Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Detailed Food Plot Instructions

boonerz

Hi Guys

I'm a new member to the site but have been following posts for awhile. I recently bought a piece of ground in Southern IA and have been really getting into deer management. I have bowhunted for almost 15 years but have never had the opportunity to plant food plots and work on habitat. I am getting really into it but having troubles getting started. I've tried a few food plots with minimal luck but I can't say I have really put a lot of extra work into it. I've basically just disced the soil, put the seed down, and harrowed over it. I know I need to be more involved but have no farming experience and I am having trouble figuring out exactly what I need to do.

I wanted to see if there were any links or discussions out there where someone spells out step for step what to do to plant a food plot. I obviously know it is too late for this year but I would like to have my ducks in a row next year come spring. When I read different forums I get confused and lost in the fertilizer, pesticides, Lime, etc. and get frustrated. I would love it if there was good instruction somewhere on when to spray weeds, disc, plant, fertilize, lime, etc. If someone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks guys and good luck this season!

Take a look at Dbletree's corner in the Whitetail Management section; Paul provides information on everything and more when it comes to deer management.

Thanks guys! Just wanting to plant rye, clover, brassicas, and possibly soybeans as that seems to be everyones recommendation. Appreciate the direction!

Thanks guys! Just wanting to plant rye, clover, brassicas, and possibly soybeans as that seems to be everyones recommendation. Appreciate the direction!

Depends on when your planting.

Brassicas and turnips (Late to middle July depending on where you live)

Rye, clover, oats etc. before labor day.

You can do some of these earlier (clover and chicory) by itself but you will

fight it all summer with the weeds.

Read DBL trees post on both of these. Great info. :way:

Top Bottom