Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer hunting proposals for 2018

Fishbonker

Life Member
The DNR held a meeting this morning to go over the harvest data from 2017 and outlining their plans for the 2018 deer seasons.

No big surprises in the harvest data. Iowa is at its goal for deer harvests. Their goals are a sustainable harvest of 100-120 thousand deer/year. Just over 105 thousand in 2017.

The plans for next year include a late antlerless season in Allamakee, Clayton, Wayne and Appanoose Counties with the same rules as previous late seasons. These counties will also see an increase in antlerless tags. A change in the way antlerless tags are sold is being proposed. Currently only one antlerless tag can be purchased before Sept. 15th. After Sept. 15th antlerless tag sales are unlimited until the quota is met. The proposal is to stage (spread out) the sales of antlerless tags until the quota is met.

Nonresident tags in zones 1,2 and 10 will be decreased by 50% and the tags will be shifted to zone 9. This amounts to approximately 300 tags being shifted to zone 9.

A couple of other items of note, an on going study in Iowa is reflecting a trend in the Midwest of decreased fawn doe pregnancies. 10% of fawn does are either bred or have a fawn. This is down from 60-70% of fawn doe pregnancies in the late 70's.

A county where antlerless tag quotas were decreased last year showed an increase in sales and an increase in harvest. I'm not sure if this was the case in just one or several counties. It is an interesting phenomena. Too many variables to say why or how it occurred. It may be as simple as supply and demand. If there is a perceived decrease in supply the demand goes up.

This is what I remember and deciphered from my scribbled notes. Remember theses are proposed changes and can be discussed at the Feb 21st meetings. The actual harvest data maybe available online somewhere but I haven't had time to look.

I wonder if the late season talk in the listed counties is due to the CWD thing? I just hate to see that late season rear it's ugly head. I have a bad feeling it will only be a matter of time before the late season spreads to other counties...

I wonder if the late season talk in the listed counties is due to the CWD thing? I just hate to see that late season rear it's ugly head. I have a bad feeling it will only be a matter of time before the late season spreads to other counties...
It will be interesting to see what they say and why at the ICDNR meeting tomorrow night.
They want to lower tags in some areas and have a kill fest in others:confused:

It will be interesting to see what they say and why at the ICDNR meeting tomorrow night.
They want to lower tags in some areas and have a kill fest in others:confused:
I can't make the meeting tomorrow. Care to give a run down after it. I'm assuming the late season has to be for CWD as it's isolated to 4 counties. I would like to hear their reasoning behind the slaughter if the disease can be spread by birds and also stay in the soil. Maybe they should open up a season for eagles and hawks.

I can't make the meeting tomorrow. Care to give a run down after it. I'm assuming the late season has to be for CWD as it's isolated to 4 counties. I would like to hear their reasoning behind the slaughter if the disease can be spread by birds and also stay in the soil. Maybe they should open up a season for eagles and hawks.

Yes I can and I’m sure many others will be posting about the meeting.
I’ll probably be doing this afterwards
5b15df2495efa7bf9d6daf5855f3c839.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't say I agree with their strategy of more available tags for zone 9. I think zone 9 is starting to suffer what much southern Iowa has for years and that is a lack of access. I've seen many farms get leased out just around my small area. I see many more leased hunting signs up in others. I don't know how you would fix that.

It's really tough to gain and keep access to private now in my area in 9. I can think of several farms close that have been leased out in the past few years. Public is really starting to show pressure as a result.

Pressure & the competition for access to land is incredibly hard & getting worse. That one needs to be hammered home. The more they “screw with regs” - IMO - direct correlation to reduced access. I know these landowners, farmers & hunters..... “screw all these wacko’s in legislature & things Dnr will go along with, I’m taking no part in it and this garbage ain’t going on with my farm”. I hear that CONSTANTLY. People want to protect their farms & manage deer differently than the politicians want to DICTATE. And sorry- I agree with them, politicians are about the least educated on how the deer herd should be managed. & the politicians motives are always in question.

The 4 county late shed buck season - this again. So........ kill off the deer in those 4 counties. Wipe em out. Year round hunting. A bounty on every deer’s head. IF IF IF we need to kill more deer to “help” with cwd (which u won’t do IMO from what I’ve learned) - the logic MUST be to kill every single deer. Not leave one left. If u kill 50% - not going to do a thing. Either leave it be or wipe it out......

Leaving it be seems the logical answer as there’s nothing one can do now. Wiping them out- second any more deer populate it - bam- it’s right back to square one. Then, even in deer eradication zones- birds transmit it. So- I’m really having a hard time getting my head around how killing more deer will make any difference?!?!? Since there’s no cure and since there’s no cure for EHD - should we kill off deer in areas that have EHD deaths???

Yeah, all the guys I know that hunted to late season up here, they all walked around pounding their chests like cavemen thinking they are doing the world a favor...they dont normally hunt that area which is the shotty part...

Yeah, all the guys I know that hunted to late season up here, they all walked around pounding their chests like cavemen thinking they are doing the world a favor...they dont normally hunt that area which is the shotty part...
This is the big thing. Ignorant folks think they are being "do gooders" when the people that live, own land, or hunt in the areas want it left alone. How many folks will congregate to those 4 counties because either A) it's the only deer season still open, B) the DNR made the season so we need to kill more deer, or C) we are doing all of Iowa a favor in stopping the spread of this disease.

As a non resident hunter that hunts public land in zone 9. I really hope they don't increase non residents permits. It has already changed a lot in the last 5 years. Public lands aren't what they use to be and will continue to suffer with the increase in pressure. Too many farms being leased. I do not think I would apply for zone 9 if this changes. Just my 2 cents

As a non resident hunter that hunts public land in zone 9. I really hope they don't increase non residents permits. It has already changed a lot in the last 5 years. Public lands aren't what they use to be and will continue to suffer with the increase in pressure. Too many farms being leased. I do not think I would apply for zone 9 if this changes. Just my 2 cents

Yeah we have private and also hunt public. It’s been a drastic change. Our hunting Cabin in Harper’s tends to have all the locals show up and talk. No one likes where things are heading

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I better lock up some ground in zone 9 now. I wonder if this would allow a NR to draw a bow tag in say 2 yrs or 3 instead of 4. I suppose it depends on how many of the 300 are alloted to bow season.

If a NR could draw a bow tag say every other year all of our decent chunks of land would be bought and split up. Land prices would sky rocket. Leasing would triple immediately.

I know there are a lot of guys chomping at the bit to buy here but our restricted NR tags are the only thing holding them back.

We can only pray this never happens.

We can only pray this never happens.

Agree. And, God gives us free will too, so you darn well better go to meetings!!!!!! That's where the difference is made. You get a couple guys who can get the message across at each location (instead of spending 2 hours talking about adjust Teal season by a day or some stupid crap like that!!!! UGGGHHHH!!!)..... THAT makes a difference. Competent voices with even one statement of meaningful input. I'll even write your Script...... You can print this out and read aloud..... "LEAVE OUR DEER SEASON AND REGULATIONS ALONE". Heck, just like the Loonie left paying the idiots to protest, maybe we should bus in the state's homeless people, pay them $15 and a free meal & have that quote read 10x at each location!!! ;).
You monkeys better go. I've gone to MOST of em. I'm sick to see a few locations empty, I wanna drive over there with the DNR, Governor & legislature & put tape around your counties & cancel deer hunting for the year!!!! You go or we're cancelling your deer season. ;)
Seriously, get off your butts and GO! Say one statement, throw something at the camera, turn a table over if you need to, toss a chair against the wall & then go home!!!!! (maybe a ride in a police car!). Kidding. But you better show up & speak up, even ONE SENTENCE!!!!!!!! Voice up for Iowa's resource. Protect & Defend it.

Agree. And, God gives us free will too, so you darn well better go to meetings!!!!!! That's where the difference is made. You get a couple guys who can get the message across at each location (instead of spending 2 hours talking about adjust Teal season by a day or some stupid crap like that!!!! UGGGHHHH!!!)..... THAT makes a difference. Competent voices with even one statement of meaningful input. I'll even write your Script...... You can print this out and read aloud..... "LEAVE OUR DEER SEASON AND REGULATIONS ALONE". Heck, just like the Loonie left paying the idiots to protest, maybe we should bus in the state's homeless people, pay them $15 and a free meal & have that quote read 10x at each location!!! ;).
You monkeys better go. I've gone to MOST of em. I'm sick to see a few locations empty, I wanna drive over there with the DNR, Governor & legislature & put tape around your counties & cancel deer hunting for the year!!!! You go or we're cancelling your deer season. ;)
Seriously, get off your butts and GO! Say one statement, throw something at the camera, turn a table over if you need to, toss a chair against the wall & then go home!!!!! (maybe a ride in a police car!). Kidding. But you better show up & speak up, even ONE SENTENCE!!!!!!!! Voice up for Iowa's resource. Protect & Defend it.

I remember the issue of tag reduction being brought up by hunters at the meetings. Even the DNR agreed that the state could back off on the number of doe tags available because the hunters had helped achieve the goal of reducing the deer herd by what ever the number was at the time. But our former "Farm bureau in the pocket" governor Branstat thought he knew better than any one else and would not support reducing the tag numbers. We can make all the noise we want but in the end it seems the lawmakers will do what is best for them. Sorry but I am a bit jaded with our government any more.

Did that skip. The DNR official knew all about the extended season in Allamakee and Clayton but did not want to talk about it. Our group was the only one that made mention to leave the seasons alone up there. One group will not make a difference. I think a lot of hunters have the mentality that if it isn't in their backyard then why worry about it.

Well unfortunately CWD will spread and it will happen in a lot of other counties as well. If those of you in other counties don't want to help as a group fight what is going on in the extended seasons in NE Iowa now, that is okay. But pleaseeeee don't come on here or another forum asking to voice our opinion to help your cause when it happens to you. It will fall on deaf ears, and those on these forums know who you are. Just saying.

Just like Skip said in a previous post. When you are killing all the deer indiscriminately you are POSSIBLY eliminating deer that are immune, therefore instead of taking 25 years to regrow the herd you are talking about 150 years.

Top Bottom