Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crossbows?!?!? Iowa bow season?

I kinda skipped thru this! Was there in chiming in by Iowa Bowhunters Ass'n board members!!??? I know they are here! I also know what their stance is on the subject!! Just like to hear it!! They also know what I think of their stance!!!!!!!:thrwrck:

No Crocket, I don’t know your stance. Prolly because I haven’t seen you at any Board meetings. I am under the impression through your use of the rock throwing emoticon that you support the use of non archery equipment in an archery only season?

For those of you who don’t know, I am indeed a member of the IBA Board of Directors. My comments on this site reflect my opinions as I do not presume to speak for the Board.

A little humor to brighten your day http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=T25vWVkSQu8

The effect of crossbows to "standard" archery equipment in my opinion will be about the same as what the rifle season has done to southern iowa. Too many yahoos taking advantage of it.. I fully support the use of them for people with disabilities, but even that is mis-used. I cant wait to see all the posts.. "Wounded a deer at 60+ yards with my crossbow and need help finding it"

Last edited:
I hear plenty of, "I hit a little far back, Can't find it", from upright users. CrossBows cut out some things that can go wrong, and actually wound less deer. Comparing crossbows to rifles? Com'on..?

I hear plenty of, "I hit a little far back, Can't find it", from upright users. CrossBows cut out some things that can go wrong, and actually wound less deer. Comparing crossbows to rifles? Com'on..?

Im just saying I think there will be a lot more people that dont know what they are doing that are going to attempt to hunt with a crossbow because they think its "cool". Not directly comparing them to a rifle.... you would have to be ignorant to believe that. Just saying it could have the same affect as the rifle season as in a bunch of people just out to shoot something not caring what it is.. Actually, I guarantee you I know a few people who will try deer drives and shoot deer on the run with a crossbow just because they are more convenient to carry around loaded.

OK,OK,,this is my last comment on this subject. I know ther will always be dumb idiots trying stupid things,poachers,Morons,etc, but that still should not deny good law abiding people from hunting with an efficient weapon of choice. Same arguement now with firearms. Let's take them away from everyone, because some bad people are missuing them.

I guess what im trying to say is that Iowa arguably "HAD" one of, if not the best deer herd in this country and it wasnt because we had extra antlerless permits or extra added seasons. It's already hard enough to find a place to hunt without the extra hunters that crossbows would bring into archery season. I dont see any reason to change the way things have been for decades. I realize there are people who wouldnt abuse it, but there will be that many more that will. Using the argument of "taking away a weapon from good law abiding citizens" doesnt apply here because with the exception of physically disabled hunters, there are no law abiding citizens using crossbows during bow season in Iowa.. You cant take away something you never had

You know, I love killing deer. And I love compound bow! The next variety I'm planning on taking a deer with is a recurve.... but if I had the opportunity. I wouldn't mind killing a doe with a crossbow as well! That would kinda be fun to do! I wouldn't want to fill my anysex with a cross bow tho... I like a challenge of drawing on a buck and settling my pit only to burry an arrow in his ribs! If its legalized, id only do it once and antlerless only. Just personal preference.

You know, I love killing deer. And I love compound bow! The next variety I'm planning on taking a deer with is a recurve.... but if I had the opportunity. I wouldn't mind killing a doe with a crossbow as well! That would kinda be fun to do! I wouldn't want to fill my anysex with a cross bow tho... I like a challenge of drawing on a buck and settling my pit only to burry an arrow in his ribs! If its legalized, id only do it once and antlerless only. Just personal preference.
I kind of feel the same way.

I've shot them with compound bows, shotguns, ML's and high power out of state. I'd like to shoot one with a pistol and recurve (both currently legal) and would consider other weapons as the become available.

Guess I could go back and shoot one with a "real" ML. Something like a flintlock. :way:

I kind of feel the same way.

I've shot them with compound bows, shotguns, ML's and high power out of state. I'd like to shoot one with a pistol and recurve (both currently legal) and would consider other weapons as the become available.

Guess I could go back and shoot one with a "real" ML. Something like a flintlock. :way:

Try pistol!! You won't regret it!

No Crocket, I don’t know your stance. Prolly because I haven’t seen you at any Board meetings. I am under the impression through your use of the rock throwing emoticon that you support the use of non archery equipment in an archery only season?

For those of you who don’t know, I am indeed a member of the IBA Board of Directors. My comments on this site reflect my opinions as I do not presume to speak for the Board.

Probably did'nt see me there cause I'm not on the board!! Been paying due's since about "78"! Not on the board tho! My stance is
.Crossbows are not archery ! My stance also is.Your not funny!! Not in the IBA, Not on the PMA forum!! Somebody told you you were!! :D They will pay for it!! Not me! Have a nice day!! Next!

Probably did'nt see me there cause I'm not on the board!! Been paying due's since about "78"! Not on the board tho! My stance is
.Crossbows are not archery ! My stance also is.Your not funny!! Not in the IBA, Not on the PMA forum!! Somebody told you you were!! :D They will pay for it!! Not me! Have a nice day!! Next!

Your sayin your that old and act the way you do on a message board? I figured you were a preteen or a teenager at most.

How could you not think Bonker is funny? Didn't you see his posting with the cats and the cement truck and the hole? What about the trailcam pic of him in his cutoff scrubs? That's funny right there!
As you suggest, I would pay for it. I need to laugh like that from time to time.

Haven't been on here much. Didn't take time to read every post in this thread so it may have been stated already. Draw locks are legal on compounds bows. Basically making them a vertical crossbow. Why aren't you haters fighting to get that taken away? I personally don't see that much difference and wouldn't care if they legalized crossbows. I have one of these nonarchery equipment and would like to take a deer with it. Also would have had my son hunting archery season sooner if he could use a crossbow to hunt. Wouldn't let him shoot deer at low poundages. What do think would be more ethical? Easy choice for me.

Mobil Cooter using IW

Probably did'nt see me there cause I'm not on the board!! Been paying due's since about "78"! Not on the board tho!

I think it was implied that you can/should attend meetings to let your views be know, not that you have to be on the board.

crossbows

Correct all meetings are open to members and the public. The dates of meetings are in the Bowhunter and all start at 10 a.m.

I would be all for a cossbow as a legal weapon. I would be more confident in ground hunting with one over my compound. It would give me some different areas of where I hunt to put blinds in an hunt tose areas.

Top Bottom