Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

CW Journal

Treated myself to my first gun. Bought a savage axis .223 today. Got it sighted in now just bring some snow and it will be time for the coyotes. :)

Treated myself to my first gun. Bought a savage axis .223 today. Got it sighted in now just bring some snow and it will be time for the coyotes. :)

Full moon next week with fresh snow! Get out there at night and do some calling. You'll love it, even if you don't see anything.

Question for everyone on scopes. I currently have a Crossfire 4-16x40AO scope on the rifle (came with it). It has illuminated reticles also. Was wondering if you would keep the scope or buy the vortex crossfire II 4-16x50 AO scope for $180?

If the scope is clear, adjusts correctly and holds a zero, I would have no issue with using it. No reason to discard a scope just because of the brand if it does what it's supposed to.

If the scope is clear, adjusts correctly and holds a zero, I would have no issue with using it. No reason to discard a scope just because of the brand if it does what it's supposed to.

X2 ! It's hard to imagine that you are really gaining much by going from a $100 dollar scope to a $180 dollar scope, unless the one you have is non-functional. Use what you have until you get a handle on what your new gun is capable of. If you want more than what you have, and you determine that your scope is the limiting factor, then consider an upgrade.

X2 ! It's hard to imagine that you are really gaining much by going from a $100 dollar scope to a $180 dollar scope, unless the one you have is non-functional. Use what you have until you get a handle on what your new gun is capable of. If you want more than what you have, and you determine that your scope is the limiting factor, then consider an upgrade.

Horse doctor the vortex scope is a $319 scope on sale

Horse doctor the vortex scope is a $319 scope on sale

It still may not the limiting factor in whether or not you can consistently hit what you are aiming at with your new gun. If you were gaining significant magnification by switching I might feel differently, but both are 4X16. Personally, I don't really feel that 10 mm more objective lens is a big deal. If it were me, I would get to know the gun and make a decision on a new scope after putting a few hundred rounds through it. Even then, unless the original is broken I would be looking to change something other than just the brand. I don't own any but I've heard good things about Vortex. Still, it's hard to believe that, a low end Vortex, even on sale, would be a huge upgrade over what you have. Either way, it is your gun & your money, but you did ask for opinions. Hope it shoots well for you and a lot of "yodel dogs" pay the price! Have fun! :D

It still may not the limiting factor in whether or not you can consistently hit what you are aiming at with your new gun. If you were gaining significant magnification by switching I might feel differently, but both are 4X16. Personally, I don't really feel that 10 mm more objective lens is a big deal. If it were me, I would get to know the gun and make a decision on a new scope after putting a few hundred rounds through it. Even then, unless the original is broken I would be looking to change something other than just the brand. I don't own any but I've heard good things about Vortex. Still, it's hard to believe that, a low end Vortex, even on sale, would be a huge upgrade over what you have. Either way, it is your gun & your money, but you did ask for opinions. Hope it shoots well for you and a lot of "yodel dogs" pay the price! Have fun! :D

Thank you. Will stick with this set up for now

Shot my first 300 tournament at the classic on Saturday and shot a 282 6x. My goal was to at least shoot a 280 so I accomplished what I set out to do. Then I shot a personal best 450 Vegas tonight with a 431 10X. The first 300 was 290 7x. Wish I could have shot that at the classic but things never go the way you want them too.

Last edited:
While every one else focuses on sheds for the next month I decided to start my fishing season today after finishing up my walking yesterday.. Beautiful day out. I missed some bites, lost 5-6 lber right at the shore. May have to go back tomorrow.. Half the pond was still frozen and took 5 different lures to finally figure them out. Ended up with 6 beautiful dark large mouth

The big catch of the day:

Ah man! You just turned on my fishing switch with those pics. I sure love me some bass fishing...umm hmm. Looks like a good time. Are the fish pretty lethargic or did they get right after it?

Ah man! You just turned on my fishing switch with those pics. I sure love me some bass fishing...umm hmm. Looks like a good time. Are the fish pretty lethargic or did they get right after it?

I had lots off hits. Kinda had to finesse a little but was an awesome time.. Honey hole always produces. Might go out again tomorrow if it's not as windy

Fishing was a little slower today ended up catching 3... This was the biggest, biggest of the year so far. Pic doesn't do justice.

Well I've been trying to chase down snow geese over the last week trying to get my first but had failed multiple times. Today I tried again as I had four snows and three blues located and had been there a day or two. So this morning I went out after them and sure enough they were still around however they were in a field next to the public land so I decided to go to class then come back out after. Wouldn't you know it they disappeared by the time I got back 2 hours later. So I drove around to a couple other public places to see a huge flock of snows circling. I got out and tromped my way up the creek into the marsh. I had the whole flock fly right above me 500+ birds and I managed to shoot the ugliest blue goose in the flock. But hey I got my first blue goose. White got his first retrieve in a few years though so he was happy. Ole Remington never fails:

Last edited:
Top Bottom