Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Combo turkey licenses

bowmaker

I have a question for anyone who can answer. Why are we restricted on turkey licenses to either 2 combo or 2 bow licenses only, and why can't a landowner get a license for any season and buy a license for any season with out being restricted to one 4th season. I would realy like to use both a muzzel loader and a primative long bow this year. I am not really complaining, but I sure can't understand the reasoning for these restrictions because I surly won't hurt my turkey population much even with both kind of licenses,

bowmaker,
Don't get me started.
grin.gif
This is probably one of my biggest pet peeves about the Iowa license structure. I don't have a problem with anything else when it comes to the way things work. But this is a burr in my saddle. I have called emailed and wrote and no one can give me a vaild reason as to why you can't have a archery only and a gun bow combination. It makes NO sense. Even though I wasn't given a valid reason I was told "don't look for it to change anytime soon"...Beauty.

I can fully understand the rational behind the different seasons and tag allocations to spread out the number of hunters afield during one particular time period.

But what really flames me is the landowner tag. Why can't a landowner hunt the whole season on his land with their weapon of choice? I mean a dead bird is a dead bird for crying out loud!!!

On your own land it isn't a safety issue with hunter numbers!

I grabbed my landowner license a few days ago...it's bow only and is good for all seasons. I'm assuming that if I would have asked for a gun license it would have only been good for one season?

[ QUOTE ]
I can fully understand the rational behind the different seasons and tag allocations to spread out the number of hunters afield during one particular time period.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is going to be less hunters in the field if you are allowed a gun/bow combo and a archery only as opposed to two archery only. The landowner thing is icing on the cake. It just doesn't make sense.

So am I reading this right. If you get a Gun tag you can't get an archery? I would like to take one with the bow this year but really don't want to give up hunting them with a gun also. My time is limited. So my question is can I get tag for both seasons. Archery and 2nd Season gun?

I've been with Limb Chicken for years, on this also. After chasing them #@%^ birds for three seasons, I wish I could bring out the shotgun,but cant. I have spoken to DNR officers about this also.
Maybe L.C., we need to make a trip to Des Moines next year ?!?!?!

I didn't mean to stir things up much but it is just something that I can't understand, and evidently lots of others can't either.
Double Lung, you can still use a bow for any of the 4 seasons but only for that specfic season and one licence must be for the 4th season, where an archery licence would let you hunt from April 11th to May 20th.

I don't think you stirred anything up...I was just putting on my grouchy hat for a minute...I have the ability to see both sides to pretty much anything however this is one that I can't...
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I have called emailed and wrote and no one can give me a vaild reason as to why you can't have a archery only and a gun bow combination. It makes NO sense. Even though I wasn't given a valid reason I was told "don't look for it to change anytime soon".

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read the regulations so this is only a guess on my part. If the bow license is valid for all seasons and the gun/bow is valid for only one, then I could see where they might think someone would shoot two turkeys with the gun, tagging one with the archery and one with the gun/bow tag. This might be what they are trying to prevent.

My thought exactly. Seems like it could be an excuse to shoot one with the gun and accidently use the archery tag to help your odds at filling the freezer.

Although I would love to kill a bird and chase another with the bow - I feel your pain Limb.

Won't they sell you a gun tag for 1st season and then sell you a bow tag? I understand not both tags at the same time. Buy the first season gun tag now, walk in on the 15th and buy your bow tag. No overlap, no conflict- (?)

I agree, this is a stupid rule, but oh well. It's the one thing that annually gets the mild-mannered Limb to rag a bit
grin.gif

Double Lung...as the old Nike saying goes: Just Do It! I pretended I wanted to shoot one with a bow for 3 or 4 years, but as long as I had the combo tag I always fell back to the gun. Last year I managed to kill my first with a bow...but only because I refused to even put the gun in the truck! It's such a rush that I didn't even hesitate buying the archery only tag this year
waytogo.gif

Besides...with limited time it offers you the greatest opportunity to get out there whenever you've got a couple of hours. Good luck!

NWBuck

[ QUOTE ]
Won't they sell you a gun tag for 1st season and then sell you a bow tag? I understand not both tags at the same time. Buy the first season gun tag now, walk in on the 15th and buy your bow tag. No overlap, no conflict- (?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Pharmer has a good point. The computer system is only as smart as the person who programmed it. Case in point, I bought three or four early muzzleloader licenses last fall. One was either sex, the rest antlerless only county quota. I showed them to a DNR representative before the start of early MZ season and his response was that the system shouldn't have issued them, but since it did, they were valid tags. He went on to say that if it had misprinted the dates (outside of the set season) then the licenses would be valid for the printed dates.
Limb, if you really want to shotgun, give Pharmers approach a try but how will you feel if after buying a shotgun license the system won't let you buy an archery?
frown.gif
frown.gif
That's the risk you would take.

I don't know how smart the system is, but it's still not right. I also disagree with the current structure of the policy. Taking advantage of such a glitch (if it exists) is walking a thin line.
I would have a hard time looking myself in the rear view mirror on the way home from purchasing that illegal bow tag.

Top Bottom