Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer movement update thread

Bucks chasing hard in Mahaska County! Saw a 5 1/2 chasing a doe hard this morning!!

Had a smaller 3.5 with him, quite angry with him.. young one was pushing the doe around and older buck made sure to put a stop to that. Tried to fight multiple occasions. Definitely locked down. Only 150 yds from the house.

Yearling for an hour after light then buck of my lifetime crossed field @200 yds at 9:30 no response to calls

Saw a 170+ bedded with a doe in the middle of a picked corn field today, 3 little bucks circling... otherwise no movement

Got in the stand at 3:30 tonight. Had a 3.5 year old 10 point chasing does in front of me around 4. Twenty minutes later one of the shooters shows up following a doe 60 yards from me. The doe milled around for pry five minutes as the buck stood guard. Then all the sudden they blew out of here and I'm still trying to figure out why. Lone doe walked by 15-20 min ago. The deer are on their feet.

Narrowly avoided hitting a buck last night at dusk as he blindly followed a doe across the road in front of me. Saw a buck standing next to a doe out in an open corn field at 5:30 tonight. Can't wait to get in the stand Saturday.

Seen two young pups out with their nose to the ground trailing two does. Heading back out in the morning . Anyone used a decoy buck this early?

Switch flipped 5:15. Hadn't seen a deer all day until then. Ended up seeing 13, 5 bucks. Chasing, grunting, snort wheezing. It was a pretty fun night. Nothing huge but one good looker.

Seen two young pups out with their nose to the ground trailing two does. Heading back out in the morning . Anyone used a decoy buck this early?

full

Yes! :eek::D:D This pic is the aftermath of a decoy hunt last year on Nov. 6th. (I couldn't upload the video because it was too large of a file.) IMO, the best time to use a decoy is right now...but...you will tend to get aggressive 2 and 3 year olds to respond more so than older age class animals While it is a very entertaining way to hunt the wily whitetail, IMO, your best bet for an older buck comes in a few more days. (Then again...who knows? :D Mr. Big could come in to a deke on a string tomorrow.)

Even if I reduce my chances for "grandpa" a little when I use a decoy, I plan on using one for at least one hunt sometime in the next few days...it's just too fun to watch a buck huff and puff and blow up my poor defenseless decoy right before my eyes.

I sat the AM and then back to a different stand in the afternoon today. I saw 6 bucks and 9 does total. All were just out for a snack. No chasing, sparring, dogging, etc. No visible rut activity. Weird .

I seen it all this afternoon/evening. Bucks chasing, bucks following does, bucks cruising alone, lone fawns, ect..... I'm guessing the next 2-3 days is going to be the best of it in my area.

Are the guys seeing good activity located in the northern part of the state? Can you include a general location please?

5 young bucks tonight chasing every which way from 3pm to dark. Saw a deer that dreams are made of in the ditch with a doe on the way home (wish I wouldn't have seen it because it might have just ruined hunting for the rest of my life)
SC IOWA

Deer Nut said:
Are the guys seeing good activity located in the northern part of the state? Can you include a general location please?

I'm in Crawford county - west central

My buddy's farm is in eastern Davis Co. I didn't see much the Nov 3. I did see a small buck harassing a doe but he's young and dumb.
My friend had a good morning 5 bucks and 8 does. Two of the buck were 140 ish deer they were only bumping the does. In the evening he seen a Oh God 9 pt tending a doe. We both feel that it hasn't broke open yet down here. The best is yet to come.

Coworker was on his 4wheeler Wednesday night on his place in Madison county and had a nice 10 pt. tending a doe.

Hunted Thursday morning 7AM till noon. Had a little buck come by about 7:30 and work a scrape over close to my stand. And then about 9:30 three does walked under me and milled around my tree for a while and then wandered off. Climbed down about noon. So not much in signs of rut activity. Taking Friday and Saturday off. Will be hitting it again Sunday morning and all of next week. Still getting plenty of trail cam pics at night. Wright county

Saw a buck tending a doe yesterday out in the middle of a cornfield.

This morning i saw 4 bucks and about 7 or 8 Does. Bucks weren't doing much in the way of rutting, lightly cruising following since scent trail. One nice 2.5 year old was working a doe pretty hard for about a minute. Grunting a bunch.

4 bucks (2-3.5, 2.5, 1.5) a doe and 2 yotes so far this morning. Bumped doe a little and then back to cruising. One yote got a buzz cut. Dang!

Top Bottom