Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Decoy Upgrade

Mike. Not to hijack this post but can you show us how you mounted your Jake to the strut stake?

Im going to flip the motor over and put the short end in the ground stake and secure it with a few wraps of electrical tape. Then cut the two prongs off the the longer end and put it in the hole of the dsd to get desired height. Once I figure that out I will mark the spot on the stake and start wrapping electrical tape around the stake until it fits snug in the stake hole of the dsd. Once it fits snug I'm going to put a few more wraps of electrical tape around stake and dsd for added stability. Plan on doing it this weekend. Should work. I will let ya know.

Mike. Not to hijack this post but can you show us how you mounted your Jake to the strut stake?

Read Bowtech 84s post right after yours. That is how I would do it with the new style ones. I have the old style stake and I simply cut the rod to length for the DSD jake and wrapped duct tape around it to build up the stake so it fits snug in the body. the older style remote stake works awesome but I am liking the looks of the new ones as they look much more compact.

Read Bowtech 84s post right after yours. That is how I would do it with the new style ones. I have the old style stake and I simply cut the rod to length for the DSD jake and wrapped duct tape around it to build up the stake so it fits snug in the body. the older style remote stake works awesome but I am liking the looks of the new ones as they look much more compact.

I thought you had the older style remote stake. That's why I asked. I also have the older style. Might have to try to get it to work this weekend.

I thought you had the older style remote stake. That's why I asked. I also have the older style. Might have to try to get it to work this weekend.

Ahh I see. For the older style I just put a rod in the insert of the motor on top the decoy and cut it to length for the jake. I then wrapped tape around the rod so that it fit snug into the decoy. Works great.

Is it best to get the DSD breeding pair or the stand alone DSD jake? I will be using in youth season and likely 4th.

Is it best to get the DSD breeding pair or the stand alone DSD jake? I will be using in youth season and likely 4th.

The breeding hen sits too low in my opinion. Hard to see in later seasons. If I could only pick two it would be the DSD Jake and leading hen or upright hen. Both of those can double up as a breeder by sitting on ground. The DSD Jake is the must have. You can use other hen decoys with it, the birds will just go to the jake. Movement on the jake does wonders as well.

Does the decoy move all the time with the stake or can u turn it off and on from the blind? Never heard of them before but it sounds like a great idea to add realism to the dave smith decoys! How well is the battery life on them?

Does the decoy move all the time with the stake or can u turn it off and on from the blind? Never heard of them before but it sounds like a great idea to add realism to the dave smith decoys! How well is the battery life on them?

It comes with a remote so you can control it from the blind. Batteries last all season.

Here is the poor man's motion stake. All it took was a piece of tubing, a spool of fishing line, a little duck tape and 2 old black socks. image-3343328222.jpg image-3591854668.jpg Just push the tubing in the ground, insert the stake and your set. The sock just keeps the line from unraveling and getting all tangled up. The decoy will only spin in one direction but it hasn't been an issue yet.:D

Last edited:
I didn't plan on it, but it happened. Scheels has DSD Jake decoy for $139. Thought I saw some folks looking. Was enough for me to do it

DSD decoys are on sale on Scheel's website right now. Just wanted to let guys know in case they wanted to buy one. $20 off. Shipping may be free if over $100 I'm not sure on that.

Top Bottom