Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Crossbows?!?!? Iowa bow season?

I am watching wildgame nation and these guys are using crossbows to hunt sheep.
All I can say is...screw that nonsense. Those things are big, akward, unweildy and noisy. I hope I stay healthy enough that I don't have to use one for a loooong time. If guys want to hunt with them I say good luck to you.

Probably did'nt see me there cause I'm not on the board!! Been paying due's since about "78"! Not on the board tho! My stance is
.Crossbows are not archery ! My stance also is.Your not funny!! Not in the IBA, Not on the PMA forum!! Somebody told you you were!! :D They will pay for it!! Not me! Have a nice day!! Next!

Well whadayano, we finally agree on something, I'm not funny. Oh yeah, and that crossbow thingy. Two in one day. Whodathunk?

This is purely and simply commercial interests attempting to create a new market for their wares. Crossbows are not archery! Moreover, these contraptions are not worthy of "bowhunting" discussion. For disabled and elderly hunters I think they're great.
For the rest of you trying to find an easier way to fill a tag, perhaps the "Corporate Shooters" will hold special events for you all (not), run some tape and show how easy to use and "popular" their stuff is. You don't need all that crap!

This is purely and simply commercial interests attempting to create a new market for their wares. Crossbows are not archery! Moreover, these contraptions are not worthy of "bowhunting" discussion. For disabled and elderly hunters I think they're great.
For the rest of you trying to find an easier way to fill a tag, perhaps the "Corporate Shooters" will hold special events for you all (not), run some tape and show how easy to use and "popular" their stuff is. You don't need all that crap!

Couldn't have said it better.

Thanks for letting me know what I need or want..... Are you new to the USA? Or are you like our current dictator? Thanks but not everyone is pressured by hunting programs. I don't even watch hunting shows anymore. Nice blanket statement. Imo

If I was looking for an easier way to fill a tag I would gun hunt..... don't do that either.

NEXT!!!!!!

I think most of you against them just don't want more hunters during archery season and that is why you hate crossbows. Most are the older bowhunters that remember having the woods to yourself and think how many hunters are out there now, and don't want more. If that is what you are about say it......

Mobil Cooter using IW

I was really going to let this topic go away, but the hypocrisy of this statement just hit me wrong. By commercial interests are you meaning Matthews, or Bowtech, or Hoyt that are attempting to create a new market for their contraptions? Perhaps you are referring to all the other "contraptions" like the wide variety of fiber optic sights or red dot scopes, releases, drop away or biscuit type of rests, or huge cams and fast-flight continuous strings, or mechanical broad heads, or carbon arrows? More over these contraptions are not worthy of a bowhunting discussion, because we all know that REAL bow hunting consists of a wooden self bow with cedar arrows with turkey wing fletching and a steel 2 blade broad head. Those Corporate Shooters you refer to must be the ones who make and sell all the TV commercialized shows that show how their newest creations make bow hunting success just a little easier and more convenient for you as you work up a tree with your new climber stand to hang your Ozonics projector before you haul up your Matthews bow with the Rage broad heads on the new carbon arrows and wait for that buck of a life time to stop and offer you a perfect broad side shot at only 65 yards.

Last Sunday I joined the ranks of the low life potential poachers who don't enjoy or respect bow hunting by purchasing a new Excalibur crossbow. I have advanced in years physically, if not mentally, to the point where it is difficult for me to draw and shoot my wooden bows, or recurve bows which I have been using since 1994, when I built my first bow from a ash tree that I cut in my timber. My wife of 43 years hears every year about some hunter falling from a tree stand and because she feels that I am getting OLD has asked me not to go up in to the trees any more. Our of respect to her I have agreed and will now be hunting from the ground and probably a blind. I tried shooting a 60 inch recurve from my blind this past year and found it very confining and difficult at best, so with ever thing combined I made the decision to use a crossbow. I find the attitude that because I am old and less physical that I am now less of a bow hunter than others of you, very demeaning and just plain pisses me off, because I have never complained about all of your "CONTRAPTIONS" so where do you get off condemning my decisions?:thrwrck:

I've always said sportsmen are our own worst enemies.

Long bow hunters don't like compound hunters.

Compound hunters don't like crossbow hunters.

Muzzle loader hunters don't lilke shotgun hunters.

Hound hunters don't like trappers.

Get the hint? How about giving everyone an oppurtunity to enjoy the outdoors? I really do not see how making a crossbow legal in Iowa would tear apart the state. Do you think people are going to be running all over Iowa with one? Don't give me the poacher crap, because as of right now anyone can legally carry a crossbow in their vehicle if they please.

I'm not pushing for it, but I would definitely not vote against it. I think the more people interested in our sport, the better off we have the oppurtunity to unite and fight bigger causes.

My experience and two cents on the subject: I recently went through the 2012 archery season using a crossbow. I am only 30 but I had a major reconstructive surgery on my elbow, so my surgeon signed off on a temporary permit. After using a crossbow for a season, I can say without hesitation, I cant wait to get back to using a compound bow. I truly didnt see any major advantage after using one. They are big and bulky and unless you have shooting sticks, you can stay at full draw with a compound bow just as long if not longer than you can aim a crossbow. The biggest advantage the crossbow brings is anyone can sight one in and be proficient with it after a few shots vs. a compound bow takes a lot of practice to be good out past 30 yards. Crossbows are loud but they make up for it with the speed. The buck I shot didn't even know what hit him it was so fast(350 FPS). When I first got the crossbow permit, I though it was going to be a huge advantage but after using one, I don't feel the same way. Based on my experience, if crossbows were legalized for all hunters, there would probably be an increase in the amount of people who participate in archery season( just like me, a lot of guys would probably think it would make bow hunting easy). But after a season or two, the lazy guys who decided to participate in archery season solely because they can use a crossbow would fade away, IMO. they would realize that it is not as easy as it appears and you still have to do your homework just like the hunters who use a compound bow. After my experience using a crossbow I have no issue with anyone using one vs a compound bow(especially handicap people). At the same time I don't see any reason to make it legal for everyone unless the goal is to sell more archery tags. I come for the school of "if it isn't broken, don't fix it" IMO Iowa's archery season isn't broken..............PS, if anyone is looking for a slighlty used(one season) crossbow, I have a Barnett Goast 350 for sale. It is all sighted in, comes with scope, 6 bolts, cocking device, and 2 brand new/unused rage crossbow broadheads. Asking $500 for the whole package. Brand new it cost me $630 after tax and that was with only 4 bolts no broad heads. PM me if interested.

Top Bottom