Deer classic pics??? Can u all post em??

Discussion in 'Iowa Whitetail Conference' started by Sligh1, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Hardwood11

Hardwood11 Well-Known Member

If that buck was 3 years old.... holy sh**!!

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. TeenageHunter

TeenageHunter McNorrisBieber Staff Member

4. southsideriverrat

southsideriverrat New Member

Incorrect. Jay's understanding of the sheds and the ideal spread setting, etc, was straight from Klaus Lebrecht and Keith Snider. All before Jay owned the sheds. The full mount was hastily arranged and done very poorly obviously. Jay was just sort of along for the ride on that. Klaus set up the mount. Yes it was put on an old full body set up for prior sheds. Jay made a very good decision not to display that setup.

For clarity, the full body mount was never set up at the Iowa Deer Classic. Period. I was at the booth all three days. So lots of misinformation out there.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  5. southsideriverrat

Incorrect.

No money down the drain to mount it. It was just putting an early replica set on an old full body used at many shows in the past. Zero cost outside of trailering it to the show.

6. southsideriverrat

No the full body mount was not removed. It was never displayed. That decision was made, wisely, before the show began.

7. southsideriverrat

I know the comment is in fun, and with sarcasm, but still...unlike Rompola:
    1. These are sheds.
    2. They are real for sure.
    3. The use of *this* old full body mount was an awful idea because the angles of the mount posts were off. That's why you can joke about any similarity with the Rompola.

The photo's put out on the web did the damage, but also helped keep that awful mountin the trailer.

Mitch's rack was what it was. The temporary mount does not reflect how these sheds will be mounted for the long haul.

8. southsideriverrat

These two are indeed of the 2015 Indy Legend buck. Now...how do you think these angled views are helpful in setting up an inside spread on mounted sheds? The first one is mildly helpful and the second one is minimally helpful. They both show a gorgeous deer as we can all see. These two photo's ARE helpful in setting up other rotational angles of the mount.

9. southsideriverrat

Incorrect. I've heard nothing like this despite having been in the Fish booth the entire show, and having much contact with Jay before the show too.

Correct that the full body mount was not properly set for this deer. Obviously, when the deer is set up properly, the antlers will be higher than that mount, and the brow tines will be much more vertical.

For clarity, it's not accurate to call Dan Cole the "publicist" of these Indy Legend sheds. Dan Cole had been talking with Keith Snider about writing the story of these sheds. This was before Jay bought the sheds. Jay is merely honoring Keith's commitment to Dan in that sense. Jay doesn't need any publicist as you know. But he doesn't write many articles. So Dan is going to do that. Dan writes really good deer articles. It makes sense.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  10. southsideriverrat

Some correct info here, some incorrect.

Yes the full body mount was a last minute thing, an old body used many times before and poorly set for these sheds. It was a terrible mistake to do it, and a mistake to post the images. That's on Dan, Jay, and Klaus. I never did get Jay to come around to my view on how bad it was. I was very happy when Jay decided not to display that mount.

Nobody was saying those sheds would ultimately be mounted more widely than in that temporary mount. Well I never heard that from Dan or Jay or anybody else fwiw.

The full body mount sheds were replicas. Nobody is going to drill holes up into the bases of the original sheds. The originals would've been there for all to hold and pose with regardless.

Yup...they are huge!

11. southsideriverrat

Yes it's true that the original posting about the existence and significance of these sheds was posted on FB against Dan Cole's wishes. Cameron Coble posted the info and photo's. But Cameron had been aware of the whole thing long ago and had not promised to keep things under wraps. He did not break any promises in posting the info. And Jay gave him permission to do it. Regardless...yes...a big deer soap opera, it's true.

I photographed Dan and Cameron chatting amiably on Saturday right before the sheds were panel scored. It'll be o.k.

12. southsideriverrat

The missing piece was found and fit exactly. This allows accurate scoring and is accepted by the NASHC. There is no issue here. All major scoring bodies allow repaired antlers to be scored as long as the broken piece(s) are in hand and the original configuration and measurements can be assured.

13. southsideriverrat

Here you are mixing issues.

Yup...that temporary mount looked awful. It was a very poorly done to try to get it in time for the Iowa show. Bad bad bad

The "broken head gear" had nothing to do with speculation. There was/is no speculation with regard to the repaired tine. It is completely accurate.

Speculation can be construed vis-a-vis the shed mounts with regard to rotation, spread, etc. Educated speculation of course.

14. southsideriverrat

The mounted sheds looked horrible. No question. I'm still not sure Jay understands how bad they looked. If the next attempt doesn't look better then...well...we'll see how it goes.

Seriously...I'm not feeling that anybody is making them to be more than they are. They are fabulous antlers. It's just the inside spread really. Stay tuned

15. southsideriverrat

Nothing odd here.

Both sheds were found on Jan 31, 2016. The right by Andrea Moffett and her (now ex) husband. The left by her niece. The left had 5" missing from the G3.

In order for this whole thing to come together...

the sheds had to be purchased separately. Then the missing section of the left G3 had to be located. The fact that this actually happened is nearly unbelievable. I suppose it will be part of the story when it is published. The repair then needed to be documented, verified, and accomplished. Keith Snider got all this done by last fall. Nobody was working on it until he did. I don't know when he started on it. Andrea went through a divorce. She could not focus on it. There was no manipulation of any timing.

16. southsideriverrat

The sheds fell slightly outward and backward as they grew. This can be seen by close inspection of the angle near the bases. See other wide racks...the Knisley, the Grundy, etc. It did not happen again in 2016 as the buck was in decline and the rack was slightly smaller. Funny to say the 2016 rack was smaller than anything, as it is HUGE in itself.

17. southsideriverrat

The mounted sheds on the full body mount are indeed an awful thing.

Don't let it make you cynical. Still hoping it gets done right.

18. Spysar

Spysar Active Member

Nothing like a big deer to bring every wormy bastard out. I wish the antlers crumbled to dust. What a bunch of clowns.....

scottonbuck and bigbuckhunter88 like this.
  19. muddy

muddy Administrator

Drama and controversy, controversy and drama, just makes me shake my head at what some people have done to big deer, big sheds, and hunting in general.

20. Boonervilleusa

Boonervilleusa Active Member

You should read Jays Facebook post. He absolutely said the mount was how the antlers should have been, and that they actually should have been even wider.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. Rjack

Rjack Well-Known Member

Wow, that is quite a bit of effort to join a site and type out all those responses. The mount absolutely reminded me of the Rampola buck. Let's give this one a rest.