Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deal on Ferterlizer???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">28-0-4
$9.99 for a 40 pound bag. </div></div>

Seems reasonable to me /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I heard that tractor supply has it on sale???

like 24 6 16 or something???? like 11 bucks for 50lbs.

dbltree......

Would this type of fertilizer help 1st year CIR switch? It sprouted mid June but is not doing much above ground (maybe 5-6inches). I have read that switch puts a lot of energy into the root in the first year. Thanks for your thoughts......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigTypical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">dbltree......

Would this type of fertilizer help 1st year CIR switch? It sprouted mid June but is not doing much above ground (maybe 5-6inches). I have read that switch puts a lot of energy into the root in the first year. Thanks for your thoughts...... </div></div>

Switchgrass (like any grass) loves nitrogen, so yes...it would help but bear in mind that weeds also would just love a dose of nitrogen. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif

Generally nitrogen is not reccommended the first year simply for that reason, it encourages weed growth.

If your using residual herbicide like atrazine then weeds aren't as much of an issue.

I have used urea on my established switchgrass but remember to apply any urea form or nitrogen just ahead of a rain or most if it will be lost.

Hope that didn't confuse you to much but I have never used any nitrogen on first year prairiegrasses /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

i checked the bag and it is only 32 pounds, but for ten dollars a bag that still isn't bad. i put some of this down on a brassica plot at the end of may and it worked great.. the plants are knee high in a few spots. remember, if you go get some DON'T buy the bag with the weed killer (weed and feed)..

one side note: as i am typing this, i am also watching one of the new deer hunting DVDs with some of the hunts taking place in iowa. all i can say is wow, you guys have some huge deer!!

Top Bottom