Concealed Carry Course online?

Discussion in 'Iowa Whitetail Conference' started by Sligh1, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

Hey guys...
    I'm very well versed in firearms and very well versed in law, defense, iowa's laws on home invasion (not like Castle-doctrine which we don't have & I suppose conceal carry is irrelevant here any way), etc. In my case, I personally feel ok doing the online course. What's the basics of finding a VALID online course and is there any steps in process I should be made aware of? Some courses not accepted or some more expensive than needed? Any help on getting permit appreciated, thanks!

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. meyeri

meyeri PMA Member

I went to 10-8 firearms instructions .com. https://10-8firearmsinstruction.com/

Accepted in all Iowa counties, $25 bucks, all online and very informative and to the point. My wife did it as well.

4. arm

arm Leg

I have been thinking about this as well and following the replies here

5. elscott11

elscott11 PMA Member

10-8 Firearm Instruction. Has a Facebook page to follow. I had a few questions for the guy and he responded quickly.

6. loneranger

loneranger Well-Known Member

Is this just a renewal or firstime ccoarse? Thanks.

7. Cooter

Cooter Active Member

I was told you don't have to retake the class for renewal.

8. HorseDoctor

HorseDoctor PMA Member

Wrong! Plus, you have to take it & renew less than 30 days PRIOR to the time your current permit expires. No "grace" period like a drivers license!

9. Bowhunter500

Bowhunter500 Member

This is wrong. If you want to renew, you have to do it more than 30 days before your permit expires and can use your "first time class certification". If you are within that 30 days, you are required to have the renewal class. If you just let expire, you can use your old certification from your first class to re-up.

Renew using first certification:
    - More than 30 days from expiration
    - Let their permit expire

Renew with renewal course:
    - Within 30 days of expiration.

10. Handcannon

Handcannon Active Member

I took the 10-8 class for my renewal, $15. Very informative about Iowa laws that were never covered in my 1st class. Learned a lot.

11. loneranger

I may have missed it,but can you take this online coarser your first permit?

12. Cooter

Cooter Active Member

Well I guess you better go school the lady at the sheriff's office. I'm inclined to think she knows what she is talking about and knows the rules.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  13. Handcannon

Handcannon Active Member

RENEWALS
    QUESTION: I have a Nonprofessional Permit to Carry Weapons that will be expiring in the next 12 months. What
    do I need to do to renew the permit?

ANSWER: Iowa law specifies that an application to renew a permit must be submitted AT LEAST 30 days prior to
    the expiration of the current permit. An application submitted LESS THAN 30 days prior to the expiration of the
    current permit, or after the permit expires, cannot be accepted as a “renewal” application. Instead, it would need
    to be submitted and processed as a “new” application, which carries a higher fee.

QUESTION: Do I need to complete another training course to renew my Nonprofessional Permit to Carry
    Weapons?

ANSWER: Iowa law specifies that to renew a Permit to Carry Weapons, a person must complete any of the
    acceptable forms of training, OR, at the discretion of the applicant, the applicant may instead choose to qualify
    on a range under the supervision of a certified instructor. Iowa law does not prescribe a particular course of fire,
    so the instructor determines what constitutes qualification. The completion of another training course OR
    qualification on a range must occur within the 12 months prior to the expiration of the current permit. Since an application for a renewal must be submitted AT LEAST 30 days prior to the expiration of the current permit, this
    effectively leaves an 11 month window in which a person must complete training OR qualify on a range.

QUESTION: What happens if I do not submit my application for renewal AT LEAST 30 days prior to the
    expiration of the current permit?

ANSWER: If a person waits until LESS THAN 30 days prior to the expiration of the current permit, or after the
    permit expires, the application will need to be submitted and processed as a “new” application. In such case, a
    person would be required to submit proof of training. There is no timeframe specified for when the training must
    have occurred. A person who misses the “renewal” window and files an application as a “new” application
    cannot present proof of qualification on a range to satisfy the training requirement, unless qualification is part of
    a training course. In other words, the option to simply qualify without completing a training course is ONLY
    available to those who are renewing a permit.

14. meyeri

meyeri PMA Member

Yes, you can take it for your first CC permit.

15. Lucky13

Lucky13 Member

got to www.carryiowa.com this is where i took mine as like you i am well versed in firearms...you register, pay 30$, watch a 50 minute video and take a 20 question test and thats it...easiest thing in the world, then you just take your certificate to the sheriffs dept and get your permit...its literally that easy.......but this class is no recommended for people who knowing nothing or who have never fired a weapon

16. loneranger

Thanks for that info!

17. fatboy

fatboy Well-Known Member

If you are prior military, just need to take in your DD214 to the sheriffs office to obtain a cc permit.