Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crappie time

sofakingfast_1

Went over to Illinois yesterday to take my brother and his girlfriend fishing. Theres a public lake we go to thats crappie heaven. No length or number limit on crappie. The park ranger said if you catch any that you dont want, DONT throw them into the water. Throw them into the timber if anything. I thought that was kinda crazy. Anyways, we picked up 5 dozen minnows and hit the water at 4 p.m. Tied off to a tree that fell into the water. We pulled 79 crappie, 2 striper, and a bluegill from the one tree in 3 hours. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Lots of fun. I will bring the camera when i go back Sunday.
crappie1.jpg
crappie2.jpg

Nice fish, Sunday we had good luck w/ crappies too...but not that good /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Good lookin fish! Have they moved into the shallow water to spawn where you are at? I was catching mine using a 12' crappie pole with a little jig tipped with a minnow. Most of the fish were at the end of the tree in about 4 feet of water but a few were only in 12-18" of water. This type of crappie fishing is a blast. Im actually considering skipping my tournament Saturday to go catch some more. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Spawning is getting close, only caught 1 female w/ eggs, the rest were male. These were in about 6' of water. Caught w/ a white maribou tipped w/ a waxie (yes, I still have some waxies from ice fishing). They wouldn't commit to the jig unless it had a waxie on it.
Gotta catch those crappies while ya can /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Top Bottom