Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crossbow Broadhead with Compound

I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a difference between crossbow broadheads and regular broadheads, assuming the weight is the same. I love the Rage 2-blades but don't always get complete passthroughs because I shoot 58# with only a 26 inch draw length. The 40KE broadheads might be a little less than I want with a 1.5 inch diameter and I came across the Rage crossbow head. They make them in 1.75 inch cutting diameter and 100 grain, this is kind of a compromise between the two. I can't see why they wouldn't work with my compound, any thoughts?

I AM JUST WANTING TO KNOW IF THERE IS A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THE HEADS, PLEASE NO GIANT DEBATE ON HOW GOOD/BAD THEY ARE. THERE IS ALREADY A RECENT THREAD LIKE THAT YOU CAN DO THAT ON. Thanks. :way:

Side note: Also, if there is anyone that has tried Rage 2-blades and didn't like them PM me and I will buy the rest of them from you. Even if the blades are bad I will still buy the body. I plan on still using the regular 2-blades for turkeys.

Last edited:
I would assume the crossbow head would be a little more heavier but if there 100 grain then it seems to me like they would work fine.

I actually just researched it and people where saying they are exactly the same just different words.

Last edited:
In expandable heads, they are not. For instance the G5 T3 comes with red clips which have a higher spring rate to cope with the quicker shot of the crossbow. I would suspect that a rage broadhead in a crossbow configuration might have stiffer o-rings, or higher ridges on the blades that hold the o-ring to keep the blades where they need to be. As far as blade thickness, I have no Idea, never looked at crossbow broadheads other than what I've read about the differences in blade holding mechanisms. Hope this helps.

Copy and paste from the Iowa crossbow application:

All projectiles used in conjunction with a crossbow for deer hunting must be equipped with a broadhead with at least three blades.

What you do with the info is up to you. I'm not willing to risk my hunting privileges on one blade.

In my opinion, the rule dose not address fixed vs expandable. I use Spitfire XP 100 grain.

EDIT: After re-reading your post I had what you were asking backwards. I can't see why you would need to shoot a "crossbow" head with your compound. There are compoudns out there that shoot faster than a crossbow but I think "regular heads" would work for any bow, cross or compound.

Last edited:
I want to shoot the 'crossbow' head because it looks to be built the same as the regular Rage 2-blade, but with slightly smaller cutting diameter so I can achieve more penetration. I am looking for something in between regular Rage's and the 40KE and these would be perfect.
However if they made the blades harder to deploy then it will take extra KE to open them and I might as well stick with the regular 2-blades. I can see them doing this because I have heard of people having problems shooting the regular Rage's through their crossbows and having them come open in flight, when they weren't having the same problem with their compound.

I would guess you are right on with the mechanicals being tougher to deploy on a crossbow head vs a head meant for a compound. If you think about it, given that a crossbow bolt will on average shoot at a faster speed than an arrow out of a compound, and that the bolt is accelerated to that speed over a significantly shorter distance than an arrow shot out of a vertical bow; the blades have to stay in place against what I would assume are much greater forces coming out of a crossbow than they do when shot from a compund, so they make the retention system stronger to compensate.

Take a look at the G5 T3 if you are concerned about penetration, dad shot a doe with one this year, and I shot a buck, both arrows passed clean through out of Dad's PSE bow madness xs and my regular size bow madness with enough energy to stick several inches into the dirt, doe ran bout 40 yards, buck maybe 80-90. Both were double lung hits that left blood trails you could follow while walking at a normal pace. I even clipped and broke a rib on the buck, and both of the heads are cleaned up, blades ran over a diamond hone, and with new spider clips they are back in our quivers. First year using these heads, and very pleased with them so far.

Well I ended up e-mailing Rage and they actually got back to me the next day. They said that there is no difference between the crossbow broadheads and their regular broadheads other than cutting diameter and that they have successfully used the crossbow heads with compound bows in testing. Good news for me!

Get some fuzzy 3 blades, that shall fix any penetration problems:) but I dont see a mechanical issue between the two, I think you would be alright

Top Bottom