Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

David Lindsey's 236 2/8

The 4 individuals were denied resident tags and they are suing for the right. Even though they knowingly bent every rule possible for the right. Yes, they paid taxes here, bought a house, have a drivers license, etc, etc, but all for the express purpose to hunt deer. They do not live or work here. I know of one nonresident landowner that gets resident tags that is in law enforcement in Michigan. How does he claim residency here and work full-time there. Another runs a bow shop in Michingan. BS! If they win, it is the end of deer hunting in Iowa as we have known it. It will become a sport of the rich only and that is a crying shame for the many residents that just wont get an opportunity to hunt anymore. Good luck getting young hunters involved in the sport.

Sounds like some privileged information from a very specific area. Interesting that you have this knowledge.

Sounds like some privileged information from a very specific area. Interesting that you have this knowledge.

I was corrected in that they were apparently still allowed tags this year.

Does this information make you uncomfortable? Is that the reason for your first post here?

Not sure how privileged the information is. Most of these guys have no clue how much the locals know about their rule bending. In fact, it's common knowledge for some of their neighbors and farmers. And if they think that it doesnt get talked about with specifics then they are only fooling themselves.

Interesting first post......

Uncomfortable? Not likely. Simply amused at your poorly directed anger. My guess is you lost your hunting privileges because someone purchased the same land you had an opportunity to buy, and that might be the heart of your angst? Life changes, laws change, property ownership changes and when you find yourself having to adapt- you lash out on a public forum? Rather entertaining, really. But my suspicion is that you do not have your story complete or straight, and it is sad that you falsely advertise these details. From what is sounds like, all you have is rumors. Perhaps you don't have the gall to address these people personally?

Arent the Lindseys giving a seminar at the th Iowa deer classic? Maybe somebody can ask them about their residency then?

Uncomfortable? Not likely. Simply amused at your poorly directed anger. My guess is you lost your hunting privileges because someone purchased the same land you had an opportunity to buy, and that might be the heart of your angst? Life changes, laws change, property ownership changes and when you find yourself having to adapt- you lash out on a public forum? Rather entertaining, really. But my suspicion is that you do not have your story complete or straight, and it is sad that you falsely advertise these details. From what is sounds like, all you have is rumors. Perhaps you don't have the gall to address these people personally?

I own hunting land and have for years. So you totally missed that one. I have plenty of details far beyond rumor on several nonresident landowners and have taken the steps that I felt were appropriate. The only anger I have is for those that violate Iowa's game laws and there is a remedy for that.

If you take notice, there is no defense. Simply a curiosity to your posts. For someone to be so vehemently arguing, I might think one would be careful to stay consistent to one's past, present and future.

However, are you sure that these "nonresident landowners" did not meet the criteria prior to the DNR changing the law at their whim, just before season? For prior to this, the laws, being quite different, were probably easily met- even if these people did not reside in Iowa for the full year, or carried on jobs outside of the state. Many occupations traverse states... for example, long haul coast-to-coast truckers who work independently or through companies across the US may not meet typical residency requirements, so what do these people do?

Here is all that matters on this subject.

1. Iowa has the right to determine residency requirements. (Already been decided in Federal Court)
2. Iowa has the right to determine requirements to to purchase resident hunting licences. (Already been decided in Federal Court)
3. Iowa has the right to deny or restrict Nonresidents and Nonresident landownwers the PRIVILEGE to hunt in Iowa. (Already been decided in Federal Court)
4. Iowa Conservation Officer's have the obligation to the residents of Iowa to enforce those residency regulations. (I commend those CO's that don't look the other way when people skirt the laws for personal gain.)
5. Those who are charged have to prove that they have met the requirements. (Requirement which are laided out specifically due to recent clarifications.)
6. Those who illegally (under false pretense) obtained an Iowa driver's licences for the purpose of obtaining a resident hunting license will have a felony on their record and will not be able to own a gun or vote. (Federal Law)
7. The big name (Famous) guys will be charged if they violated the residency requirements.

By the way I noticed that Jay G. put his land on the market this last week. I wonder if he sees the writing on the wall. Maybe he is worried about his claim of being an Iowa resident being questioned or charges being filed?

Man, this is definitely a religious discussion J . You all could come down and buy our unlimited, $225 Missouri NR tags (archery or firearms). You want to talk about a mess, look at Missouri!
I was invited for an archery hunt in Pike County, IL last fall and was shocked to find the ~$500 non-resident license fees ($410 plus other fees) – I didn’t go. In Iowa, if you are lucky enough to get DRAWN for a tag, they will charge ~$545 for a non-resident. In Kansas, again if you get drawn, you are looking at ~$350 plus other fees. Every wonder why Missouri is never spoken in the same breath as Iowa, Illinois or Kansas as a “destination” big buck state (centerfire rifle discussion aside)?
I get the issues you are passionate about, please just don’t forget how good you have it!
As far as the absentee land owner discussion, I was thinking about different situations. So this guy who “lives” in Georgia has a 5,000 acre farm, pays his income taxes to Iowa, registers his vehicles in Iowa, etc., isn’t a non-resident? What about traveling executives…I’d argue that they aren’t home 70% of the time? What about an NFL star, let’s use Brian Bulaga for example (I assume he is originally a farm boy from Iowa), now he probably has a place in the Green Bay area and obviously makes a world-class living. If he owns a home and land in Iowa, but is rarely there…should he be a non-resident?

Bulaga is form Illinois, just went to school at Iowa and spanked his beloved Bears in the championship game. Its good to see another Hawkeye playing a superbowl. :):drink2:

I am honestly glad the CO's are putting in the time to uphold the laws written by the state and not looking the other direction like some people think they should be. It is there job to enforce all laws regarding wildlife and hunting regulations. Some say they are wasting their time to catch people hunting over bait and now they are wasting there time trying to enforce this residency issue. I guess what is it that you think the CO should be doing???

I agree with most of you but I personally have live in iowa all my life. I now own a company that is based out of Tn. I live in iowa but my work takes me out of state for a good part of the year. Does that make me a non resident? I hunt more then anyone on here (21 days utah, 25 day Mo, 90 days iowa). Just because you work out of state doesnt make you a non res. I have a home here , trucks register here, had an iowa driver license since i was 16 here. Just because I am not in iowa all year doesnt mean I am not a resident here. Iowa doesnt have the best jobs available for all of us and many people have to go out of state to make a living. I love living here and would never move anywhere else. If i lost my resident for hunting here I wouldn't be a resident anywhere then. I heard some people complain about how can I be a resident when I am not here very much when its not hunting season. Its really no different then some of these guys are doing. I do know there are some guys that are really bending the rules and agree they should be stopped but there are some guys that are just like I am and work out of state for a good part of year and spend most of there time here during hunting season.

Just think if Mo was like Iowa you would be hunting every three years and
paying over twice as much.

I agree with most of you but I personally have live in iowa all my life. I now own a company that is based out of Tn. I live in iowa but my work takes me out of state for a good part of the year. Does that make me a non resident? I hunt more then anyone on here (21 days utah, 25 day Mo, 90 days iowa). Just because you work out of state doesnt make you a non res. I have a home here , trucks register here, had an iowa driver license since i was 16 here. Just because I am not in iowa all year doesnt mean I am not a resident here. Iowa doesnt have the best jobs available for all of us and many people have to go out of state to make a living. I love living here and would never move anywhere else. If i lost my resident for hunting here I wouldn't be a resident anywhere then. I heard some people complain about how can I be a resident when I am not here very much when its not hunting season. Its really no different then some of these guys are doing. I do know there are some guys that are really bending the rules and agree they should be stopped but there are some guys that are just like I am and work out of state for a good part of year and spend most of there time here during hunting season.

Does your wife and kids if you have any live here or Tenn. ? It just looks fishy when a guys direct family lives out of state along with place of business and the only connection they have to Iowa is hunting and they claim to be resident only for hunting purposes. It is a pretty wide spread problem in my area. For instance 2 or 3 guys claiming a machine shed for their home address and are only here a few weeks a year. Happens all the time around here and it sucks for everyone when a few guys cheat the system

I was told after leaving the state for 30 days, you were to change your driver licenes and tags.

I was told after leaving the state for 30 days, you were to change your driver licenes and tags.

If that was the case you know how many people break that law? I know so many farmer that leave for the winter after harvest. Plus what address or what state would i get it. I am in a different state almost every week and live in hotels for 6 months of the year. I am out of state right now been gone since jan 10th so you telling me in 9 days I need to go get a different driver licenes and plate in what ever state I am in at the time. I dont think so.

scottonbuck I understand what your saying and no I dont have a wife or kids I dont even have a girl friend because there is no way I could ever have a relationship when I am never in one place more then a month or two as I live to hunt. Honestly that is all I do 8 months out of the year and work when ever i have free time. I know most people are not like that but I have set my life up to live a dream of just hunting and able to do it now. There are a lot of people that do cheat the system and I dont agree with it but there are some like me that get put in the middle of it to.

If that was the case you know how many people break that law? I know so many farmer that leave for the winter after harvest. Plus what address or what state would i get it. I am in a different state almost every week and live in hotels for 6 months of the year. I am out of state right now been gone since jan 10th so you telling me in 9 days I need to go get a different driver licenes and plate in what ever state I am in at the time. I dont think so.

scottonbuck I understand what your saying and no I dont have a wife or kids I dont even have a girl friend because there is no way I could ever have a relationship when I am never in one place more then a month or two as I live to hunt. Honestly that is all I do 8 months out of the year and work when ever i have free time. I know most people are not like that but I have set my life up to live a dream of just hunting and able to do it now. There are a lot of people that do cheat the system and I dont agree with it but there are some like me that get put in the middle of it to.

I was told this by the DOT about three years ago.

iowamonsterbuck, your profile shows you occupation as being a Pro Hunter. Is the business you own in Tn. related to the hunting / outdoors product?

iowamonsterbuck, your profile shows you occupation as being a Pro Hunter. Is the business you own in Tn. related to the hunting / outdoors product?
Great eye fatboy! Here's a question to any landowner wondering if they're a resident or not. Where does your head hit the pillow the majority of the time? That's your state of residency! You can play as many legal games as you want. You know which state you are a resident of!

Yeah it does I own a company called Stalker Outdoors www.stalkeroutdoors.com We have a warehouse and store in Tn. I also am in process of doing a hunting show. So all my work is all related to hunting. My main home is Iowa which has been since i was born I just hear more during hunting season then I am during rest of year doesn't mean I never here besides fall/winter I just travel a lot and do spend a good part in Tn but normal only a few weeks at a time.

Top Bottom