Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crossbow question

I had a serious accident where I tore my right bicep muscle and my rotator cuff on the same side. I'm going to have to use a crossbow this year.
My question is what type of broadhead to use. I have 100 grain schwackers that I was using before. I am wondering what would be a good choice. Fixed or expandables? Can I use what I did previously? Thanks.

Some crossbow manufacturers will recommend a broadhead for their x-bow. Originally, I did OK with the 100 grain Muzzy that was recommended for my Excalibur. That said, I have been very happy with the results of 2 blade Rage Crossbow expandable heads over the past 5 seasons! You might just check with the Swhacker people and see if they recommend using their product in a crossbow. I know they make a crossbow Swacker broadhead. Don't know how much it differs from their regular heads. Good luck!

I can't add more to HorseDrs post, excellent reply. I know my buddy's dad uses Schwackers in his xbow with great success. Ill text him and see if he uses regular ones or xbow ones

I may be too late for the OP, but I have used the same expandable in both archery equipment and a crossbow. Killed several deer with the regular (non crossbow) head in the crossbow but I was wondering if maybe one or more of the blades would open up at trigger pull/shot. They seemed to hit where I aimed but take crazy paths through the deer. The exit wound wouldn't be where It should have been. Then I bought the same brand in their crossbow model. Didn't see a difference. Still taking crazy paths through the deer so crazy in fact that I lost the arrow from my last kill. But I'm going to continue to use the crossbow head. NAP Spitfire MAXX Crossbow.

I purchased some QAD Exodus fixed blade heads this summer thinking that I'd change away from the expandables. The more I thought about it the more I couldn't see changing away from something that I know works.

You guys might want to check the regs. I read a couple years ago that with a crossbow you must use at least a 3 blade head. When I first got my crossbow I was using Swackers as well, but found it was not legal. I don't believe that has changed!

Rage 2 blade plus cutting tip blade = 3 blades. If I wasn’t just coyote hunting with mine, I suspect Rage’s lawyers might help fight that one in court...

The rule went from this:

The projectiles used with crossbows for harvesting deer must be equipped with broadheads which are designed with at least 3 blades.

To This:

All projectiles used in conjunction with a crossbow for deer hunting must be equipped with a broadhead.

I mentioned that most people didn't know the rule to some folks at the DNR and the rule changed shortly thereafter.

I just always used three expandable blades to avoid any possibility of needing to get lawyers involved.

I was told the reason for 3 blades was an attempt to discourage the practice of making a crossbow from an old leaf spring and welding a triangle shaped piece of steel on the end of some re bar to use as the projectile.

Top Bottom