Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crossbows?!?!? Iowa bow season?

Just my thoughts here.........

I've read more then a few posts about how crossbows would be good for youth and women hunters and what comes to mind is whatever happened to earning it?
I spent a lot of time as a kid running around the woods of the neighborhood with a cheap old recurve terrorizing the local squirrels. I did not take up serious bow hunting until much later in life and when I did it took a lot of practice to get to a place where I felt I was ready to hunt. I'm not going to say it was hard by any means but it was certainly harder then it would have been with a crossbow.
My son took his first deer and turkey with a gun and was very proud as he should be but he wants to bow hunt. He is practicing hard to get there and understands that until he is truly ready he won't be in the woods with a bow. When he takes his first deer during the archery season he will appreciate the hundreds of shots he put into being ready to make the shot and it will surely mean more then any gun or crossbow kill ever could. I know, you raise your kid your way I'll raise mine my way. I'm fine with that.
I'm not worried about crossbows decimating the herd. If they legalize them and you want to hunt with one I don't care. I do think they take a little something from the term "archery season".
Now I sound elitist and I almost feel bad about it. I really don't like sounding like a kid trying to exclude someone from my club.
Just my thoughts. FLAME ON!

I agree with you mplane and thought the same exact thing. I worried I was one of the few that thought that way and didn't want to sound "elitist" either like you say. Especially in today's world, it seems like people are looking for the quick fix and don't want to work hard and expect things without the time and sacrifice to achieve something. I remember growing up and starting with a small bow and shooting hundreds of arrows to build strength as well as doing pull ups and other weight training methods just to pull back 45 pounds. My grandpa and mentor to bowhunting simply told me he would not let me hit the treestand until I could pull 45 pounds and could shoot 9 out of 10 arrows into a 5" circle at 20 yards. It took me 2 years from the time I got determined to become a bowhunter and when it came time there was a sense of dignity and pride that came with getting the approval from my gramps to hit the woods. It was almost like "becoming a man" if you will. I also believe there is a sense of maturity that comes with using archery equpment that should be reached by someone before they set out to shoot deer. Although most of us will probably ever reach maturtiy (haha) I do believe that the preparation to bowhunt in this sense does provide a little of whats needed for the sport.

I don't think crossbows are any more deadly or quiet or have that much more of an effective range persay, but I do believe it offers the young kid or the first timer the ability to pick one up and have at it. It takes the ability to have someone sight it in once and its ready to go at any time. No preparation or improving skills needed to use a crossbow.

I am for the people that are injured, disabled, elderly, or whatnot to use them should they want to enjoy the sport but don't have the physical ability to use a vertical bow.

Just my thoughts on that...

The way I see it if someone truly wants to use one they can. It's not difficult to get doctors approval. I know of guys that work construction all summer but claim they can't pull a bow. So they "hunt" with crossbows. They drive around during the rut and shoot bucks off the road. This is the main reason I don't support it. It may appeal to the lazy truck hunters as a way to (in my opinion) poach another buck per year. Guys like that always look for an easier way.

But don't get me wrong. If someone really wants to use a cross bow and put their time in and sit hours In a stand like the rest of us, I have no problem or judgement towards that.

I just worry it could possible draw a "bad" crowd and give us bow hunters a bad name.

My 2 cents.

I find it hard to believe that many guys drive around and shoot bucks off the road with crossbows. Guns I can see but crossbows??????? Maybe the sub species of whitetailed deer in Iowa is far more prone to standing still along roadways than the one here. Like I said, shotgun, rifle yes....crossbow, really?

The poaching issue seems comparable to the entire firearm legislation issue you are going through right now. Poachers will poach just like crazy people will commit mass shootings. If you believe the crossbow is another tool for poaching it is almost hypocritical that one wouldn't believe that the AR guns now are the reason for human deaths. Everything in life cannot satisfy our personal desires.

Crossbows are allowed in certain zones here during bow season, the majority of the province one owuld have to wait until muzzleloader season. I don't own one, likely wouldn't be afraid to try one if they were allowed in my zone Sept. 1.

Last edited:
SaskGuy, I know a guy who was looking at crossbows for this very purpose. He was until the first time he test fired one in the store left his thumb in the string path. Ouch! He almost left his thumb at the store. Our deer maybe dumber down here or they may be more tolerant of people. I see plenty of big bucks in the ditches and field edges, usually at night, that just stand there looking at my truck,they do some strange things during the rut. Well with in bow/crossbow range. I have no doubt a few guys poach them that way now and it will be easier if xbows become a legal weapon. I'm not worried about it being a treat to the overall herd. Just saying it happens.

I'm not saying it happens all the time. But I know it has around my area.

I just worry that it may give poachers a bright idea that they may now have an excuse to be out during bow season.

I'm not saying crossbows are bad things or the reason poachers poach. I just feel it might give some unethical hunters bad ideas. That's all. Not looking to argue.

I see that draw locks on compounds are legal in Iowa. Aside from the ergonomics, I see no difference between those and crossbows.
Besides, how many people if given the choice, would pick a crossbow over a compound/tradbow any way? Can you imagine lugging one of those AND a climber into the woods? Thats not happening. On top of that, they're kind of pricey.
I agree with Slighs point number 2 though. I think that is a topic that needs much further discussion. Then, I think we ought to put those ideas to the law makers

SaskGuy, I know a guy who was looking at crossbows for this very purpose. He was until the first time he test fired one in the store left his thumb in the string path. Ouch! He almost left his thumb at the store. Our deer maybe dumber down here or they may be more tolerant of people. I see plenty of big bucks in the ditches and field edges, usually at night, that just stand there looking at my truck,they do some strange things during the rut. Well with in bow/crossbow range. I have no doubt a few guys poach them that way now and it will be easier if xbows become a legal weapon. I'm not worried about it being a treat to the overall herd. Just saying it happens.

How do you think poaching would become easier if crossbows were legal to hunt with during the rut? A poacher will poach no matter the season or the tool they choose. Its legal to purchase and carry them in your vehicle any time of the year is it not?

I don't mean to discriminate, but crossbows are the last thing we need durring bowseason IMO. Some of you may not have competition around your land, but I think I'm up to about 15 bowhunters within a mile of my property. If crossbows were legal it would make accessing property that much tougher during bow season, and way more "bow" hunters in the woods which I don't think is a good thing for Iowa.

I don't mean to discriminate, but crossbows are the last thing we need durring bowseason IMO. Some of you may not have competition around your land, but I think I'm up to about 15 bowhunters within a mile of my property. If crossbows were legal it would make accessing property that much tougher during bow season, and way more "bow" hunters in the woods which I don't think is a good thing for Iowa.

I think this would only happen as a novelty thing. For the most part if people arent out bowhunting now with a compound or the old stick and string, they probably wont fall in love with it like most of us on here have. My bet is they would only do it the first year. They would then go away.

Last edited:
I only hunt public land in Polk Co so I know full well about competition. More hunters in the woods means more hunters at the ballot box too though. It also means more conservationists who can help with habitat. I only see more hunters as a good thing, despite having to share the woods with them.

I think this would only happen as a novelty thing. For the most part if people arent out bowhunting now with a compound or the old stick and string, they probably wont fall in love with it like most of us on here have. My bet is they would only do it the first year. They would then go away.

As a general rule I try not to watch hunting shows on TV but the few that I have seen as I scan through the channels all have sponsorships from crossbow companies and I have seen several shows featuring crossbow hunts. As long as there is a dollar to be made from shilling for crossbows the celbhunters will hunt with crossbows where legal.

Having said that, it doesn’t matter if hunters fall in love with crossbows or not, as long as the “enhanced” and other celebhunters use them they will remain popular.

I do not believe this will be a passing fad. If there is data from other states that have recently allowed crossbows in archery season that shows there is a bump in crossbow sales/licenses for a year or two then goes away I will say my mea culpas.

To get back to the original premise of the post, take all the side discussions about youth and wives out of it, bottom line, do you want unlimited non archery equipment allowed in an archery only season?

I consider them archery equipment. I should be against them I guess. I have alot of hunters around me. Lots of gun hunters, who may try crossbows. More deer gettin shot., and there aren't that many deer now. But,,I just am not.

Im from New Jersey and they made those awful things legal a few years ago.Alot of guys think you can take 100 yard shots and not need to practice so expect to see alot more wounded deer.Also since they made them legal the buck harvest has increased to the point that they are now taking away 3 weeks of archery season.I dont know about Iowa but in NJ its the favorite tool for poachers,they ride around in mini vans,open the slidding door and shoot from the road.No more gun shots to hear,happens constantly.

Have not heard such horror stories from my firends in MI? Possibly it's just NJ hunters ? I hear a bit of animosity there. Those dreadful things.

I kinda skipped thru this! Was there in chiming in by Iowa Bowhunters Ass'n board members!!??? I know they are here! I also know what their stance is on the subject!! Just like to hear it!! They also know what I think of their stance!!!!!!!:thrwrck:

Last edited:
Top Bottom