Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Dead Ringer Broadheads

Lucky13

Just wanting to hear some opinions on what you guys think...I'm looking at either the Freak Nasty or Trauma

I think both of those heads, especially the trauma are fantastic heads for bodyshots on turkeys.
I personally wouldn't shoot an over the top expandable that large at deer unless i was throwing a 600+ grain arrow from an 80-90 lb bow. Since dead ringer now sponsors a handful of shows they have gained some tv popularity. Not everything you see on tv is what it appears...
I would highly recommend them for turkeys and im sure the smaller heads are just as good as any other broadhead put in the right place

Agreeing with rich. My bro in law got me the big over the top expandable that rocket makes and i cant bring myself to use them. I only shoot a 450 arrow at 70 draw. I'm comparing your heads in question to my example.

My arrows r 475 grains total I believe. 282 FPS last time I ran it through chrono which was last week in basement. :). I did a lot of testing my own heads with about 25 combinations of heads & arrows before settling so maybe test em out. I liked seeing for myself instead of all the marketing out there.

And what did Skip Labs come up with for this years deadly combination?

I heard he was down to a bullhead and a gobbler guillotine in the finals and was gonna flip a coin to see which he was gonna go with.
All kidding aside I'm also curious what your research found. I've tested a few heads in the past but didn't conduct any new tests this year.

And what did Skip Labs come up with for this years deadly combination?

Ha ha. My basement was a testing grounds similar to the New Mexico Nuclear test on the sand flats.
I did bone followed by meat, plywood followed by meat. Same with ballistic gel. Then I did only ballistic gel and only meat with nothing hard in it. I even did 4" meat, plywood and then meat again. Usually backed up with target. Did tons of tests to make things consistent. I think it was 7 of most recommended arrows and I think about 5-6 heads. I wanted (my preference, which is not what others may want): I wanted penetration and wound channel. Could really see wound channel in ballistic gel. I didn't get into which heads flew the tightest or other stuff but my arrows now do fly very good & tight. Not saying I found best combo but I found what I like best and outperformed everything else by a good bit (for example, arrow did 3"-4" more penetration on every single test)..... Ramcat 125 grain, 1.5" cut broadhead with deep six, Injexion arrows that are 11 GPI- heaviest ones. Insane penetration & wound channels. Not saying it's the best out there but I'm very pleased. After I shoot some does & some deer- maybe my opinion will change but I love it so far.

Ha ha. My basement was a testing grounds similar to the New Mexico Nuclear test on the sand flats.
I did bone followed by meat, plywood followed by meat. Same with ballistic gel. Then I did only ballistic gel and only meat with nothing hard in it. I even did 4" meat, plywood and then meat again. Usually backed up with target. Did tons of tests to make things consistent. I think it was 7 of most recommended arrows and I think about 5-6 heads. I wanted (my preference, which is not what others may want): I wanted penetration and wound channel. Could really see wound channel in ballistic gel. I didn't get into which heads flew the tightest or other stuff but my arrows now do fly very good & tight. Not saying I found best combo but I found what I like best and outperformed everything else by a good bit (for example, arrow did 3"-4" more penetration on every single test)..... Ramcat 125 grain, 1.5" cut broadhead with deep six, Injexion arrows that are 11 GPI- heaviest ones. Insane penetration & wound channels. Not saying it's the best out there but I'm very pleased. After I shoot some does & some deer- maybe my opinion will change but I love it so far.

Were yours sharp out of the pack? That's the only knock I've heard bout them.

When I haven't been shaving with my Rambo knife, I've used the broadheads to do the job. Seem sharp as piss to me but I'll look and feel them over real close cause that's the 1st I've heard of that.

Ram cats are the real deal, great broadhead. I do think that they sent a shipment out early on that was sub par on the sharpness. Im sure they resolved that pretty quick

Ditto on the Ramcats. Penetrate like crazy and are some bad medicine on deer. If only they were legal for my Idaho elk hunt. :'(

Why would those be illegal? Because the blades are screwed on? I just can't see how it's any different than my old Muzzys where I swapped blades out any time I wanted. Fixed head but I guess u could say the blades can move so maybe they r technically claiming mechanical? Weird.

Why would those be illegal? Because the blades are screwed on? I just can't see how it's any different than my old Muzzys where I swapped blades out any time I wanted. Fixed head but I guess u could say the blades can move so maybe they r technically claiming mechanical? Weird.

It seems a little ridiculous to me, but per the FAQ / Q&A page on the Idaho game and fish website, it was specifically asked if they were legal or not. Because the blades can pivot/expand if pulled backwards, they are therefore a "mechanical" head. I don't understand the discrimination... surely SCOTUS could get involved and redefine the definition of mechanical so I can use my ramcats!

Top Bottom