Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Deer movement update thread

Northern Clarke County today. Good action with chasing this morning, complete opposite tonight. Saw one fork buck and a fawn tonight. No rutting action.

Northern Clarke County today. Good action with chasing this morning, complete opposite tonight. Saw one fork buck and a fawn tonight. No rutting action.

SCIOWA. Been seeing for the most part non stop all day chasing the last few days but all 2.5yr olds. FWIW, I've seen just a few 3.5yr olds this November and I don't have any mature deer on camera so my updates here probably aren't revelant

Today 11/8 report. Central Iowa. I took the day off instead of tomorrow, weather looked a little more favorable. Hunted first light to last light. 3 small bucks cruising between 8am and 10am, a forkhorn and 2 what I would call slightmy better than basket-8's.

About 10:30, had a doe run down the ridge to me, grabbed my bow, old 9 point stepped out behind her. Big body and short face, but short tines too. Thought about taking him as he looked plenty old and offered me chip shot after chip shot. They milled around and bedded several times within 75 yards until about 2. The buck got up and made some scrapes then took off down the ridge.

Saw 1 more buck cruising around 3, just another 2 1/2 year old caliber deer. The original doe attracted a nice 8 point that was all of a sudden on here around 4 o'clock. As soon as I heard him grunt, I saw him and he ran her around for a few minutes. Nice deer, but young and brows were either broken off or just didn't grow them. Good time length but just an 8 and pretty spindly. All and all I would say a pretty good sit, despite not seeing a 'shooter'. That doe must have not been hot or maybe she just came out of it. In sure the original buck would have been dogging her more and wouldn't have left her.

Buchanan Fayette county is still slow to moderate with lots of 1-2 yr olds our cruising. Have seen several older class deer on their feet but it's not every sit yet. Gotta get good soon!!!

Hunting Jasper County it seems like I've either missed rut or it has not yet kicked in. Nice 10pt this AM but didn't have that wide eyed rut look and meandered off. Had 3 does at various times with no chasing....

East Central. Took my son to school and then went to vote so I wasn't able to climb into the stand until 10am, but it was two hours of non-stop action. 4 does, dozen bucks, passed a nice 3.5yr old 10pt 140s at 11:55, at 12:10 my #2 hitlist (moon-missile) a 4.5yr old came down the same path with a 130's 8pt flanking him. Moon Missile stopped at 15yds, but I couldn't get the angle and he walked away. It was 100% dead from 12:30 to 4:30 when I saw a yearling doe. Last light a small rag-horn 2.5 yr old came in. I spooked him off with a snort-wheeze & grunt/growl so I could climb down.

No vote tomorrow, but have to take the boy to school...so I'll be in the stand around 9am (I hope)...

Good action tonight. Had 7 does and 2 small buck and put a shot on a big mature buck. Had a pass thru and tracked him 600 yards thru a cut corn field until it turned into CRP. Pulled out and will keep looking tomorrow!

I was out for the first 45 minutes of the day in Davenport City limits. Usually the deer shut down pretty quick in the morning in this area and hole up in a thick piece of cover I can't hunt. Saw 2 hard chases from 2 different couples. One got me to take the bow off the hanger but I decided to pass. The other was right up by by a busy road. Buck didn't care at all. Both doe got away.

Dallas County Iowa Nov 9th, bucks out cruising. Two spikes and a nice basket so far this morning. Responding to rattling. happy hunting!!

Sat all day yesterday. Lost count of different bucks at 12. 2 shooters but not close enough. Best rut action I've experienced in my 12 years of hunting.

Same stand today....action shut off like someone flipped a switch...

Had a decent hunt this morning. A handful of does and three bucks (including one of my hitlisters). Bucks were mildly cruising. The big guy wouldn't come in to calling but stayed in the general area, I was just in the wrong stand. Hopefully he repeats the route again.

Full on lockdown here. Good action from time to time. Every day is different, only shooters I have seen have been locked down. NE IA

Jones county sat from 3pm till dark...one small basket and one brute. Big one responded to nothing. Sniffed a doe and walked away.....the wrong way.

Sat yesterday morning 11/9 in a stand deep in the timber i have been saving. Went in early and got settled 45-60 mins before first light. Once settled i could hear dear walking all around me. It got light and it was a doe with two fawns and a 1.5 y/o buck. The moved up the draw and bedded on the side hill. At 930 a 3 year old came up the drainage and bumped them up to scent check their beds. He spent a quick 30 seconds or so doing that and moved on.

Mid-late morning was dead moved to a different stand

Spent the afternoon in a stand in a fence line where I could see a long way in every direction in hopes of seeing something good. Watched two different doe groups come out into the plot from two different directions 9 does total at least 5 of which were 2 or older. Saw one spike buck at last light.

Not gonna get too down just yet because i was feeling bummed and seeing the same type of movement this time last year and then all hell broke loose for me 11/11 and lasted through the 16

Reactions: Ben
Wetsleeves said:
Sat yesterday morning 11/9 in a stand deep in the timber i have been saving. Went in early and got settled 45-60 mins before first light. Once settled i could hear dear walking all around me. It got light and it was a doe with two fawns and a 1.5 y/o buck. The moved up the draw and bedded on the side hill. At 930 a 3 year old came up the drainage and bumped them up to scent check their beds. He spent a quick 30 seconds or so doing that and moved on. Mid-late morning was dead moved to a different stand Spent the afternoon in a stand in a fence line where I could see a long way in every direction in hopes of seeing something good. Watched two different doe groups come out into the plot from two different directions 9 does total at least 5 of which were 2 or older. Saw one spike buck at last light. Not gonna get too down just yet because i was feeling bummed and seeing the same type of movement this time last year and then all hell broke loose for me 11/11 and lasted through the 16
I feel your pain. Last year I remember multiple encounters with bucks that atleast got my blood pumping. This year I'm at sit number 10 or 12 and haven't had a single encounter. Maybe the bow hunting buzz is wearing out for me .

Sitting time 30 hrs so far: Deer total 12 deer : 5 bucks, one 2 yr old, 4 yearlings: 7 does,,all yearling does: Would love to see a 3 yr old buck! Yes I am hunting in Iowa:

Bucks are really starting to get sent into Trophy Bucks Of Iowa - action seems to still be pretty area specific but its reallllly picking up now

Top Bottom