weather in the forecast has me a bit antsy...

I will be planting my fall clover plots in 2 weeks i use oats as a cover crop anytime now should be good just pray for rain !!

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

Never really woried to much maybe 60 to 70 pounds ? Just a bag from co op per acre . i till field then spread lime and fert and oats then light till again . cultipac spread clover seed cultipac again ! Hope for rain !

Sent from my RS501 using Tapatalk

Im not sure how the weather is up there, but you want to wait til fall. Clover is slow to establish, so plant a nurse crop with it as others have stated. Oats, wheat are great for this. You can also throw in some brassicas. Don't expect anything from your clover til next spring. You can over seed and you should be fine. Spring planting clover is a no no. Frost seeding is great too. If you want, you can spray the grasses with cleth and knock out the grasses without harming the clover. Good luck

Top Bottom