Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Court Decision. DNR vs. Brakkes?

bigbuckhunter88

PMA Member
Can someone provide some more info on the court case that just happened involving the DNR and Brakkes. Something about the DNR not having jurisdiction to quarantine the grounds where a deer pen and possibly CWD was present.

I don't know about that specific case but it may have inspired this bill.

Bill Number: SSB1013 Title: Whitetail/ Hunting Preserves Description: Authorizes the department of natural resources to quarantine preserve whitetail and land associated with hunting preserves or former hunting preserves. The DNR would be required to develop and administer programs for these quarantines of diseased whitetails as well as the land where the diseased whitetail are kept or were kept. This relates to diseases that could affect other animal populations. Landowners must comply with all the requirements of the quarantine. Violation is a simple misdemeanor. Proposed by Senate Committee on Natural Resourc

I don't know the bills current status. Bet someone here does though.

In short there was a deer breeding facility in Cerro Gordo county with CWD, animals from there ended up in Davis and Pottawattamie counties at high fence shooting facilities.

The breeding facility is under Dept. of Ag jurisdiction and the shooting facilities are under DNR jurisdiction.

all 3 were depopulated of deer

The Brakke's own the Davis county high fence and have been fighting to take the fence down.

They even cut the fences once already and a couple wild deer got in who knows if any got back out but DNR got the fences back up by court order and killed the new deer inside.

Now a judge has ruled the DNR doesn't have the power to quarantine the area.

DNR was deciding if they would go ahead with another appeal today, I haven't heard what was decided.

the problem is there really isn't enough in Iowa code to allow a DNR quarantine, a problem hunting groups tried to remedy several years ago but the legislature never acted.

There is a senate study bill 1103 but the deer breeders and captive hunt industries are well organized to lobby against it and Iowa deer hunters don't seem to know or care enough to get something done.

CWD is caused by a malformed protein. It doesn't go away, these captive sites are like toxic waste dumps for deer. Let wild deer in there and they will very likely get CWD.

The endemic area in Wisconsin is testing at around 35% infection rate, what happens to deer hunting when 1 in 3 deer is infected with a fatal disease? It's not good.

Meanwhile instead of doing all it can to control a disease that could wipeout their industry the deer breeders just circle the wagons to protect their own and try to get people to believe they aren't the source of all the CWD hotspots across the Midwest conspicuously centered around captive deer facilities.

Edit to add: It looks like Rhonda Brakke confirmed on the linked post that DNR did appeal.

Also, since this is one of the few sites I don't use my actual name on, I am Jeremy Rosonke VP of the Iowa Conservation Alliance, an alliance of most of the hunting and fishing groups in the state including IBA and Whitetails Unlimited.

Last edited:
My bro in law was talking to them the other day, he said that they had told him that they are getting to take all their antlers to auctions and sell too?! Can that be true?? They would make out great with the quantity of 200 inch and bigger deer they had...

another deer issue, where farm bureau is shoving their noses in. these "deer farms" are regulated as agriculture, taking any authority the DNR has in these situations out of their hands.

as soon as FB gets behind weed farmers, corn will be the #2 crop in iowa

Top Bottom