Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Conservaton Long Term

aimfirst

My wife and I visited a lawyer recently to update our will and establish a "trust" where we are putting our land/house into this trust to avoid probate later. As part of the questioning from our lawyer with regards to "what if" type questions, he asked what we would like to happen with our land/assets if there was an accident that took out both of us and our kids...would we want to leave it to a charity etc. That got me thinking I'd really like to leave our land to an organization that would keep the land "land". Not develop it and just keep it wild. I have done some searching and come across ways to leave it to places like Pheasants Forever...but when I read the fine print it sounds like they normally sell properties left to them to fund other initiatives/aquisitions.

Do any of you have experience with or know of an organization that might keep land/property intact for conservation/wildlife?

Any suggestions are appreciated. Obviously I hope we never have to use this option, but while we are going through this process I'd like to give an answer that covers this scenario. Thanks.

Being in the real estate business, we have dealt with this on a few occasions. First question? Do you have family (kids)?

Second, do you want the land in permanent wildlife habitat? If so, you can do that now in most cases.

Selling to Pheasants Forever or DU will result in them possibly selling it or eventually it will become public land.

I guess it depends on your goal and want you want your farm to be in legacy?

I don't know about the county that your land is in, but where I live in Johnson County there is an organization that is pretty well dedicated to doing what you seem to want to happen.

http://www.jcht.org/

The Johnson County Heritage Trust is the name of it, link above. Although I have not dealt with them personally I know someone that works with them and my understanding is that this is a worthwhile, quality organization.

You might give them a call to see if they know of something similar in your area and/or have any recommendations for you.

Failing all of the above...you could just give it to me straight up...I would be glad to take care of it for you and I would even let you hunt it...sometimes. :D :D

You can bequest your land to the Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation, and start earning tax benefits now, while you are still alive.

I was an intern for the Iowa Natural Heritage Foundation in the summer of 2013 and they are a fantastic organization with great people. I highly recommend them and I'd check them out if I were you.

Another way of thinking about this which really has some major benefits, +/-'s to it (I'd do it in a heartbeat) - look into having the WRP program buy it out if you qualify (low land by rivers, etc, long story). Huge check, you keep land, your kids or who ever you want keeps land and you can take that $ and buy another piece while still utilizing your land for conservation. The check and payout is amazing. The downside some might say is, you have to pay taxes on it, ok, talk to your accountant. Lowers land value.... duh, who cares though, they darn near pay you the value of the land and you use it for free for the rest of your life and you control everything the same - just can't tear it up (which is what you don't want to happen). No brainer in my opinion.
'

Awesome stuff guys. Yes i have kids and the scenario was "what happens if the olane goes down on the family vacation". Pretty crappy scenario but probably good to think about. I would love to know it will stay wild. I will check out your ideas, thanks a lot!

Wrp is now called something else (ACEP, I think). Pays so much per CSR point as an average. Requires different amounts of hydric soils in riverine and prairie pothole scenarios. Definitely worth a look.

Agree with the rest, as well. Look into INHF, local CCB's, etc. There are other options, too. Vet them all out with attorneys, estate planners, npo's, etc, make your call, and pray that it was all for nothing and your family stays healthy.

Good luck!

I guess I may have misread your post. I thought you were looking to leave the land to the conservation trust (not to the kids). Re-read it. Ok I see what you are saying.

My concern over the years has been parents leaving property or assets to wildlife trusts/churches/organizations.... Without consulting the kids first. I've seen WW III with families over this.

If the parents cut the kids out of the decision-making and/or proceeds, there probably is a good reason why. It's their property to do with as they please. They probably see their dreams being turned into cash and spent in ways they wouldn't like!!

If the parents cut the kids out of the decision-making and/or proceeds, there probably is a good reason why. It's their property to do with as they please. They probably see their dreams being turned into cash and spent in ways they wouldn't like!!

Everybody's family situation is different, not everyone has kids that appreciate the outdoors/hunting/fishing/habitat works etc... Hunt with their dad and spend quality time in the outdoors.

For me, the boys will inherit all my farms/property. I wouldn't even consider leaving it to anyone else! They have many hours of habitat work great hunts and countless memories on the properties, it is one of the main reasons I bought the land was for them. I consider it (our) land right now.

I feel sorry for parents that can't trust their kids

Another thing to look into is having a conservation easement put on it. Various organizations like NWTF, PF, TNC, etc. can help you put a conservation easement on it, which will help maintain the land in its current state in perpetuity. I'm pretty sure it also lowers your taxes a bit (not 100%) on that one. I've worked with conservation minded ranchers out here and many of them love having a conservation easement put on their land because it ensures that the land can't be split up, subdivided, and sold off for development.

I better re-word that, just to be safe. Simply, make sure it can't be unraveled in the future and a lawyer locks this up legally to the T. Have your attorneys lock this down 100%- lots of instances, personally seen in one instance by me, where it's been unraveled and sold.

Last edited:
Top Bottom