Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Corn Prices

Corn futures have dropped a dollar in the past 3 weeks. Hopefully guys got locked in when it was up over $4.00. USDA predicts third biggest harvest since 1933. I guess between pretty favorable weather throughout the country and another huge number of acres planted there's just nowhere to go with this much corn. Local cash price is at 3.00 and heading lower. Hopefully Iowa's economy and farmers can hold things together until input costs come down to match grain prices.

Last edited:
Corn futures have dropped a dollar in the past 3 weeks. Hopefully guys got locked in when it was up over $4.00. USDA predicts third biggest harvest since 1933. I guess between pretty favorable weather throughout the country and another huge number of acres planted there's just nowhere to go with this much corn. Local cash price is at 3.00 and heading lower. Hopefully Iowa's economy and farmers can hold things together until input costs come down to match grain prices.

Hard to lock in selling a crop I'm not sure I will harvest. We are 9" behind the 10 year average of rain and in a serious drought here. Yards are all brown, corn is curled up and beans are barely a foot tall. If we don't get some rain soon, the combine will hardly be worth pulling out of the shed. Barely over 1" of rain total in the last 6 weeks will not make a crop.

Hard to lock in selling a crop I'm not sure I will harvest. We are 9" behind the 10 year average of rain and in a serious drought here. Yards are all brown, corn is curled up and beans are barely a foot tall. If we don't get some rain soon, the combine will hardly be worth pulling out of the shed. Barely over 1" of rain total in the last 6 weeks will not make a crop.

Did you get missed with last nights storms? Eastern Iowa got hit pretty hard.

My guess is harvest will be down a bit, but I could be wrong. We just got 2 inches that saved the crop here in MN, however, quite a few fields were hit with hail, high wind, too much rain in parts of MN.... Could be just a tiny blip on the big picture though.

Last edited:

How's it compare to 2011 and 2012?

See Drought brought up again. I am not the only one talking about it. I have been blessed with almost 3/4s last night, Inch last week, and 3/4s week before that, but I know west and SW of me keeps getting missed. These Storm Complex Systems keep developing North of I-80 and on up into Minn and Wis, then bend down into Ill in an arch missing a lot of South Central Iowa. Supposed to do the same track tonight.

See Drought brought up again. I am not the only one talking about it. I have been blessed with almost 3/4s last night, Inch last week, and 3/4s week before that, but I know west and SW of me keeps getting missed. These Storm Complex Systems keep developing North of I-80 and on up into Minn and Wis, then bend down into Ill in an arch missing a lot of South Central Iowa. Supposed to do the same track tonight.

Pretty sure that arc resembled a middle finger when I was watching it on the radar..... or so it seemed. haha

$3 almost on the dot I think was the text I got today for selling October corn. Beans I think were like low $10's. So, beans, not so bad really. I mean, sure, not $15 but a heck of a lot better than $7. Looking way back on corn, I bought my 1st farm when corn was about $1.50-$2 a bushel. I think that was like 2002. Dunno, there's been good and bad with the peaks and valleys on prices. one thing is for sure, the peaks and valleys will continue forever. How long they'll last, who frigin knows.

Ok, on the PREDICTION SIDE, here's one schmo's 2 cents (and everytime I listen to experts on anything from stocks to gold to politics to weather, they are wrong)..... I personally saw a heck of a lot of corn planted early that did good. This is across a few states. got in EARLY, caught a lot of good rain and I personally think based on what I'm seeing across quite a vast area, on average, corn yields look "good". this is one Schmo out here looking, one. BUT, if watching farm after farm and various areas of the midwest looking "Good to great", I personally think we're going to look at corn staying about the same for price or adjusting slightly. If we get a big drought for the next month (or WHATEVER for big news on economics, low yield predictions, fall of the US dollar value - WHATEVER), prices will go up, IMO. I doubt this will be the case. If I had to guess, just based on what I see and understanding World Economics at a "pretty decent level".... I'd bet a NICKEL that corn will stay above $3 and below $4, which is a pretty wide spread. don't think it's going to do a lot unless something big changes.

Now, where does this meet any level of thinking for ME or OTHERS I know?????.....
IMO, lock in as much CRP as you can. But, IMO, kinda like barrels of oil bottoming & rebounding from $25-30/barrel - I think it'll be on the way back up EVENTUALLY. So, hopefully folks can do CRP or weather the storm however long it is. I think my mind is gearing towards buying land. that's just me. I think more farmers are going to drop off if corn stays at low $3's. Rent is gonna go down, etc. Land prices- down. OPPORTUNITY for those that like to buy when markets are down and sell when markets are high (obvious but human nature often does the opposite). I dunno, this schmo is looking for some very nearby production ground if i can get some next to me. :) Pushing my buddies to get into CRP right now too. I love the pendulum for CONSERVATION AND WILDLIFE swinging back to the right after about 5-7 years of being too far to the left with CRP being taken out and timber & trees dissapearing faster than I've seen it in my lifetime. I saw 100 year old trees (and call them 100 year old CHOICES being made) being taken out on a WHIM as corn spiked at $7. Often to get an extra acre of JUNK ground to farm. That sickened me. Long rant, sorry.... I actually kinda think fluctuation is good for things and I do feel bad for those who face financial hardships... With markets "high" groups suffer (wildlife, feeding livestock, folks buying groceries, etc), when markets are low groups suffer (farmers, machinery makers, ag companies, real estate values, etc). Big picture stuff here and I personally think a mild correction is healthy for our system. Even though my personal pocket book on grain sales is being hurt by this as we speak - I WELCOME & think it's good to see a modest correction. 2 cents from 1 schmo :)

Last edited:
Makes CRP at $200.00 acre seem pretty Good...
I got some areas that I had a heck of a time not washing out, CSR's were so-so and I've redone the terraces & tile twice because of the huge rains and having to increase tile size. In other words, the field was a mess and raised "mediocre" crops. I put it in 10 year CRP at $209 per acre + $150 sign up bonus. Yes, I spent extra on better seed choice and spraying it far more than required BUT if I had just done the basics, 50% establishment cost (drilled myself and billed for that, spraying, seed, etc).... It's just a no brainer. Probably if you average in the $150 bonus over 10 years or $15/acre and then just wash the establishment and reimbursed mid contract maintenance, right around $225/acre. Even at $190 on some ground, heck, $150 - I just think having some diversity and guaranteed income PLUS massive habitat & conservation gains is a NO BRAINER.

It was disgusting to hear some of the rates some folks I know in Northern Iowa are getting. I won't even go there. (yes, some expensive land BUT some outrageous CRP returns too). CRP is an awesome part of any farm and can be worked into the equation for anyone wanting to use the tiniest bit of logic and cares at least an ounce about conservation (which, yes, I understand, some do not want any of it!! ;) ).

Thank goodness for these CRP sign ups and another thing.... Guys who have never seen that almost EXTINCT funny looking bird that is some mystery "bigfoot" type thing - well, you may be seeing a big comeback of what the old timers call a "PHEASANT", they really exist and many moons ago, people actually hunted for them!! *Not to be confused with the Carrier Pidgeon - these birds really exist!!! Same with "QUAIL" - another bird that has avoided extinction you also should see a huge swing back. I've seen Pheasants, Quail, Woolly Mammoths, Teradactals, Sasquatch & Werewolves since I put my CRP in!!!! Good news for some future hunters. ;):D:way:

I think CRP rates are attractive in this market. My son and I looked at a farm in Ringgold County that I did not buy--just a bit too much at the time--had a projected CRP payment of $270 on some of the ground and $309 on the bottom ground.

The land would have cash flowed like a dream.

I think CRP rates are attractive in this market. My son and I looked at a farm in Ringgold County that I did not buy--just a bit too much at the time--had a projected CRP payment of $270 on some of the ground and $309 on the bottom ground.

The land would have cash flowed like a dream.

Better get on it while the gettin's good. I believe CRP contract pricing is based off 2-3 yr prior grain pricing, therefor the trend of decreasing grain pricing will follow suit in CRP payment in the coming years.

It literally makes too much sense to enroll your non productive acres into CRP however just like everything farming related is it worth the gamble to lock decent tillable into non production for 10,15,20 yrs? What happens if prices jump back up to 5$/bu then your kicking yourself in the shorts (if you actually farm for a living) for putting those acres away. I know back in 10' & 11' some guys made 1000$/acre when grain prices were in the mid 7's on corn and 16's on beans.

Better get on it while the gettin's good. I believe CRP contract pricing is based off 2-3 yr prior grain pricing, therefor the trend of decreasing grain pricing will follow suit in CRP payment in the coming years.

It literally makes too much sense to enroll your non productive acres into CRP however just like everything farming related is it worth the gamble to lock decent tillable into non production for 10,15,20 yrs? What happens if prices jump back up to 5$/bu then your kicking yourself in the shorts (if you actually farm for a living) for putting those acres away. I know back in 10' & 11' some guys made 1000$/acre when grain prices were in the mid 7's on corn and 16's on beans.

Agree it is a catch 22. I didn't buy that farm, but did buy a different farm that has some steep edges being farmed...I will probably put 40 acres or so in CRP. I like a nice mix.

Agree it is a catch 22. I didn't buy that farm, but did buy a different farm that has some steep edges being farmed...I will probably put 40 acres or so in CRP. I like a nice mix.

EXACTLY.... That's a Risk Management strategy. Especially for a guy that likes hunting, conservation and habitat.... Let's say 1/2 was at $200/acre & half was at "WHATEVER the market does" because you farm it. Well, if grain has you profiting $1k an acre, GREAT!!! If it has you profiting $50/acre, good gosh, good thing you have your $200/crp.
Boom or bust probably isn't the best thought process for the average guys. Why we see huge swings in things, guys going bankrupt and chaos for those who are over-extended. Part of a farm in CRP, I think we all kinda are echo-ing the same thought, it makes pretty good common sense on a lot of levels. My additional thought was.... I put mine in at 10 years VS 15. I'm willing to "Gamble" things will be better in 10 years and then I can decide to re-enroll (higher likely, lower is possible) OR farm it. If I farm it, 10 years of massive organic matter being built up and all the nutrients, micro-organisms in soil - those crop years after CRP generally can be pretty productive. Just my thought, balnance and action without having a crystal ball in front of me.

Corn never made it above $4.00 here.It made it to 3.80 ,CRP looks good. Rent and input has to come down banks cutting off loans to rent because it doesn't work. Looks like the early 1980s in the making.

All the rain will not help corn prices. It went from seriously dry in some areas to too wet in a matter of days.

Still Not too wet in some areas. If it is correct Radio said 49% of southern Iowa counties still experiencing low deep soil moisture?

I'm guessing as usual, some areas are perfect for corn, and others are too dry yet. Some low areas had to flood out in MN, but that is just a small blip on the radar. The bottom ground in some states, with the heavy soils, will do better when the conditions are dry.

Top Bottom