Could've done without this in my little pond

Discussion in 'Trail Cams' started by DGorman, Apr 11, 2019.

1. DGorman

DGorman Active Member

I'm afraid my little crappie pond is in danger of losing all its crappie

"

Broot, Sligh1 and IowaBowHunter1983 like this.
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Daver

Daver PMA Member

Ruh-ro! From everything I have heard, read, etc, you better get that water wolf quick or that pond will be fishless soon.

4. goatman

goatman I hunt days ending in Y

Yup. If he ain't gone soon you'll be buying more fish to feed it. Fish wolves.

5. muddy

muddy Administrator

I think they're cool as all get out, but understand the situation

6. goatman

I agree muddy. But the DNR told me they're fine in creeks and rivers. Ponds a no no. Came across a bridge close to me one day. They were 3 otter catching baby wood ducks. Half grown. The hen was doing her best but wasn't good enough. That's nature.

7. Daver

Daver PMA Member

I am not sure what you mean Goatman. "...fine in creeks and rivers. Ponds a no no."

8. cybball

cybball PMA Member

That’s no good. Think the dnr will grant a permit to take care of that. Otters are super cool but really bad for stocked ponds. Most otters that I have caught were due to pond owners having that same problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. goatman

What cybball said. Before there was a trapping season I was issued a nuisance permit. Game Warden said shoot them now. They were still protected in rivers and creeks at that time.

10. DGorman

DGorman Active Member

I'm torn on this one. I really like having new animals to cam but I know this guy will decimate my fish population in short order. Here are a few of the better pics from this week. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

203ntyp and goatman like this.
  11. Daver

Daver PMA Member

Great pics. The thing with otters in a pond is that they don't just kill enough fish to feed themselves, they kill them one after another and may only take a bite out of the guts and go back for another. They are fish killing machines that do not stop...until there aren't any fish left.

Tim Hull, Rjack and DGorman like this.
  12. Brett Morris

Brett Morris PMA Member

I’m no expert but based on your video & pics I’d question if there was even any fish left at this point.

13. goatman

Unless you live on that pond or trap it's a loss. You can restock but they will be back again. Have a friend who is on his 4th restocking of fish. Catfish are the easiest for them to catch as they are slower in winter. Warden told of a pond the otter just piled up the catfish and ate just brains out of them. One Saturday morning several years ago I had 6 otter fishing in my pond.

14. DGorman

DGorman Active Member

I do live here but I can only see a small portion of the pond from the house. When I bought this place in 2016 the pond was a disaster of duckweed with no fish as far as I could tell. I put some bluegill, crappie, channel cat, redear sunfish, and a couple grass carp in it in mid October 2016. I've spent the last couple summers trying to clear out the weeds and clean up the water. Last fall I was catching crappie about every cast. We asked the neighbor about the pond when we bought the place (the previous landowner passed and his wife didn't really get involved in any of the outside property stuff). He said they used to fish there often and he'd occasionally transplant a good crappie from other places to this pond. Then the fish were just gone. I assume we're now on the otter dinner check rotation. I live near anamosa between the buffalo and the wapsi. There is a valley that runs next to my pond dam that usually has a trickle of water in it. It feeds into the buffalo. I'm guessing with the high water this year that trickle looked a lot more inviting to swimming otters. I'll probably talk to the dnr to see what my immediate options are. I'd love to try to trap him but by November I'm not sure there will be any fish left to keep him coming back. By then I'll probably be back to 10000 bullfrogs and painted turtles.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk