Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

DCO (Dwarf Chinkapin Oak) for sale; plus other nuts/acorns

We are currently selling DCO's until supply is gone. $20/lb plus shipping. Trees are located near Dubuque, IA, zone 4/5. We also have other nuts/acorns available. Chestnuts are $6/lb.
Deb
White Water Native Seeds

Are the trees remnant to IA, or did they come from a different area originally?

Letemgrow--I was just giving Loneranger some "guff" as he always says his area is so dry. Just a joke actually.

I was tempted to order some of the chestnuts, then a co-worker asked if I wanted some. I was given 10 yesterday that I am going to stratify in the fridge. Only down side is I have no idea of the variety, but that isn't a huge issue for me.

I know the question was not asked of me but the 30 that I have growing were put in the ground in the fall where I wanted them and covered with 2" of dirt and the same of mulch. I had almost 100 percent success with them popping the next spring.
My acorns have arrived!
Though I didnt know they would already have tails on them.

Do I need to hurry up and plant them? Or can I wait til the weekend?
IMG951985.jpg

Looking for some insight... I took the acorns out of the fridge last night (I was going to count them) and noticed that the root ends has started to turn brown and the moisture that was inside the bag had frosted. I am thinking that leaving the acorns inside the shipping box may have insulated the acorns and caused this frost....
I received the acorns Monday and the earliest I am able to plant them is tomorrow.
My question is, are these acorns going to be fine or are they ruined and planting them going to be a complete waste?
Any insight would be appreciated.
IMG952185.jpg

I know the question was not asked of me but the 30 that I have growing were put in the ground in the fall where I wanted them and covered with 2" of dirt and the same of mulch. I had almost 100 percent success with them popping the next spring.
Old thread here, but does everyone agree with this method being the “best”? Or better to start in pots and transplant?

Old thread here, but does everyone agree with this method being the “best”? Or better to start in pots and transplant?

Not speaking from experience, just from other's input - I like getting them in their final location and knowing you wont damage the roots during transplant or restrict growth with a container. Let that deep tap root grow unmolested. Can be a lot easier to keep em watered in containers though if that is a concern and its not like there aren't millions of examples proving that starting in containers works!

For low quantity i used a guy from habitat-talk's method last year and I like how it has worked thus far.
- Cut bottom off plastic 2 gal container that I had leftover from spring spruce planting
- Stick container in the ground
- Bury 2 acorns (at least one of them should germinate and you can cull the weaker of the 2)
- Cut hardware mesh to fit inside the plastic container and use landscape staple to hold it down so squirrels dont dig em out
- Once sprouting you can cut the hardware mesh away and cage or tube as you desire for protection

The container helps keep water directed to the roots and provides a little barrier protecting against critters digging under the hardware mesh.

Top Bottom