Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer movement update thread

Deer Nut

PMA Member
I figured we should have a thread dedicated to observations. Please include your general location also. NE Ia, SW Ia, etc.
I won't be back in a stand until next week. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: arm
Deer Nut said:
I hunted Van Buren county Sunday evening and only saw two fawns.

SC IA. Saw one 3yr old buck all morning and no other deer. Neighbor had a basket pushing a button, I stayed away from that general area

central iowa , yesterday AM one 3 y/o cruising , this evening several does and fawns all unharrased

Hunted WC MN last 4 days. Minimal rutting activity. A few basket racks and one maybe 120" harassed a doe and fawn for 30 seconds.

Last night saw 4 does and one was being dogged by a 3.5 year old. I was set up in a saddle and the very light wind was swirling and got busted.

This is going to be a fun thread to follow. I`ll be playing Wednesday through Saturday this week. Last weekend was slow 2 does and 4 bucks. The bucks were out looking but not in any big hurry.

Sat last night - saw some chasing up in the timber and had a up and comer come right in down wind and create a scrape and rub trees all over. I certainly have yet to be busted since using scent crusher - But cameras are still pretty slow and not seeing normal Halloween time activity. Hoping Wednesday after rain it's good

NE Iowa. Saw two four year olds Saturday evening along with some does. Bucks were scraping and posturing and it sounded like they had an all out brawl later in the draw out of sight. Sunday was slow with 3 does and a small buck. Tonight while gassing fields after work watched 3 bucks in a field with a doe. One was a 4 year old and the others were young bucks. He wasn't dogging her but was following her everywhere she went. Won't be out again until Friday but will be out scouting every night after work.

In the stand Oct 30, AM ,Harrison county Iowa. I believe I saw almost every deer in my area that morning. Does getting harassed by young bucks, had one of my target bucks at 45 yards twice. Got me shaking! Great morning all around. Feel like it's about ready to break loose! Good luck everyone.

Hunted Sunday and hunted this evening, mostly Fork bucks and Baskets harassing does. No mature bucks yet. Seen a couple nice bucks crossing roads and moving around at night, but no day light movement of mature deer.

NW Iowa. Slow. See a few each time out, but the big guys are only showing on camera at night. Scrapes around, but not seeing a lot of rubs yet. Guessing it'll be a week or so before we start to see things pick up.

I hunted in Central IA this weekend and as a whole I saw quite a few deer. The rut activity seemed pretty slow though. Trail cameras are still showing mostly night movement.

Hunted the 29th, 30th and I'm in the stand right now on the 1st. 30th was the best with 12+ does moving by my stand, but only dink bucks with the exception of a 3 1/2 yr old working a scrape this am. No bucks harassing does or acting interested at all. Don't they know it's November now!?

Saw a 2 year old working a scrape line on my walk in tonight. Saw a big one just before dark, say in the wrong stand.... Imagine that. But sure if it was the big buck or a different one, but there was a buck grunting and growling like crazy running all around a cut corn field. I couldn't see him, but heard it all.

Had a Stud buck at 35 yards tonight, probably 140-150, he has huge potential. Didn't have a shot opportunity, right before dark seen a lot of does.

Hunted Halloween morning on public in NE Iowa. Shot a 5 1/2 year old 10 pt(taxi gave me that info) at 8:05 am, just cruising through. 1st and only deer of my sit as I got right out of tree as he dropped 90 yards away.

Top Bottom