Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Decoy Storage

mole

How do most of you store your decoy. I have been keeping mine in my shed and noticed last night the gas cans and lawnmower. I wondered how much scent from the gas and mower contaminate the decoy. Is it safe to leave it in the shed and just set it out in August or September to let the scent disperse?

mole

This isn't related as much to storage as to transportation. I went to the hardware store and purchased a white gate type handle and screwed it to the belly of my decoy with metal screws. I can assemble the whole thing and turn it upside down , grab ahold of the handle and steer it around obstacles. You have very little contact with the decoy and it keeps it much mor sanitized. I have had great luck with it here in WI but when I've hunted Iowa I had 2 book deer come toward the sucker and shy away from him. I have the factory type 2 1/2 year old horns on it or else a doe with an arched real deer tale to simulate an esterus doe. I have had good luck with the later setup with doe bleating.

WI Shedhead

Since I borrowed my friends last year and it worked so well for me I'll probably ask him again this year. I'd hate to buy one.
grin.gif

Anyway his is a flambeau that breaks down. The legs and head fit into the cavity of the body. He puts it into a large garbage bag with a rag loaded with doe stink and seals it up in the off season.

Pupster

Shedhead, that is a good idea with the white handle mounted on the belly for transport, I will have to try that tip out. As far as storage, I keep it outside during the season and drench it with scent killer prior to the hunt. That seem to work as well as anything I have tried yet.

My luck with it the last couple of years has been so good that I'll need to replace my buck decoy (Carry Lite) if it continues to take this abuse. I let three bucks over 3.5 years old take it to the ground this year. My doe decoy (Flambeau)does not get much action compared to the buck though

Top Bottom