Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

December Bowhunting

Zim

I'm a NR planning on coming back to try to fill my tag in December. Thought I might come back the week between Christmas and New Years since work is slow then. Do the bigger bucks show themselves in daylight at that time? By Dec. they are all either dead or nocturnal here in NW IN. Curious the way tags are distributed how many other bowmen or muzzleloaders will be out there.

Zim,

This months article by Tracy Templeton is a great read for late season and alot of it applies for bowhunters.

We feel scouting is the key, keeping an eye on an area, glassing food sources if you will.

We also feel if you can hunt closer to the last days is also an advantage, deer are more into late winter habits and sometimes lacks.

Good luck!

Out for seven hours today, saw one lone doe from my stand. All the deer are feeding in the grain fields along the road on my drive home.
We sure could use a little warm-up here in NW Iowa, more snow and wind again tomarrow. Hope things are going better for the rest of you crazy late season hunters.

Good Luck, Mike

Boy the last two days wouldn't have been very fun to hunt, today is better. I can handle the snow and cold but the wind blowing 40 mph is to much.

Anyone out there braving it?

TLH

A little warmer today but still artic like. Went home around 3:30 when the wind chile made it to -35 degrees. Today was my last day of vacation, thank God. I need a couple days to heal up after all this fun.

Will be back out this weekend with black powder. I hope mother nature melows a little before the end of season.

As for sheds, I have never stopped looking but the early reports are from sick or wounded deer. Bucks will indeed drop early this season if winter continues the way it has here in NW Iowa.

Mike

I sat inside the first rows of a corn plot yesterday,Brrrrr. Nothing.
Today out of a stand along a traditional route. Brrrr. Nothing.
Hard to move around in all the snow to scout. Renting some snow shoes in a couple days. aleast the crust is covered.
My beagle keeps giving me that pi$$ed off look for hunting latr this year. He'd sink out of sight around here. More falling tonight. WOW! Got my gas bill today! Hope LOEW'S call with those windows I ordered.

Mike,

I'll bet that wind has been cold up your way, good chance the snow is deep too.

I figured you would be out there late-season and it won't be long to start shedding, some say already.

I have found the closer to the last day the more relaxed the animals get so will keep glassing up until X-Mas and then go to a stand.

Be careful in your stand,

tlhs.jpg

PS, yesterday I heard about an Iowa buck that was taken that is an 8 pointer that scores over 180 inches, can you imagine.

In one of the above post I mentioned a Big 8 Pointer that was pushing the 180's, here is a pic.

Ken Toms is the proud hunter, he is from over my way SW Iowa, and gave me permission to post this pic.

Congrats to Kenny!

tomsbuck.jpg

Ken had quite a bow season also but didn't harvest this buck with a bow, he is a shotgun buck, 12/3/00.

The Staff

Anyone have any helpful ideas right now. No crops to hunt, just timber. Been hunting the edge of 5 to 10 year old regrowth, very thick. Not near the traffic as earlier, one deer every 5 to 6 hours. Very cold!!!! Passed a 140 class 3 year old for next year, but have not been seeing the bigger deer i saw earlier. Should i continue to stay put or look to move? Keep posting the good news about seeing big deer, it helps the rest of us have hope. Am new to Iowa and extremely impressed with the deer hunting here. If i would have known it was here i would have moved years ago!! Good luck to all the late season hunters who are toughing it out!

Top Bottom