Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Daughter's First Turkey

Horn Hunter

After 3 years of trying and lots of frustration for her, my daughter finally killed her first turkey. It was actually her first hunting kill too.

The morning of 4/18 was perfect, nice and cool and calm winds. We had set the blind up the night before so we could keep the noise down in the morning. We had about a 1/4 mile walk, mostly up a long steady hill. As we are about 20 yds from the blind the first bird sounds off and he is close. We were setup between two fingers that go out into a corn field. The bird was in the finger to our right and he was less than 100 yds. He gobbled continously until he flew down. Once he hit the ground he got quite.

At about 6:15 my daughter sees a bird coming out of the timber right toward us. She said "Its a tom, I can see his beard". I told her to relax and pick up her bow. She picked up her bow as he got to the DSD jake. He circled the Jake and jumped up on top of it. I had the decoys set at about 8 yds so we were getting a great show. She drew back and asked if she should shoot. I told her to wait for him to stop moving around so much. She was shooting a magnus bullhead and she was going for a neck shot. After about a minute and a half at full draw she couldn't hold it any more and had to let down. She was shaking bad and her arms were tired. I told her to relax as the tom comtinued to beat up the jake decoy.

After a quick rest she drew again just as the tom was getting done beating the decoy. He stopped and looked away from us with his head held high. I told her that was her shot, she held for another few seconds and let it go. The shot was perfect and she had her first turkey with a decapatation to boot.

I don't know if I have ever been happier or more proud on a hunt then I was at that moment. After alot of hugs and celebrating, the text messages started to go so we could let everyone know. Needless to say, I think she is hooked.

The bird was a real nice one; 24lbs 8oz, 10 inch beard, and 7/8 inch spurs.

The head:

picture.php

The happy hunter:
picture.php

That is freakin awesome. Congrats to your daughter for the persistence and for putting down a great bird.

Kratz

First kill...turkey with a bow??? Wow, very impressive!!

Congrats to both father and daughter!!

Nice job!

You got the hunting family thing going on!

I hope you are hunting somewhere other than my neighborhood. :D

Top Bottom