Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CRP ground question

biggest buck

I have a question for you QDMers. I have a 45 acre timber I have hunted for 15 years along with 40 acres of alfalfa and another 35 of pasture. Now, connected to this 120 acres is another 10-15 acres in set-aside ground. My question is this, can a person legally plant a deer foodplot in the 10-15 acres without the farmer getting penalized for it? And if so, how can I prove this true before going and talking to the owner of the ground and trying to convince him that he needs to let me do this for the sake of his crops!
Thanks,
Biggest Buck

Most contracts allow and even encourage 10% of CRP be planted in food plots. You can optimize CRP in addition by mid contract management practices or by reseeding with an approved ground cover that deer prefer over brome. So you could reseed the 10-15 acres with clover (but you already have alfalfa and other forage in the area so this may not be needed) and still till up 10% of the 10-15 acres for a plot. NRCS would be a good place to start but they probably wouldn't share the details of the contract with you. Only a general overview you can present to the landowner.

Each region has a "private lands biologist". I have worked with the one in SE Iowa and he is quite helpful and knowledgable. He will make recommendations, and assist witht the paperwork.

Hey guys thank you for responding to my question. I apologize for not thanking you earlier,it has been a crazy and busy time here and at work lately. In my spare time I have been trying to get out and fill my bow doe tag still.
Once again thank you! As soon as I get the time I will begin pursuing this.
Biggest buck!

Top Bottom