Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Corn Nearly Total Loss

It really is almost impossible to grow small plots of corn when other large ag fields aren't close by. I've tried electric fences and they work good for the deer but the coons can flat out destroy an acre of corn! Since it's illegal to kill coons with fly bait and coke what can a guy do :D. If those two things were challenging enough then drought will finish off the plot for you just when you think things are looking up. Depressing for sure.
Ya, I figured it out... this is just going to happen unless I plan with the crops in the neighborhood. last year little to no coon damage, though there was 130 acres of corn across the road. This year beans across the road and carnage...
Id say I will do all beans for two years and then try it again if I'm feeling up to it....

IMG954182.jpg
IMG954176.jpg
IMG954177.jpg
IMG954178.jpg
IMG954179.jpg
IMG954181.jpg
Maybe its just me but i'm diggin the blind setup...
Thanks buddy. When I broke down and bought the redneck last year I knew that I would want it to be mobile. After dropping the dough on the blind and the lumber for the platform I looked at buying big timbers from Lowes and they were gonna be high... So I cut some black locust poles there at the farm. Shaved them down with the chainsaw and secured the posts to them with big Azz ring shanks spikes. It turned out pretty rock solid.
IMG954182.jpg
IMG954176.jpg
IMG954177.jpg
IMG954178.jpg
IMG954179.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks buddy. When I broke down and bought the redneck last year I knew that I would want it to be mobile. After dropping the dough on the blind and the lumber for the platform I looked at buying big timbers from Lowes and they were gonna be high... So I cut some black locust poles there at the farm. Shaved them down with the chainsaw and secured the posts to them with big Azz ring shanks spikes. It turned out pretty rock solid.
View attachment 116534 View attachment 116535 View attachment 116536 View attachment 116537 View attachment 116538

All i can say is well done (i'm quite jealous). Looks like you have it in a pretty killer spot as well. Are the skids slick enough you could drag it with an ATV or is it better off with tractor? I've looked at doing something similar but never thought of the skid concept.

All i can say is well done (i'm quite jealous). Looks like you have it in a pretty killer spot as well. Are the skids slick enough you could drag it with an ATV or is it better off with tractor? I've looked at doing something similar but never thought of the skid concept.
I think that a bigger ATV/UTV would drag it just fine. As far as slick enough I am not sure, I would think that the longer it sits in contact with the ground that the bark would break down some and mud get caked into the ridges in the bark. I have moved it with my truck as well.
With that being said, I did hook onto it with my Ranger EV (battery) and it wouldn't budge it. But that didn't really surprise me. The EV is a beast for what it is but probably lacked initial torque to get it moving.
The locust poles are HEAVY, 12-14" in diameter and 16' long. I don't think that I need to anchor it down, though I have anchored it with a single fence post and ratchet strap.

I did something similar with a homemade blind, a little heavier I'm guessing and I used 4x6 timbers for the skies. I moved with tractor no problem but my 800 Polaris took some work. A full jerks and hammering got it moved about 100yrds...then it hit a soft spot and game over. Atv has hemorrhoids now

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think that a bigger ATV/UTV would drag it just fine. As far as slick enough I am not sure, I would think that the longer it sits in contact with the ground that the bark would break down some and mud get caked into the ridges in the bark. I have moved it with my truck as well.
With that being said, I did hook onto it with my Ranger EV (battery) and it wouldn't budge it. But that didn't really surprise me. The EV is a beast for what it is but probably lacked initial torque to get it moving.
The locust poles are HEAVY, 12-14" in diameter and 16' long. I don't think that I need to anchor it down, though I have anchored it with a single fence post and ratchet strap.

Perhaps you could get some scrap tin and wrap the the poles?? Kind of like a pontoon. I love the ingenuity!

The Greatest thing about spring plots is you have time to plant some different food. I am quickly learning that my 1 and 2 acre plots that used to grow well in corn and beans now get hammered since the deer are used to them being hidden after having really good plots with spring beans and corn. Now I just replant if they get hammered or a drought occurs. Almost never too late to plant winter rye or triticale in September also.

Top Bottom