Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Culvert tom

meyeri

PMA Member
I've had quite the interesting season so far. Several days back I missed a tom multiple times because my bow string didn't clear my ghillie suit. When I say multiple times I mean like 4 and one shot was literally at 10 feet. . After the 4th shot it occurred to me that my ghillie suit was the problem and I almost got a 5th shot off after ripping that thing off. That Tom obviously needed the free education and I doubt he'll fall for the reaper trick again.

Fast forward to today and right after fly down I have 7 Toms in the field in front of me chasing hens all over. After 2 hours of this the hens finally disperse and the Toms get back to doing Tom things. A couple break off and head towards my Jake and hen set. They get to about 100 yds and lose interest, so I grab the reaper fan laying next to me and stick it in the ground in front of me. They read the script after this and meander on in. I'm leaning against a tree with a reaper fan blocking me and so I rotate the fan every now and then to see where they're at. At about 30 yds I clip on my release and listen and wait...20 seconds rolls by and I figure they've closed some ground. I come to full draw behind the fan and wait for a Tom to show left or right. Nothing. I let down and wait again. Still nothing, come to full draw again and figure it's now or never. I lean out and eventually I see two Toms wide eyed at the sight of me. They turn to leave, but the arrow is airborne and strikes the lead one.
He was face on when I released, but I can see my arrow is through him side to side as he's running away. I watch him struggle and lose him in some thick brush. I snap on my quiver and head that way. I get to where I think he is and nothing.... all the sudden a Tom busts out of the bush 10 feet from me and he's off. I'm in full pursuit and he disappears in a creek bed. I don't see him come up the opposite bank so I circle around. I get perpindicular to the creek and no sign of a Tom. I glanced over at the concrete culvert and see water splashed all over the entrance. He wouldn't hide in there would he......Yep, he would.

Ended up putting another arrow in him because the thought of a thrashing turkey with an arrow in him in a confined space didn't sound too appealing. When I actually did crawl in to retrieve him he was playing possum and luckily I tackled him before I took a wing to the face.

He ended up weighing 21 lbs, had 1" spurs and was sporting a double beard at 10 and 2.5 inches. Definitely a hunt I won't soon forget!
2c023714e99225fb8503aa1e0ecbe3fe.jpg
417a85ae330161dfb5c143643fddfac7.jpg
a3d9f2dec0600640ae32fc799459a091.jpg
af13ad67e7d461ad731a51d409ed2f91.jpg
f3a2cadf9335cbd6583c80b33280f754.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Holy cow! What the chances - so - 2 arrows & still tackled him?!? U ain’t gonna forget that story anytime soon!! Wow! Congrats!

Top Bottom