Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Completed Calls!!! DONE!!!

Re: Calls in process....(RE-UPDATED!!)

I got official permission.....
/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

If I understand correctly the top one has the decal on top and exposed so could be scratched off? If that is the case I’ll take the bottom one. Both look good, but I think the decal under the glass would be more durable.

The ‘Bonker

Ok if your putting a gun to my head I would say the top one. Don't shoot please.

'Bonk, I think the logo is actually on the white thing in the top picture, under the glass. That's the soundboard... I think?

You should've heard him try to explain all that crap to me on the phone last night. It was worse than listening to my wife as she tells me about the specifics of anesthesia.

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

I stared at the pictures and what he wrote to explain it for about 10 minutes yesterday. My mind just couldnt comprehend. They both looked the same to me. But i also thought that if the logo was on the soundboard it would get scratched off over time. I didnt want to sound stupid so i didnt choose either. Thanks for breaking the ice Bonks!

I believe it goes sound board, space, glass. the logo on the glass is on the bottom of the glass. so it cant get scratched off. you can scratch it up so its not as clear.

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

haha
ok, the logo is inside the calls, so it will never get scratched off....

the white sound board has the logo on it, the other option has the logo reversed on the inside of the top piece of glass, so it i will never see the elements either.

hope cleared that up some....

/forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

OK, so the white one has the logo on its’ surface but it is under the glass and the second one with the wood showing has the logo on the bottom/underside of the glass with nothing underneath the glass?

What might help me out here, besides a brain transplant (You brought me an Abby Normal brain?) is a lesson in terminology.

What is the top surface of glass/slate/aluminum called?

What is the piece of glass, if used, under the top piece of glass/slate/aluminum called?

Is the second layer, if used, always glass? Can it be slate or aluminum?

Do you always use a second layer?

Thanks.

The ‘Bonker

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fishbonker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OK, so the white one has the logo on its’ surface but it is under the glass and the second one with the wood showing has the logo on the bottom/underside of the glass with nothing underneath the glass? </div></div>

ok, before the call is assmebled, i take the "top" piece of glass, turn it over, and stick a reversed logo on it, so when you turn it over, top side up the logo appears facing in the right direction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What might help me out here, besides a brain transplant (You brought me an Abby Normal brain?) is a lesson in terminology.</div></div>

you are right, there is no help for you

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What is the top surface of glass/slate/aluminum called? </div></div>

The Top...... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif whether it is glass, slate or aluminum, all are "friction calls" and the top or face of the call.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the piece of glass, if used, under the top piece of glass/slate/aluminum called? </div></div>

some may refer to this differntly, but i have always called it the "sound board" this smaller piece of glass adds depth and rasp to the sound of the call, it is unneccesary, but it vibrates when a striker is used on the face or top.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the second layer, if used, always glass? Can it be slate or aluminum? </div></div>

the second layer, or sound board can be slate, aluminum, or glass, some custom call makers use slate on the inside/soundboard, and run a hole all the way through the call and you are able to get good purrs and clucks by using the underside of the slate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you always use a second layer?</div></div>

not always, but i think the slate is louder with a sound board, and i think the glass is raspier with a sound board, but that is my preference and not the end all be all.

hope that helps some....

if you got more questions Bonker, dont hesitate to ask, and i wont hesitate to answer even if i dont know what the heck im talking about...... which is no surprise...

Re: Calls in process....(UPDATED!!)

New ONE
Photo28.jpg

Photo29.jpg

Photo32.jpg

Photo31-1.jpg

Re: Calls in process....(UPDATED!!)

thats pretty awesome Nick!!

i am still waiting on my top material to arrive in the mail, so when i get it ill get those other calls put together...

Re: Calls in process....(Almost Done)

Well, i had to take a break as i ran out of parts, but yesterday i got the soundboards and the top material in the mail, so i am ready to do some final assembling.

Here is where im at, and tomorrow i will finish them up!
DSCN1381.JPG

DSCN1382.JPG

one call will be Slate over glass, and the other will be Glass over Glass

Got em done!

im pretty happy!

I built one Slate over Glass and on Glass over Glass!

here they are!

Call_2_Top.jpg

Call_2_Side.jpg

Call_2_back.jpg

Here is the Glass on Glass, Thanks Rudd for the IW Stickers! they make it look great!!!!

Call_Bottom.jpg

Call_Top_1.jpg

Call_Top_2.jpg

Thanks for following along! hopefully ill have a couple of dead longbeards to prove their legitimacy!

Sweet looking calls there Thomas!!! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I really like the look of them with the different woods.

How do those babies sound???

honestly i was scared to try them as it dont make a lick of difference how they look, its all in how they sound.....

i was really pleased with how they sound. i actually surprised myself!

they will kill birds!!!!

The one with Purple Heart will match my arrows very well! I'll be expecting it soon. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif
You do great work. Thanks for the start to finish.

Top Bottom