Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CRP advice...

madplotter

PMA Member
I was reading the farm bill thread and thought this would be a good topic to post since the info is fresh...

We have a farm that was in CRP when we bought it and 20 years later, we want to try to move back into a CRP or similar program. I have been in contact with our local FSA but they are not as helpful as I remember or perhaps just busy.

We bought it in 1998 with 3 or so years of CRP remaining. Rolled it back in for another 10 around 2001'ish. We are now in year 7 of tillage but at least half of it should be in CRP. Any advice on programs to look for? I was told that a few of our local folks got into a pheasant/bird program this year, not sure what that entails. I am disappointed in our local FSA office as it seems they are not as helpful unless they know you. I thought maybe if I approached them already having a plan in my head, it might go better.

In 2016, we added a bordering 80 acres to the farm. The new farm has a higher percentage of HEL than the old. So I am trying to weigh options for that farm right now as well.

Any advice would be much appreciated...

There is a limited time to enroll this year, so I would demand the FSA looks hard at your farm in the next month to see what qualifies. This is a problem nationally (lack of work ethic) and they often do not know the programs like they should (lack of training and general knowledge of land ownership).

I used a private consultant in MN, but not sure if anyone is available in Iowa?

There is a limited time to enroll this year, so I would demand the FSA looks hard at your farm in the next month to see what qualifies. This is a problem nationally (lack of work ethic) and they often do not know the programs like they should (lack of training and general knowledge of land ownership).

I used a private consultant in MN, but not sure if anyone is available in Iowa?

Good idea. ^^ Although he is a DNR employee, he is a good dude...Kevin Anderson. http://iowatws.org/Library/Newsletters/2015/2015-Winter.pdf Look on page 2 of the attached link for his jurisdiction and contact info. He may not be the actual guy to help you, but I bet that he can point you in a good direction.

message me and I will do whatever I can to help you out. I don't have all the answers but I work with the crp program in another state on a daily basis.

Top Bottom