Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Decoy Upgrade

tmule88

With Turkey season quickly approaching I am getting rid of my old cheap decoys and in the market for a new spread. I would like to get a jake and hen combo and I am looking for opinions. I am not sure if I am willing to drop the money on the Dave Smiths even as awesome as they are. What other decoys out there are you guys having success with?

There is a thread on here about getting Avian Decoys cheap but take the plunge on DSD.

I see the Avian hens are available in Lookout, Feeder, and Breeder positions. Which do you all prefer?

Avian X are nice decoys, only problem I see with them is the deformation when they initially come out of the box they are crammed into...

Avian X are nice decoys, only problem I see with them is the deformation when they initially come out of the box they are crammed into...

Put them under hot water, get the bends out then let them cool down.

I use dsd. The only issue is they are not as easy to transport as others. But I can live with it.

You can't go wrong with the DSD or the avians. If you can't kill a bird over either of those it is not the decoy. I don't think I have shot a bird over 15yds since I have bought the Avians 5 years ago. i went Avian as I like the ability to to flatten them out and remain a little less bulky. If I was blind hunting 99% of the time I would have went DSD as I do believe the posture is better.

On a side note, my avian has been shot 3 times to date and is full of BBs. Still fully inflates no problem. Not sure how the heck it works but If I remember I will take some pics so you can see it.

With your consistent success with the motion stakes I ordered one this morning to go with my DSD Jake. Anxious for the head lobbing to begin. Great drawing by the way:D

LOL yeah the drawing was bad. The program I use is tough because I have to use a finger mouse and can't draw anything well. Oh well, it works. :D Good luck!

Top Bottom