Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CPR ?

all4s

Life Member
You guys remember a few years back when Dale Garner (wildlife division chief of the Iowa DNR) Saved his blak lab by gving her CPR? She had stopped breathing after having a seizure. I thought that was really cool. I did not know you could do that or at least never thought about it. Anyway, one saturday morning a little over year ago I get up, let Blondies dog (tea cup poodle) out to do his little thing, start a pot of coffee and jump in the shower. About five minutes into my shower a very frantic blonde is beating on the bathroom door. "My puppie is having a seizure and stopped breathing." It was like someone had flushed the toliet and the water suddenly went cold. I jumped out of the shower, threw the bathroom door open to see Blondie on the floor pleeding with her dog to come out of it. Like muddy said, "a pet is a pet" and I hate to see any animal suffer. So now, of the zillion things running through my mind I recall the Dale Garner story in the DU Mag. 'if Dale can do it I can do it,' I tell myself. So without giving it a second thought I get down on my knees and start to give what I think is CPR to a tea cup poodle. I gave it my best effort but was unable to bring the little dog back. Sad deal when you loose a pet! After a short greiving period she got on petfinder and was able to find a replacement, yes another poodle. 'bonkers loss last week had me reminiscing about the pets I've lost over the years. The other morning I rolled over to give Blondie a kiss and was greated by the tongue of a poodle. I about puked! Do all poodles like eating Tootsie Rolls out of the cats sand box? It was nasty! Got me thinking, 'would I, could I, if I had to, give this dog CPR? NO, absolutely not! So does someone know the proper way to do CPR on a pet because I just don't think I could do it if it happened again. I will pass the instructions on to Blondie.

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Waddell Wannabe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CPR, on a poodle? I don't believe in it. Now, a chocolate lab, ok. </div></div>

haha!

I would of grabbed the shock collar and turned it on it's highest setting and shocked myself for letting me get talked into a buying a poodle!! J/K!!

A few years back we, belive it or not, had a bunch of kittens under foot. We were having a family get together out here and somebody, wasn't me, had the great idea to get the golf clubs out and hit a few. Balls that is. One of the boys had his #1 wood out, teed up a ball, took a couple of practice swings then got ready to smack it a good one. About the time he was starting his down stroke a kitten ran from behind him, through his legs to attack his ball. He was able to slow down a little bit but the kitten still took one heck of a head shot. The sound was sickening. I knew right away the kitten was a gonner. Sean was beside himself. He is a tough kid, but it was bothering him a lot. So I felt the kitten's chest, it had a heart beat but it wasn't breathing so I closed it's mouth and blew into it's nose. I could feel it's chest rise with every ventilation. I actually thought it might survive. Then it's heart stopped beating so I did chest compressions and ventilations. I really wanted this guy to live so I could score all kindsa points with the wife for savin a kitten. But my heroic efforts went for naught. The kitten's head started swelling up so I knew it was futile, it was more than just stunned.

I actually buried him instead of the usual ditch toss. Even all these years later we still can't tease Sean about it much. It really botherd him.

The 'Bonker

Top Bottom