Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Decoy

bigbuckhunter88

PMA Member
Well I have a couple set ups for a couple deer where I think a decoy could be the trick that seals the deal. What decoy have others used and liked. DSD is out of my price range for number of uses. What are some upsides and downsides to certain brands.
Thanks

Carry lite was a good decoy but they are out of business now the boss buck is a nice decoy but it seems way large and I would think that might scare deer away! The dsd is amazing but Im not spending 600$ to let deer beat it up! So to be honest I don't really know what decoy on the market I would go with! I had a carry lite and sold it a few years ago! Wish I would of hung onto it tho now!

I've used my 3D whitetail as a decoy. I've been successful two years and counting, though the boy could use a new paint job. Looking a little faded.

I have the Boss Buck, worked great, but I think it is loud when carrying in and out. It's hollow and hard plastic, so I always carry it in assembled. Maybe all decoys are this way, but it is the only one I have had experience with.

If you look close in this photo you can see the decoy and the buck I shot with the arrow protruding out his side. He really thought that somehow the decoy got him! Stood there and drained out looking confused, once he realized he was in trouble it was too late!

8587-img_20141113_083907095_2.jpg

I use the boss buck as well and agree with KSHUNTER, always carry it in assembled. It's worked well for me the past 3 years.

He really thought that somehow the decoy got him! Stood there and drained out looking confused, once he realized he was in trouble it was too late!

Interesting...I once shot a nice buck that was completely locked in on the decoy I had out and he did about the same thing. I hit him a little back, mainly because I didn't allow for him moving, as he was still walking when I released the arrow. It was a complete pass through and I waited for him to run off...only he didn't.

He jumped back about 10 feet and then stood there for a few seconds and then started puffing his hair all up again to prepare to take on the decoy for the second time. I think he attributed the first arrow to something that the buck(decoy) did to him.

He then re-started the stiff legged walk over to the decoy and so I shot him again! This time he took off, but didn't make it far. One of my most memorable hunts ever.

Last edited:
Awesome pic! I have a flambeau doe decoy and I'm thinking about attaching some antlers to the top one of these days. A couple years back I had 3 different does blow at it from about 100 yds out and I haven't used it since. The second they entered the field they were suspicious of it and all did 180's back to where they came from. Maybe the antlers will help with that?

Well I have a couple set ups for a couple deer where I think a decoy could be the trick that seals the deal. What decoy have others used and liked. DSD is out of my price range for number of uses. What are some upsides and downsides to certain brands.
Thanks

Not to hijack this thread but I hunt deep woods setups. I've heard a decoy in the woods is not good. Anybody have success with this?

I have a spot that is super thick and just need something to stop them instead of a grunt for a shot. I have maybe 20 yards to get their attention.

Not to hijack this thread but I hunt deep woods setups. I've heard a decoy in the woods is not good. Anybody have success with this? I have a spot that is super thick and just need something to stop them instead of a grunt for a shot. I have maybe 20 yards to get their attention.

I probably wouldn't use a decoy in the woods. It will most likely startle anything that comes across it as they wont be able to see it until the last second.

Not to hijack this thread but I hunt deep woods setups. I've heard a decoy in the woods is not good. Anybody have success with this?

I have a spot that is super thick and just need something to stop them instead of a grunt for a shot. I have maybe 20 yards to get their attention.

The key is that they have to be able to see it from a distance from what I have read or been told. If you had a spot in the timber that was open and visible, I think it could work.

Top Bottom