Cull Buck, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Trail Cams' started by skyleralan, Sep 25, 2014.

1. skyleralan

skyleralan PMA Member

Last year, to this year.
    [​IMG]

This year. Looks like one that needs to be taken out. Photos taken on complete opposite sides of farm. From one year to the next.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. hoosierhunter

hoosierhunter Active Member

IMO he's too young to draw that conclusion on. Plus we just went through an extremely brutal winter which I personally believe stunted antler development this year.

4. gundog870

gundog870 Premium Platinum Member

Looks only 3 to me

5. TeenageHunter

TeenageHunter McNorrisBieber Staff Member

I have the same problem with a 4yr old 3x3, he just needs to get out of there.

6. skyleralan

skyleralan PMA Member

Yes, he only looks 3, but even so you figured his left side would grow some. His almost nonexistent g3 two years in a row has me thinking.

7. BDAHMS

BDAHMS Be here Now

Stick him- get a new guy to come in with more potential

8. SREEVES

SREEVES New Member

Great looking PLOT

9. 1luckyguy

1luckyguy Member

I'd have to disagree with this. I have seen excellent antler growth on the deer in my area. Mild summer really helped.

I'd agree that this deer needs to go and doesn't have the genetics to turn into much

10. Booner

Booner Well-Known Member

I'd agree, the creator skipped over this fella! I'd say there should be some form of development from 2.5 to 3.5 (which I would put him at). It looks as if he filled into a 3.5 frame body wise but the antler growth didn't change. So far from what I've personally witness as well as gathered from others I'd say this spring/summer was one for the ages in terms of antler growth for many farms all over the state. A lot of deer made great gains in the antler department from our wet spring/summer compared to the past couple dry years. Just my opinion but if your managing that farm for good genes this fella definitely needs to go.

11. skyleralan

skyleralan PMA Member

I have a cousin who just took up bowhunting in the past year. I am thinking of putting him on this guy.

12. skyleralan

skyleralan PMA Member

Should have probably mowed it one last time, but it really is a nice stand of clover. Had put lots of time into with such a wet spring as far as weed competition, so I have sprayed it a couple times and mowed it probably 3-4 times.

I didn't have high hopes with how dry it has been in the past couple years, but man it really took off!

13. BDAHMS

BDAHMS Be here Now

Pattern this guy with your plot and would be a perfect deer for someone to start out on- helps you out management wise and would be an absolute thrill for a first deer with a bow.

14. Buck-Man

Buck-Man Member

no such thing as a cull buck

15. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

My definition of cull buck.... My farm can support only so many bucks. I'd prefer the bucks that make my farm home to be the better genetic bucks with better potential. There's only room for so many- so if I let a 130" 5 yr old stay- he's taking the place of others and often driving off several other bucks if he's aggressive. I "cull him out" fully appreciating the hunt & the deer and proudly shooting an older buck BUT there's a biological reason behind my decision... It's a decision of management of what types of bucks I do all I can with my managemt to make my farm home. I've got at least 6-10 buddies & kids (and myself) who have had a blast targeting, hunting and shooting "cull bucks". Everyone involved (including me, the owner) was extremely pleased, proud & we had some fun while bringing some more meat in too. Absolutely made room for younger good genetic bucks. I've literally seen new bucks take up the territory within weeks on occasion or realize they aren't going to get beat to crap anymore & become more visible & dominant.

16. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 Trump 2020

Disagree.

Bully bucks for sure, got a tall 6 on camera same size now for 3 years.... Boys will try to take him out

17. big+tall+mass

big+tall+mass T250 for president

"Culling" is overrated and unnecessary.

18. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

Please explain?
    Keep in mind, folks are not talking about changing the genetic pool - they are talking about the limited amount of mature bucks any given property can hold and the frequent presence of aggressive bucks that run others off & don't have great genetics or are maxed out.
    What you mean though?

19. BDAHMS

BDAHMS Be here Now

Disagree- get a no potential deer keeping other mature bucks off the property- gotta go. "Bullying" is overrated and unnecessary

20. skyleralan

skyleralan PMA Member

Didn't mean to create a debate, but this buck (my opinion, and ultimately the only one that matters) will never be the type of buck I want on the farm.

I don't want him to be breeding my doe population and ultimately taking resources from potentially "better" bucks.

Like I said, he will be a great deer to take and hope to get my cousin into hunting and let him take this guy.

21. chipterp

chipterp PMA Member

Exactly people can't seem to figure out that not every deer hss the potential to make a booner. Some will never make 140.