Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

deer scent

B

bundy

I have a ? for you fellow hunters. I started using doe estrus scent this weekend and had 2 different bucks at 2 different locations (both 1and1/2 year old bucks) come down the trail and when they got to the scent took off like they had been shot at.
I would like to know if it is because they are younger deer or if it is because of the scent I'm using. I thought the scent was a quality product.
I would also like to state that I'm very carefull about my own smell I shower with and use scent killer every time, and dress when I get to the field.
If it is because of the scent I obviously don't want to use it anymore.

I have had the same kind of reaction a couple of times I don't know if my scent did it or the lure. I don't use any scent now. I don't think there is a "Wonder Lure" out there that will draw in every buck around
later
R/B

I've had this happen as well, always with button bucks or forks. Usually when they spook, they only go about 20 yards and then return to a walk. I wonder if they aren't afraid of getting their butt kicked. It's not like deer are geniuses(sp?), so they probably come to associate that smell with getting run off.

Same here, two weeks ago had a basket 8pt, not even 10 inches on the spread make a bee line towards a scrap that I have put down a little doe gel on.

He sniffed for a minute, kept licking his lips and nose and that was it.

The way he "ran" off, it looked like he had been getting his ass kicked and didn't want any more of it.

At first I figured, it's windy, I have been in the stand for long time, many variables.

But, when I looked at the size of some of the trees that were getting the crap beat out of them, I don't think he was big enough to do the damage.

I'm glad I'm not alone on this one. I've used Tinks #69 about one week ago and didn't see a thing, when usually I do. I believe the does in the area were not quite to the estrus stage and it scared off any and all deer. I will resume the scent this weekend, as I assume the does will be in full heat. When I left my hunting area, I almost hit a small fork with my vehicle about 1 mile away from my stand... figures.

tried that 2001 scent last night did the sent trail to my lane in front of stand used a felt wick on a string tied to a 5 ft stick held to one side of path to stand walked accrossed a hay field that gets pretty good travel from one big timber to another had a good 8 pt cross path about 40 yrds in the field when he got to the scent stopped like ran into a brick wall stuck head into air and sniffed all around smelled trail again dropped his head and turned and RAN LIKE HELL back the way he came ?? Did this scent trail do this if so I think i will not ever try scents again this is two bad reactoins in two tries like i say "might have been born at night but not last night"
So ends my trying of the "Doe in Heat" scents for this year I think i will go back to just "luck" to shoot my Buck
just me R/B

I would agree with Hunter because this same thing has happened to me before. I believe that the does need to be in estrus cycle for the scent lure to work. Try using the scent in a couple of days or when rut begins to really pick up. Good Luck

Top Bottom