Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Denial

JNRBRONC

I pulled a card off a mineral lick today. I will be stopping that lick, not sure how, probably a combo of backhoe and gravel. Anyhow, I see posts of people saying that licks are seasonal. My trailcam history paints a different pic, with constant deer traffic.

With CWD coming, I'm not going to have a lick that encourages multiple local deer family units to swap spit.

I can't say I have ever got picture numbers over scrapes I have on mineral. Also deer put there face down in a wet saliva filled hole with a mineral lick, ingesting contaminated soil and fluids. Bad situation. Try dry white barn lime. Worked for me

if cwd is a real thing, nothing will stop it. Deer are deer. You think your mineral lick is detrimental to the deer heard but just sit in a treestand and keep track of how many deer you see touch noses.........its just how they interact. There's so much "unknown" about cwd that it's almost "fake news".

Cant tell you how many times I have watched deer lick each others nose/mouth area while greeting. But its a lot! Removing licks will do nothing to stop CWD.

CWD at its worst is in some of the remote places out west. I would venture to bet there are not mineral licks out in those places.....

I know one thing.... slaughtering the deer is NOT the answer. If the deer are going to die, let them die. If the state just kills them it just slows down natural selection. It is so stupid it is maddening.

CWD at its worst is in some of the remote places out west. I would venture to bet there are not mineral licks out in those places.....

I know one thing.... slaughtering the deer is NOT the answer. If the deer are going to die, let them die. If the state just kills them it just slows down natural selection. It is so stupid it is maddening.
So many people don't realize this. CWD is way more prevalent in Mule deer and Elk than in Whitetails. You don't see the western states freaking out about mineral sites....heck Utah, Colorado, & Wyoming all have feeding stations maintained by the Fish & Game dept. Can't stop or control it by allowing or disallowing feeding of deer.

I pulled a card off a mineral lick today. I will be stopping that lick, not sure how, probably a combo of backhoe and gravel. Anyhow, I see posts of people saying that licks are seasonal. My trailcam history paints a different pic, with constant deer traffic.

With CWD coming, I'm not going to have a lick that encourages multiple local deer family units to swap spit.

Where I hunt in MN feeding/mineral licks are now prohibited. CWD is all around, and one was detected on our farm. I had 4-5 pretty good sized mineral licks 2-3’ feet deep in the ground. I cut down a bunch of junk trees around the licks, completely filled them in with limbs/branches. Then dropped more and hinge cut so it is physically impossible for the deer to get in there. Why?
I have seen what our DNR has done when CWD is detected. Will it stop CWD? No, but at least in my area it may slow it down. Maybe CWD will be more prevalent somewhere else. I do not want the DNR coming back with sharpshooters and their pile of corn shooting deer at night 100 yrds from our fencelines. You think EHD kills deer. Put out a pile of corn, with someone hunting with a rifle, night vision scope and silencer whose sole mission is too kill as many deer as possible. Trust me, it’s hard to sleep at night.

Ok, those who say that CWD is going to happen no matter what and licks aren't an issue. How about we all sit around a supper table, take a bite with your fork, then hand the fork to the person to the right. Continue throughout the meal. Care to join me? Willy Suchy posed such a scenario during the Drury segments hosted on the DNR website.

Yes, deer nuzzle as a part of normal behavior, but why bring overlapping deer families to a common mineral site?

Ok, those who say that CWD is going to happen no matter what and licks aren't an issue. How about we all sit around a supper table, take a bite with your fork, then hand the fork to the person to the right. Continue throughout the meal. Care to join me? Willy Suchy posed such a scenario during the Drury segments hosted on the DNR website.

Yes, deer nuzzle as a part of normal behavior, but why bring overlapping deer families to a common mineral site?

ff81a767f2de5cac236ef47ce512bd2f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The one thing I have learned over the debate on CWD is you are either for it or against it. One can argue mineral licks all day long, yet no one wants to argue late season food plots that draw in hundreds of deer. Different situations, yet potentially exact same results. Depending on how it truly spreads since no one can really determine (not just deer to deer, Im talking how do infected deer show up 80 miles away) I think a suddenly larger factor is disposing deer carcasses that have not been tested. As I posted on this site before, I know a local conservation that throws carcasses out in an infected county and has a camera over it. If those deer were positive, I would be much more alarmed with that than a mineral lick. All of my farms that I hunt happen to be in CWD counties, and I do not plan to change my habits one bit. The sky is not falling yet, its been around for 40 years out west and no one can seem to come up with any definitive answers. If its been around that long with no answers, do we think maybe its a complete myth of what they feed us? perhaps...

And funny someone mentioned eating off the same fork.... I sat in a communion last weekend, watched the entire church drink out of the same cup......just saying

We going to lick each other in the face and run around chasing the same women having unprotected sex as well?

Point being, our 4 legged friends share bodily fluids as part of their natural existince and they do it a lot.

Why is this such a defensive topic I wonder? I look at it this way. Example,
Say I have 100 deer on a farm, say it's small maybe 100 acres loaded with cover and food. I only hunt it. Say I have 10 acres of food, for those 100 deer, and I have 5 mineral site. Mineral sites are 9 square feet of wet dirt maybe even a pool of water. Say all 100 deer visit those 45 sq ft regularly? Food plots and other feeding areas far exceed that in size. If 1 of those 100 deer contract cwd thru a mineral site it's one more than there would have otherwise been. Deer have survived a long time without mineral supplements. They only eat what they don't get from browse anyway. Mineral is for is hunters, sure it benefits deer, but we as hunters benefit far more.

CWD is very common in SW Wisconsin. Counties such as Iowa County have it fairly bad. That county has good deer hunting for quality bucks, and land prices are very high there. So I am no expert, but you would think both would be impacted, but so far not happening over there.

CWD is very common in SW Wisconsin. Counties such as Iowa County have it fairly bad. That county has good deer hunting for quality bucks, and land prices are very high there. So I am no expert, but you would think both would be impacted, but so far not happening over there.
They may test positive but whats the deer death toll? Here's the smoke and screen. Wy says best death year totals at 10%. That's on a good year. Out west for over 40 years. EHD can blow that out of the water. How many hunters have eaten deer that have recovered from EHD? And yet no human deaths or any testing for EHD. CWD seems to be a huge cash cow for somebody.

How are you going to stop the "deer families" from overlapping throughout the winter months?

This one seems to just be going in circles. I don't think anyone believes pulling mineral licks will stop CWD and it certainly won't stop deer from interacting in other ways. So, there is no need to argue that point.

The question is if pulling mineral licks can slow the spread. Based on how I understand it to be spread, it seems pulling mineral licks has the potential to slow the spread. No hard evidence, but that is the case on many things. Putting lots of deer in a very confusing fined area seems like a bad idea to me. Am I certain pulling mineral will help? No. Does it seem like a reasonable thing to do? Yep.

Top Bottom