Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company
I checked this plot on 7/27 and it was very dormant and red and really looking bad...a few inches of rain and she's back looking healthy! I'll mow it here around labor day and should be good to go for Oct 1....for reference this was planted last Sept with rye and then lightly overseeded this spring. Sprayed with cleth once to kill the rye and mowed twice
e203298b74c9078c76d99c68d39b4a7e.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Criteria right now to...
MOW:
Mature clover or weedy clover. U must have some moisture in soil and not looking at a dry hot spell. Do NOT mow if u see hot & very dry (drought) in future or are in one.

SPRAYS.. clethodim & crop oil:
Any circumstance where grasses need addressed. Read label. I might avoid it if plants, again, are stressed from heat/drought. Otherwise any case of grass problems, u can spray anytime. Same with Butyrac for broadleaves but u want to catch weeds before too big & mowing is often a better option. Can’t mix butyrac & clethodim/crop oil same tank. Separate sprayings.

Basically: HOLD if drought or heat. Go to town if moisture. 2-3 more mowings, rain dependent & one spraying of clethodim & crop oil is generally sufficient. This will cover 75% of scenarios and weeds.

How much Clethodim should be used versus crop oil? Same for grass in Brassicas?

I have about 1.5 acres of clover that was mowed about 2 weeks or so ago. It has spotted grass clumps all over.

Would I be better off spraying those areas or mowing once more before I leave it for rest of year?

This was all planted about 3 years ago, probably needs frost seeded to thicken up a bit. Just wondering what’s everybody’s thoughts are on how to thicken up a bit.

Thx!

b4b298652ba9fdae451f87d0d72756a3.jpg
427bdbacabdf1587cb33827efac2b1ca.jpg
5433267d7861497917c2a9924c0a047d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have about 1.5 acres of clover that was mowed about 2 weeks or so ago. It has spotted grass clumps all over.

Would I be better off spraying those areas or mowing once more before I leave it for rest of year?

This was all planted about 3 years ago, probably needs frost seeded to thicken up a bit. Just wondering what’s everybody’s thoughts are on how to thicken up a bit.

Thx!

b4b298652ba9fdae451f87d0d72756a3.jpg
427bdbacabdf1587cb33827efac2b1ca.jpg
5433267d7861497917c2a9924c0a047d.jpg

I would just spray it and leave it for the season...in my eyes it doesn't look mature enough at this point in the season for another mowing

Also if I wanted to thicken I would broadcast some seed now after spraying (same day)...with the rains we've been receiving you could easily get some decent growth

Cool. I have a crap ton of white clover seed. I’m just gonna spot spray the grasses with clethodim and over seed all the thinner areas

The grass looking stuff looks like nutsedge. Grass herbicide won't touch it. Roundup just browns it and it comes back.

I've tried sedgehammer herbicide and it kills the clover as well as the sedge. That was spot spraying. Tilling it doesn't work either. It comes back. I just live with it and keep mowed no more than there is. You might get the clover thick enough to choke it out.

I've tried sedgehammer herbicide and it kills the clover as well as the sedge. That was spot spraying. Tilling it doesn't work either. It comes back. I just live with it and keep mowed no more than there is. You might get the clover thick enough to choke it out.
That’s interesting!!! Maybe ended up being super hot dose of sedgehammer since spot spraying? I haven’t used it but good to know!!!!
See if Imox is labeled to kill sedge in clover. Agree on above- mow it would also be next best. U could hit it with glyphosate & it won’t die but it’ll burn it pretty good. I’d look into imox or mow.

** this is only info I found on imox label for sedges.
https://www.keystonepestsolutions.c...e-ai-replaces-raptor-clearcast-and-beyond-901
fed2db3e287fbf18195a7836ae69a28f.jpg

Last edited:
The sedgehammer damage was probably from spot spraying. Basagran is also labeled for sedge. I have not tried it. My small clover plot in the timber always has sedge trying to establish. If I keep the clover thick it keeps the sedge at bay.

I hunt a ton of these micro clover plots. I try to put them off bedding areas in route to big destination food sources. I like that deer pass thru but dont stick around forever. Seems to work well.
fb11b2dd14b1ed127689087cc2aea206.jpg
68b887aa82a843171123bff1adc42654.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom