Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
Here's a white clover plot that is 8 years old. I did this by hand and it is about a 1/4 acre. It is in the middle of a timber and I fight sedges all the time. It has been frost seeded a couple of times. Took awhile on the stumps but most are gone now.

picture.php

Wow Goatman, that looks really awesome. You got it figured out! Absolutely can keep clover going "forever" if you frost seed and fight weeds.

Just curious.... How did you deal with sedge and stumps? I've used round-up on sedge before and kept up with mowing but a few different tactics, curious what you've done. I've also got some hidden plots with stumps - I know some guys have a way of burning them out, grinding them out or waiting til they rot and working them out with bobcats, loaders, etc if a guy can't get an excavator to them or whatever.
Looking good!!!

Didn't do anything to the stumps. They just rotted. I think next project I will find a way to remove them. I started using sedgehammer on it last year. Seems to work but I will have to treat again this year. Roundup will not kill sedge. It just burns it off then it returns shortly.

Didn't do anything to the stumps. They just rotted. I think next project I will find a way to remove them. I started using sedgehammer on it last year. Seems to work but I will have to treat again this year. Roundup will not kill sedge. It just burns it off then it returns shortly.

Sedgehammer didn't kill the clover ?

I've got more white clover seed on hand than the recommended seeding rate of 6# per acre. Will it hurt anything to put it down at a higher rate? How much is too much? Thanks.

I need to spray my clover to knock the grass down. Do I spray now or after the rain? I also have a few little shrub trees starting to come back. Do I keep them mowed or spray those with something?

I need to spray my clover to knock the grass down. Do I spray now or after the rain? I also have a few little shrub trees starting to come back. Do I keep them mowed or spray those with something?

I would mow everything once it is established and spray once temps are up. Clover may also overtake the weeds ans no need to spray afterwards and save some money.

Sure is pretty this time of year. Just mowed for the first time this year to knock down some broadleafs. Grass is completely gone after spraying Clethodim last year. The plot in the far distance is crimson clover and seems to be doing well also. That will be turnips come August.

picture.php

Sure is pretty this time of year. Just mowed for the first time this year to knock down some broadleafs. Grass is completely gone after spraying Clethodim last year. The plot in the far distance is crimson clover and seems to be doing well also. That will be turnips come August.
How low did you mow that?

Awesome looking plot there!!!

Our clover plots have been our best food plots of any as far as reliability, ease of maintenance, and attractiveness to wildlife. We've done a basic white clover mix and just last year added some red in for the heck of it.

We've got some grasses creeping in so it is time to hit them with clethodim but for anyone looking to do a food plot for the first time white clover is tough to beat!
11245789_10101049779800043_3400277266844704058_n.jpg

11210403_10101049779894853_6500048480100896890_n.jpg

Just got a call from my brother that one of our clover plots (the best spot on the farm and the best growing clover plot on the farm) was sprayed by the geniuses who were supposed to be spraying the corn. It's obviously completely dead and brown. Done for. We gave our farmer maps of all of our plots and areas that should not be sprayed, but clearly his guys that went in and sprayed didn't care enough to make sure they got it right. We've had problems with them putting giant ruts in our fields from spraying when it's too wet as well. The most frustrating part is the plot was completely secluded and in an area that they should never have been in. Also, how is it possible to drive over an established clover plot and spray it? I realize people make mistakes but this is just unacceptable and it puts us in a really bad spot for this upcoming season. I'm really just sick to my stomach right now.

Anyways, my reason for posting is to ask a few questions on what our options might be. I know fall planting of clover with cover crops works well for the clover to get established and then come up strong the following spring. However, we want to plant something that has a little stronger draw and lasts longer into the fall than oats will. We absolutely must have something with decent draw for this upcoming bow season. So can rye be planted as a cover crop with the clover? I know rye gets planted later than oats, so I wasn't sure if it's a good option to plant with clover as a cover crop. We're just trying to figure out what our options might be. We know our chances of having a good clover plot for this season are gone, but we still want to have a strong fall food plot and then get the clover going for next spring. Any advice and thoughts are welcome. Thanks guys.

Just got a call from my brother that one of our clover plots (the best spot on the farm and the best growing clover plot on the farm) was sprayed by the geniuses who were supposed to be spraying the corn. It's obviously completely dead and brown. Done for. We gave our farmer maps of all of our plots and areas that should not be sprayed, but clearly his guys that went in and sprayed didn't care enough to make sure they got it right. We've had problems with them putting giant ruts in our fields from spraying when it's too wet as well. The most frustrating part is the plot was completely secluded and in an area that they should never have been in. Also, how is it possible to drive over an established clover plot and spray it? I realize people make mistakes but this is just unacceptable and it puts us in a really bad spot for this upcoming season. I'm really just sick to my stomach right now.

Anyways, my reason for posting is to ask a few questions on what our options might be. I know fall planting of clover with cover crops works well for the clover to get established and then come up strong the following spring. However, we want to plant something that has a little stronger draw and lasts longer into the fall than oats will. We absolutely must have something with decent draw for this upcoming bow season. So can rye be planted as a cover crop with the clover? I know rye gets planted later than oats, so I wasn't sure if it's a good option to plant with clover as a cover crop. We're just trying to figure out what our options might be. We know our chances of having a good clover plot for this season are gone, but we still want to have a strong fall food plot and then get the clover going for next spring. Any advice and thoughts are welcome. Thanks guys.

I would definitely plant rye and clover together in the fall, or just go rye now and frost seed the clover into the rye plot next spring. Totally your choice. The rye will stay green through december all things considered.

Rye can be planted the same time as oats. I do both in August. Clover planted in August with rain will be good enough to draw deer into winter. Deer will graze rye till about 12" tall when the protein leaves it. You could also do groundhog radish,rape,and turnips in July and it will be lush the first part of bow season then draw them later in winter. After brassicas in Feb. you could frost seed your clover back with no tillage. I would probably frost seed rye also at that time. It will take and keep weeds at bay. You have many options and all is not lost.

Depending on where you are & how much row crop is around you, I would plant it to beans now, broacast rye when the beans start to drop leaves & frost seed clover late winter/early spring. If it's not the only beans in the neighborhood, enough will survive & set pods which becomes a great draw later when the weather gets nasty. The young rye provides a green draw if the weather is nicer and will provide a spring cover crop for your new clover.

They've given you some great recommendations. Do you know what chemicals they sprayed on the plot? Was there any residual chemicals applied? I'm not sure if those would affect whatever you choose to plant right away. Just a thought.

Top Bottom